NIT Acceptance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIT Acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Easy, Hoss. I'm not saying to throw the opener and make it a glorified practice. I'm just suggesting that maybe Boat doesn't have to play 40 minutes like he has been.

I went to the Detroit game too; and I was on campus in '88 when we won the NIT. It was partly the fond memories of '88 that motivated me to attend that Detroit game (IIRC, it would also have been JC's 600th victory--if we won), but I agree that that was not an experience that makes me want to attend another NIT game.

How would you even coach that way?

Seems like it would be difficult to kinda coach with both objectives in mind.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How would you even coach that way?

Seems like it would be difficult to kinda coach with both objectives in mind.
I dunno--call me radical but I'm thinking maybe play Boat 30-35 minutes instead of 38-40.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I dunno--call me radical but I'm thinking maybe play Boat 30-35 minutes instead of 38-40.

Good call. Those extra 6 minutes TSam sees will certainly make an impact next season.

Play Boat. Play to win.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Boatright averages 35 minutes / game. You're not exactly going out on a limb there.

I don't think UConn's 2016 starting Point guard is currently on the team. I don't know what the benefit would be to not playing your best player in any game unless he is significantly injured. What does Ollie actually say to his team and what does the action indicate to the rest of the team?
Outside of DHam and Purvis to a lesser extent, this team just experienced playing in the Final Four and winning the entire thing. After this season and how mentally taxing it was, I see very little, if any, good that will come from the NIT. I have read how teams use this as a catapult to future NCAA success. Tell me, how many of those programs have 4 titles?

No they didn't. Boatright played 70 minutes in the Final 4. Nolan played 34 minutes in the Final 4. Brimah played 25 minutes in the Final 4 and Samuel played 29 minutes in the Final 4.
Not only did no other player on the team have significant minutes, they did not step foot on the court. Not Calhoun, not Facey, and certainly not Purvis, Hamilton or Lubin.

Reaction Score
Given the team's goal of NCAA tournament success and Boat's clearly stated goal of that, it is going to be tough for them to hit re-start and do exceptionally well in the NIT. But as fans we just want more games and quite frankly they've actually maximized their games by losing Sunday and now playing in the NIT. They should have at least 2 more.

A weird brightside, but I think ending the season and quitting on the NIT would actually be easier and LESS motivating versus playing in a tournament they did not want to be in. It is not a punishment, but a more visceral reminder that they need to do more to get where they want to be. Easier to just stop playing and forget. The reps will help the young players etc...

Reaction Score
Boatright averages 35 minutes / game. You're not exactly going out on a limb there.

I don't think UConn's 2016 starting Point guard is currently on the team. I don't know what the benefit would be to not playing your best player in any game unless he is significantly injured. What does Ollie actually say to his team and what does the action indicate to the rest of the team?

No they didn't. Boatright played 70 minutes in the Final 4. Nolan played 34 minutes in the Final 4. Brimah played 25 minutes in the Final 4 and Samuel played 29 minutes in the Final 4.
Not only did no other player on the team have significant minutes, they did not step foot on the court. Not Calhoun, not Facey, and certainly not Purvis, Hamilton or Lubin.
But they were there and a part of it(Outside of Lubin). Even without stepping foot on the floor, you don't go from that to getting pumped up for the NIT. This isn't about getting young guys exeprience or the program using this as a springboard. Thankfully, that shipped sailed 20 plus years ago.

Quite frankly, the NIT is a let down, even for these players.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
We should pull this thread back up when the football team goes 6-6 next year and gets a bid to the St. Petersburg Bowl (or other crappy bid). After all it's a 2nd rate event. They should get rid of all bowls except the Rose Bowl and National Championship Playoff. Long past being excited for that. Don't want the kids thinking that's acceptable. Just go home and aim fresh for the Humanitarian Bowl next year.
Don't get me wrong, the way we played this year, we deserve the NIT, and I'll watch and root on our guys.

But are you really trying to compare UConn football, to its mens bball team?!? Because if so, these two programs are in entirely 2 different time zones, let alone continents. The football squad is more comparable to Alabama Basketball, where our men's basketball is more Alabama Football. Just because the football team would be overjoyed to play in the "Family Dollar Store" Bowl, doesn't mean the mens bball squad should be honored to play in the NIT. The football team has a looooong way to go to be even distant cousins to UConn Men's Basketball.

A quote from our best player:
"I didn't come back my senior year, to play in no NIT".... Doesn't seem like the captain is overjoyed

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Went to the Detroit game years ago and sat behind the bench. Never saw such an unenthused looking team before. I agree, why not. But I would never go nor would I ever et on a UConn team who has nothing to win vs teams who would love to beat a program with UC's reputation.

The most vivid memory of that game was watching Detroit run out, as a team, onto the court after the half and then watching the Huskies trudge out in groups of 2 or 3. We got spanked that night.

Reaction Score
The most vivid memory of that game was watching Detroit run out, as a team, onto the court after the half and then watching the Huskies trudge out in groups of 2 or 3. We got spanked that night.

Yup, Lindsey Hunter smoked us if I remember correctly(or not :) )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there even 1 team ever who has said no to the NIT? These are really good teams in this tourney--this is the basis of how this college started getting good. No one would ever consider this train of thought.
Alabama might. They have no coach.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This isn't about getting young guys exeprience or the program using this as a springboard.

Why not? The team is young and, other than Nolan and Brimah, inexperienced. 20 years ago has zero to do with right now. These players weren't even alive then.

Husky25

Reaction Score
But are you really trying to compare UConn football, to its mens bball team?!?

Not exactly. I'm comparing the attitude toward the NIT as a second rate event and the current uppity entitled nature of UConn fans. Kentucky won the National Title in 2012. In 2013, they were something like 20-12, lost in the first round of the SEC Tournament, was the #1 seed in the NIT, and lost in the 1st Round at Rupp Arena. I don't want UConn to be compared to Kentucky other than the score at the end of a win (Which UConn has the last 3 times they've played). Especially their fans.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Not exactly. I'm comparing the attitude toward the NIT as a second rate event and the current uppity entitled nature of UConn fans. Kentucky won the National Title in 2012. In 2013, they were something like 20-12, lost in the first round of the SEC Tournament, was the #1 seed in the NIT, and lost in the 1st Round at Rupp Arena. I don't want UConn to be compared to Kentucky other than the score at the end of a win (Which UConn has the last 3 times they've played). Especially their fans.
It wasn't at the Rupp, it was at Robert Morris.......
But ya I hear ya, somebody better talk to Boat then, bc I can assure you he wants no part of it...

Husky25

Reaction Score
It wasn't at the Rupp, it was at Robert Morris..
But ya I hear ya, somebody better talk to Boat then, bc I can assure you he wants no part of it...

So maybe Ollie does limit Boatright's minutes, but if he wants to make an NBA team in the fall, he'll find a way to get up for the game. NBA GMs tend to shy away from undersized point guards who display a lack of self motivation.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The NIT is like a fat chick....

When you don't have any suitors, you're happy to be in it.. But you're not necessarily bragging about it either.

Maybe that fat chick can show our bigs how to rebound. We need that physical post presence.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the NIT is not acceptable by UConn standards, but I'm not going to bail on the kids bc of this reason... We went to the nit after we went to the final four and then won the national championship the year after... we were banned and then won a national championship... maybe these kids need a kick in the ass after coming in and winning a NC... after the NIT a few years ago, kemba was pissed and posted the ranking in the locker room and said something along the lines of that they dont believe in us, we're uconn... and you see what happened that season, you heard bazz after the NC...you've read how badly Adams wants to get here and help the team... If the team works hard in the offseason and get's the chemistry going, I think we will be good... bazz, daniels, boat, giff, all new each others tendencies so when they were clicking, they were on fire... The last thing the kids need is for the fans to bail on them just because they had a hard time learning a new way of playing this season

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, the way we played this year, we deserve the NIT, and I'll watch and root on our guys.

But are you really trying to compare UConn football, to its mens bball team?!? Because if so, these two programs are in entirely 2 different time zones, let alone continents. The football squad is more comparable to Alabama Basketball, where our men's basketball is more Alabama Football. Just because the football team would be overjoyed to play in the "Family Dollar Store" Bowl, doesn't mean the mens bball squad should be honored to play in the NIT. The football team has a looooong way to go to be even distant cousins to UConn Men's Basketball.

A quote from our best player:
"I didn't come back my senior year, to play in no NIT".... Doesn't seem like the captain is overjoyed
agreed but no reason for the fans to take their anger out on the kids or not to support them

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
When you have 4 Championships, why not have some fun and embrace the NIT for one season?

Who the cares? We are rebuilding and can just go out and stomp the field. How many 2015 NCAA Tourney teams have multiple championships? I forget the year but the recent 1st/2nd round loss to Iowa State (?) was not a good feeling.

Perhaps a strong showing in the NIT will be better than a 1st/2nd round NCAA loss for this squad. Our kids need confidence and need to go into next season on a high. Especially losing our leader for the 2nd straight year.

Plus Ollie gets more opportunity to work this group, and Purvis a real chance to turn the corner. Brimah and Nolan need the work, and certainly Omar and TSam. Hell Facey and Lubin will get some more work as a team instead of waiting for 6 months. Imagine DHam averaging double digits in points/boards. I'm just saying there's a lot to gain from this extra 'little' Tourney, and there are some decent teams in it. And we have rings and NCAA Trophies galore, every fan here has experienced at least one Championship feeling and 'One Shining Moment' which is much more than the average fan.

Lets put the NIT Tourney negatives (or stigma if you will) aside and enjoy Boat and his shipmates one last time. We can excited, because "we can", if that makes sense. If we don's show excitement at Gampel, perhaps the team won't either, which is unfair to Boat. We all know that they feed off of us.

Also Yale was not selected so we have no team to fear!

So who's with me encouraging/cheering this team on to a NIT Trophy?

I refuse to watch anymore basketball this season.
kentucky is ruining the sport.
hearing mike francessa call kentucky 1 of the best teams in the last 40 years,
made me puke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members