Nina Davis, oh my! | The Boneyard

Nina Davis, oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Impressive. Sims needed twice as many shots last year to get the same scoring stats, but that's the difference between a rebounding-machine forward and a guard.

And here's the kicker: at 56.7%, Davis is only 4th on her team in shooting percentage behind three players in the 60+% range. Granted the teams besides the KY loss have a very poor rating, but a 51.o% team FG% is nice, especially when your opponents are shooting 30.3%. That will likely change in a few weeks once the Bears start playing more teams that aren't named Stetson or Texas Pan-American.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Her shooting % was dragged down when Mulkey experimented with her at the 3 position. Davis is not a 3...she is a 4, despite being undersized.

Her gifts are her speed and quickness...and HEART. The girl flat out gets after it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Davis is a true soph. And a unique case in which ALL of her bball gifts will never fully be seen. As POY in Tennessee two years ago she played point guard at 6'1". She does NOT have a jump shot, though. Her free throw shot is UGLY (think two handed that starts as if she has the ball sitting on the top of her head and it really is only an inch or two above her head). She dribbles adequately that in a small Tenneessee school she can get the ball down the court right handed and can go to the bucket one on one, but by traffic in the paint, not much dribble coordination. she is slight in build.

That means, she has no natural position at the D1 level at 6'1". Kim's experiment to bring her out to a 3/4 position player was well tried, but like Griner was her first two years, she's never learned how to "feel" the game going on behind her with her back to the basket. coaches have been working with all of our #5 on their fame away from the basket to "make a move" so that we can create shots in the paint instead of just put-back shots. From 15' out Nina was receiving the ball with her back to the basket and in the few games we have played when she turned to make a move to the goal, she was then double and sometimes tripled from behind so that going neither right nor left with a post move got anything other than a defensive foul or a charge as she tried to "make a move."

All of that said, which sounds negative, I'm one of her biggest fans. And I fully expect to see her back on the low block as a #4 when conference starts with Cave moving around the paint at the true #5. There, as I mentioned in a different post, she has much quicker feet than the other bigs around her, she gets position, especially opposite the ball, and she has the quickness, strength, and athleticism to get the ball back up quckly even with bigger, heavier-armed girls around her. She draws lots of fouls with her quick put back, but her most effective scoring technique is simply an ability to get the ball up quickly to an open window and get a quick kiss off the glass.

She will also lead the team in bruises. She is a ball rat. And her quickness has her typically winning a lot of floor fights for possession.

Quite simply, an enigma. A 6'1" post who will lead the team in scoring at around 20 points, with more than half of those coming against girls 3-4 inches taller than her.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Davis is a true soph. And a unique case in which ALL of her bball gifts will never fully be seen. As POY in Tennessee two years ago she played point guard at 6'1". She does NOT have a jump shot, though. Her free throw shot is UGLY (think two handed that starts as if she has the ball sitting on the top of her head and it really is only an inch or two above her head). She dribbles adequately that in a small Tenneessee school she can get the ball down the court right handed and can go to the bucket one on one, but by traffic in the paint, not much dribble coordination. she is slight in build.

Now THAT's the kind of level-headed, detailed kind of player analysis I love to read— informed advocacy, short on emotion, long on observation. Thank you!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

That means, she has no natural position at the D1 level at 6'1". Kim's experiment to bring her out to a 3/4 position player was well tried, but like Griner was her first two years, she's never learned how to "feel" the game going on behind her with her back to the basket. coaches have been working with all of our #5 on their fame away from the basket to "make a move" so that we can create shots in the paint instead of just put-back shots. From 15' out Nina was receiving the ball with her back to the basket and in the few games we have played when she turned to make a move to the goal, she was then double and sometimes tripled from behind so that going neither right nor left with a post move got anything other than a defensive foul or a charge as she tried to "make a move."

All of that said, which sounds negative, I'm one of her biggest fans. And I fully expect to see her back on the low block as a #4 when conference starts with Cave moving around the paint at the true #5. There, as I mentioned in a different post, she has much quicker feet than the other bigs around her, she gets position, especially opposite the ball, and she has the quickness, strength, and athleticism to get the ball back up quckly even with bigger, heavier-armed girls around her. She draws lots of fouls with her quick put back, but her most effective scoring technique is simply an ability to get the ball up quickly to an open window and get a quick kiss off the glass.

She will also lead the team in bruises. She is a ball rat. And her quickness has her typically winning a lot of floor fights for possession.

Quite simply, an enigma. A 6'1" post who will lead the team in scoring at around 20 points, with more than half of those coming against girls 3-4 inches taller than her.

My analysis: she's a baller!

Reaction Score
Nina Davis will need some help this year.If Baylor is going to be successful.She want score 43 points against a good defensive team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Davis with 33 points on 12-15 (9-11 FT) shooting today. I'm looking forward to some games against teams with high quality talent.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Davis with 33 points on 12-15 (9-11 FT) shooting today. I'm looking forward to some games against teams with high quality talent.
Wait a minute ETT, from 43 down to 33? That's not a good trend.

But yeah, very impressive player, FTs were good today (but you know they won't always be), but only 6 rebbies against Stephen F.? One more and the Bears are up to a +20 margin. But in only 26 minutes, no one should complain much with those stats. Again, once B12 play starts, things should get interesting.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Davis is 31 of 38 from the FT line over the past 3 games so I'm hoping she stays at a 70%+ clip the for remainder of the season.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Davis is 31 of 38 from the FT line over the past 3 games so I'm hoping she stays at a 70%+ clip the for remainder of the season.
Very doable since she was at 68.5% last year, but there's just something about 70% that seems a wee bit nicer. And at that point, teams think twice about fouling her underneath.

Have to admit she is one of my favorite players just because she's my height but plays like she's 10 inches taller, or maybe she plays like she's Dennis Rodman on the boards (when she has to, not against SF Austin). Just don't want to see her running around like DR in a wedding dress, and that seems like a safe bet.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Very doable since she was at 68.5% last year, but there's just something about 70% that seems a wee bit nicer. And at that point, teams think twice about fouling her underneath.

Have to admit she is one of my favorite players just because she's my height but plays like she's 10 inches taller, or maybe she plays like she's Dennis Rodman on the boards (when she has to, not against SF Austin). Just don't want to see her running around like DR in a wedding dress, and that seems like a safe bet.

Little known fact that Gary Blair coached Dennis Rodman's sisters, Kim and Deborah, in high school at South Oak Cliff in Dallas. I believe both went on to play at La Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom