NIT Changes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIT Changes

Reaction Score
So dumb. But then again, Rutgers lost to Hofstra at home in the NIT this year..anything can happen

But so dumb.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
IMO they should have limited the NIT to 1 team per P6 conference not given them 12 of the 32 spots guaranteed… who even owns the NIT? It’s not run by the NCAA, right? Is it like the CFP where it’s owned by the conferences?
It’s operated by the NCAA

Reaction Score
As did Trent Tucker. But that was before we got good.
Names and games from the past. I sure remember Trent Tucker bombing away at the Hartford Civic Center with Minnesota. Lindsey Hunter had a great game against UConn at Gampel as well. There was also the quick guard Rashad Phillips from Detroit Mercy in 2001.

The good thing about those NIT games at Gampel was that I had seats right on the floor across from the bench since there wasn't great interest in those games.

Reaction Score
I mean... I'd be more likely to tune into that trainwreck than a Jacksonville State vs Southeast Missouri State game...
Yes, but you said it yourself, a train wreck. I'd be more inclined to be interested in mid majors who got snubbed than freakin.....checks notes....16-19 Ohio state who would have made it this most recent season with the new criteria. Higher qualitly of bball between two 25+ win solid mid majors who just happened to lose in the finals.

What is likely to happen, or at least I wouldn't be shocked, is midmajors will simply forgo their conference tournaments and simply pick the regular season champ so the regular season champ avoids being screwed because of one bad long weekend.

Reaction Score
A bad decision that would spur an even worse one.

Is Emmert still on the NCAA payroll as a consultant for this?
I really don't think there will be that huge of an uptick in revenue by replacing some 26-7 Horizon vs 24-8 Big West match up with a match up that now has 14-18 Rutgers vs 15-18 Mississippi in its place. Most of the time these p6 teams don't even care about the NIT (unc declined this recent year) but can be huge for smaller conferences.

It just further screws the little guys and deincentives the regular season UNLESS the little guys either send regular season champs as their auto bid for the NCAAT OR give the 1 seed a bye to the finals or top 2 seeds byes to the semi finals (and seeds 3 and 4 to the quarters), or something like that. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for the NCAAT

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This doesn’t really matter to me. The NIT has become an afterthought. Although it will never happen, I wish the NCAA tournament would go back to 64 teams.

I think a lot of these moves are in reaction to greed and Division 1 getting bloated. If Division 1 only had 250 or so programs, there would be at least 8 less leagues, the tournament could go back to 64 without negatively affecting the major conferences, and the overall quality of play would be higher in both Divisions 1 and 2.

Reaction Score
It just further screws the little guys and deincentives the regular season UNLESS the little guys either send regular season champs as their auto bid for the NCAAT OR give the 1 seed a bye to the finals or top 2 seeds byes to the semi finals (and seeds 3 and 4 to the quarters), or something like that. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for the NCAAT

Reaction Score
This obviously sucks but it’s nice, for once, to be considered a power conference.

Reaction Score
They ruined it by moving the final away from MSG That was the only reason it was fun - a chance to go to the big apple for fans and the teams
Where do they have it now?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
That's the speculation. Still this blows. No teams get screwed more than regular season champs from small conferences who don't win the tournament. Regular season should >> conf tournaments.
But that is their choice!

The conferences decide the allocation of the automatic bid. They typically reserve it to the tourney champ to keep their tournament relevant.

They could give it to the regular season champ should they come to agree with you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But that is their choice!

The conferences decide the allocation of the automatic bid. They typically reserve it to the tourney champ to keep their tournament relevant.

They could give it to the regular season champ should they come to agree with you.
Sure. But it’s a choice every major conference makes knowing there is no cost for them. I do think the small conferences should go with the regular season champ, but this is the NIT. They don’t even want them in the NIT.

Reaction Score
Big East has always been considered a power conference in basketball.
On the surface, yes. But I’ve never seen, in writing, the NCAA classifying the BE in the same category as the other power conferences. They now are.

Reaction Score

Assisted access link <<

-> That, perhaps more than anything, is the real rub in all of this. The last round of conference expansion has removed any semblance of collegiality in college athletics. A 100-year-old league has crumbled and its last standing members, Washington State and Oregon State, have filed an injunction against their former partners. The ACC nearly had to stiff-arm its members into agreeing to admit Stanford and Cal, and even with the additions, Clemson and Florida State could leave.

Saving or killing the NIT will not be the death knell in any of this, but a Power 6-tilted format delivered with the sneakiness of a perfectly timed Friday news dump isn’t easing anyone’s worries. The commissioners all say they intend to make their displeasure known — some already have reached out to NCAA executive vice president Dan Gavitt. “Is it the end of the world? No. We have so many fish to fry with the College Football Playoff issues (and) the NCAA Tournament expansion conversation, but the NIT has importance to a lot of schools,’’ Aresco said. “Let’s not minimize that. But more than that, the camaraderie within the NCAA seems to be fraying considerably. This does not help. It does not help at all.’’ <-

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It’d be something if this triggered all smaller conferences to cancel their conference tournaments.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It’d be something if this triggered all smaller conferences to cancel their conference tournaments.
GIven win shares are more likely when you send your best team, I"d think this would be top of the agenda for conferences that don't have divisions. And would probably lead those that do to eliminate divisions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom