Nimari Burnett Texas Tech Transfer | The Boneyard

Nimari Burnett Texas Tech Transfer

Reaction Score
One of the things that has stood out to me the past 2 weeks has been the lack of ball handlers. Cole and Gaff are definitely serviceable but we need more depth at the 1-3 positions.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't see Uconn listed in the Tweet shown above. Here is what is says. Is there another source somewhere?

The following programs reached out to Burnett, he told Stockrisers.com:

Oregon, San Diego State, Colorado State, Illinois, Vandy, South Carolina, Alabama, Dayton, Mizzou, Arizona State, Maryland, Wake Forest, DePaul, USC, and Marquette.

Prior to his commitment to the Red Raiders, the heaviest programs involved were Alabama, Michigan, and Oregon. He took all of his official visits but ultimately chose Lubbock. But as he has entered the portal, two of those programs (Bama and Oregon), have already reached out to Burnett which is something worth noting.

On another note, Burnett attended Morgan Park (IL) prior to his high school transfer to Prolific Prep. Illinois is considered home to him and the Fighting Illini’ have also reached out to Nimari Burnett as he has entered the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Yes, please.

Beard recruits tough, physical and versatile players who excel on defense, but Burnett provides an offensive profile that a typical Tech recruit doesn't have. Definitely some qualities between Beard and Hurley that are shared in terms of the high school player they like to get.

Here's 247's report on him, written by Brian Snow:

A big-bodied guard who excels both on and off the ball. When he plays on the ball, he uses his frame with great length to overpower defenders and get to into the lane. Once there, Burnett shows solid floor vision and is good at finding shooters. When he plays off the ball, Burnett makes himself into a scorer who can get buckets by both attacking the basket and from deep. While he is a better athlete than most expect at first blush, he does need to continue to get into better shape - which should help all aspects of his game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the things that has stood out to me the past 2 weeks has been the lack of ball handlers. Cole and Gaff are definitely serviceable but we need more depth at the 1-3 positions.
Actually our backcourt depth has proven to be a strength. We have 5 guards on our roster (including one of the best in the country) and 2 of the 5 have been out.

Reaction Score
Kind of crowded at his position, no?

Cole, Gaffney, Diggins, Hawkins, and Adams already all capable of playing the 1/2, and then Floyd coming in the next year.

Reaction Score
I don't see Uconn listed in the Tweet shown above. Here is what is says. Is there another source somewhere?

The following programs reached out to Burnett, he told Stockrisers.com:

Oregon, San Diego State, Colorado State, Illinois, Vandy, South Carolina, Alabama, Dayton, Mizzou, Arizona State, Maryland, Wake Forest, DePaul, USC, and Marquette.

Prior to his commitment to the Red Raiders, the heaviest programs involved were Alabama, Michigan, and Oregon. He took all of his official visits but ultimately chose Lubbock. But as he has entered the portal, two of those programs (Bama and Oregon), have already reached out to Burnett which is something worth noting.

On another note, Burnett attended Morgan Park (IL) prior to his high school transfer to Prolific Prep. Illinois is considered home to him and the Fighting Illini’ have also reached out to Nimari Burnett as he has entered the transfer portal.
Well that article in the tweet was written Jan 13th, and we just reached out to him.

Reaction Score

Cole, Gaffney, Diggins, Hawkins, and Adams already all capable of playing the 1/2, and then Floyd coming in the next year.
I think he will just be competing with Adams and Hawkins... and it’s possible Adams could graduate and move on.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A lot of attention will be brought to the program if we land. He and his mother star in the reality show Bringing Up Ballers.

Reaction Score

Need playmakers, every game without Bouk showcases how deficient we are there. A McDonald's AA isn't gonna be scared of that group at all. JC recruited talent and talent won out. Let it play itself out. We're not going back to where we wanna be with the current group we have.

Super excited for Diggins and Hawkins. But Hawkins seems like headed towards a 2/3 or 3/2 with growth and reportedly ok handle being a weakness. Think Hawkins will be a star for us!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Yikes I’ve never read an article this harsh on a player transferring. Calls him wildly overrated. Says staff was happy to see him leave. Informed staff via text message?

Reaction Score
He struggled in his first 12 games, but was a freshman. Didn't shoot well from 3 or 2, and turned the ball over a lot while not really creating for others. His free throw form bodes well for his future shooting, though, and his athletic indicators are high (blocks, steals, fouls drawn).

Reaction Score
Yikes I’ve never read an article this harsh on a player transferring. Calls him wildly overrated. Says staff was happy to see him leave. Informed staff via text message?

We should have learned with Larrier that when a highly-touted recruit underperforms in college, you should believe the college performance and not the high school ranking.

That said, this guy was more highly rated and has less of a track record than Larrier, so there may be more upside here. But this seems like a pretty significant red flag.

Also, shoutout to Alterique Gilbert as a McDAA who didn't pan out.

Reaction Score

Yeah, wow. Hard pass. 28% from the floor and 17% from 3? Once you get to college, being a McDs AA stops mattering and your performance on the floor does.

Reaction Score

That article sounds like it was written by a high school kid trying to sound smart. Every blank is filled in with the author’s rank speculation to rip a kid.

Hurley’s gonna do what he’s gonna do, I doubt he ends up here but when I saw Prolific Prep play a few times this kid jumped off the screen.

Reaction Score
He was a freshman that struggled in a pandemic destroyed season. If Hurley thinks he’s worth the shot, I trust Hurley

I agree, though I doubt we make much of a real recruiting effort to get him here.

Reaction Score
Hard PASS on kids who are athletic but cannot shoot the ball at this level. Basket getters win you games in college, sid wilson types do not.

Reaction Score
Hard PASS on kids who are athletic but cannot shoot the ball at this level. Basket getters win you games in college, sid wilson types do not.
I agree, but with the caveat that he's only played 12 games.

That said, I think people tend to underreact rather than overreact to that sample. It may not be the whole story, but it is a factor that should be considered.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom