NIL (Poke holes in my theory) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL (Poke holes in my theory)

Reaction Score
Honestly, the more you type the worse it gets. These are honestly just awful ideas. I agree they should be able to go pro out of HS.

But the idea of saying to a kid you can't see this money until you graduate is absolutely insane. If a school or booster thinks they can do that to a kid they are quickly going to realize they're not getting a single top recruit anymore. Why would any top recruit want to wait 20 years to see their NIL money? The purpose is to give these kids money to live now.

I could keep going because there's about 100,000 issues with this system you came up with but it's not worth the time
But there is one good point:

I agree they should be able to go pro out of HS.

LMAO

Reaction Score
I don’t think we need the NCAA or these institutions being the financial stewards of legal adults (yes, they are young). Especially since most institutions aren’t even good stewards of their own finances lmao.

Allow universities to provide the necessary financial and legal support resources to their athletes and let them / their families decide how to invest or spend the money. But that should be the extent of their involvement.
Interesting take on this almost like an IRA? They choose their investment vehicle. I like it. Not sure that's how you meant it though.

Reaction Score
I want the product to prosper, but not at the expense of the student-athletes. You don't seem to care about what benefits them; just what would make college basketball more enjoyable for you.

I think prioritizing their college degree means I am caring about them. But your point is well made.....I do care about the game and its future. That is the main point for sure.

Reaction Score
Fundamental misunderstanding of this. Everyone, including HS kids can market themselves and make money. Like TikTok or Instagram stars. The NCAA used to say you can’t do that and retain eligibility. All that has changed is that the NCAA can no longer prevent that. They could still prevent boosters from using NIL to influence recruiting, but it’s legally complex so they don’t have those rules in place yet. They will. Schools cannot pay NIL money.

The only role the school has is whether or not they will let the student athlete promote themselves in uniform or in association with the school. They can also help connect kids to opportunities with advertisers etc. That they do control. Paige can’t do a Gatorade add in a UConn jersey unless UConn permits it. This is the same for pro athletes by the way.
The only role the school has is whether or not they will let the student athlete promote themselves in uniform or in association with the school.

If you focused only on this portion of NIL wouldn't that still be something worth managing towards promoting graduating/degrees and loyalty to the school.

This is a great response thank you!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Interesting take on this almost like an IRA? They choose their investment vehicle. I like it. Not sure that's how you meant it though.
No haha, let the universities vet advisors for them (which is currently illegal) so they can make their own financial decision with a trusted source…

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
@cap10mayhem

Shaq Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
No haha, let the universities vet advisors for them (which is currently illegal) so they can make their own financial decision with a trusted source…
I love this.

Reaction Score
They can
Yeah with "technicality" and restriction. If we are going to allow them to be adults, which really isn't anyone else's decision once they are 18, they should be draft able into the NBA out of HS is my point. The 19 AND 1 rule get rid of it.

Reaction Score
The NIL is new thing and in time it will self correct. Right now it seems a lot of athletes are making their decision to play a certain place is based on how much money they can get now opposed to where they have the best shot at being developed into a long term pro prospect. In time if that proves to be true then athletes will put more weight on the long term consequences of their decision.

The natural reaction is to jump in and fix it now. The problem is too many times good intentions lead to bad outcomes and when it comes to this the outcome is affecting the athletes lives. We need to let it play out and leave it to the athletes to correct where correcting is necessary.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think prioritizing their college degree means I am caring about them. But your point is well made.....I do care about the game and its future. That is the main point for sure.

Should Zion Williamson have prioritized a college degree over his actual calling, which is playing professional basketball? Should Cooper Flagg? They can both go back to school and get their college degrees, but they would never get those tens of millions of dollars back that they defer by being forced to stay 4 years.

The bottom line is, they deserve to make that choice themselves. You're choosing to decide what's best for them (which, coincidentally, is what is best for you as a fan).

Reaction Score
Should Zion Williamson have prioritized a college degree over his actual calling, which is playing professional basketball? Should Cooper Flagg? They can both go back to school and get their college degrees, but they would never get those tens of millions of dollars back that they defer by being forced to stay 4 years.

The bottom line is, they deserve to make that choice themselves. You're choosing to decide what's best for them (which, coincidentally, is what is best for you as a fan).
Why does it have to be over their calling? Why can't prioritizing a college degree be "prioritizing" and not always "top priority."

I think you are knowingly redrawing the lines of the conversation on this one but the answer is no. NO I think they should choose school or the NBA. If they want to go and have the ability they should be allowed the option to go straight into the NBA.

Who suggested anywhere they are forced to stay for 4 years? Nobody suggested forcing anyone to do anything. On the contrary actually. I suggested incentivizing players that are going to college to stay at the school they committed to and rewarding them for graduating. I don't know that this thought is relative at all to Cooper or Zion leave it as is or change it. Where they are done wrong is the "waste" of a year to fake through being a college student when everyone already knows where they belong. Now maybe they would see the value in spending a year in college WITHOUT being forced into that or Ignite etc. Many people here argued that we can't withhold their money but to me that's somewhat a silly argument because realistically by telling a legal adult they aren't allowed to go into the NBA you are doing the exact same thing? It's the chicken or the egg.

Don't make the kids that don't want to be there go to college. Reward graduation if they do decide to go even if it's 10 years later. Reward loyalty to a program. It's not as simple as I put it by any means but it's a thought. A thought that has nothing to do with Flagg being forced to stay 4 years, if you were actually paying attention.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Why does it have to be over their calling? Why can't prioritizing a college degree be "prioritizing" and not always "top priority."

I think you are knowingly redrawing the lines of the conversation on this one but the answer is no. NO I think they should choose school or the NBA. If they want to go and have the ability they should be allowed the option to go straight into the NBA.

Who suggested anywhere they are forced to stay for 4 years? Nobody suggested forcing anyone to do anything. On the contrary actually. I suggested incentivizing players that are going to college to stay at the school they committed to and rewarding them for graduating. I don't know that this thought is relative at all to Cooper or Zion leave it as is or change it. Where they are done wrong is the "waste" of a year to fake through being a college student when everyone already knows where they belong. Now maybe they would see the value in spending a year in college WITHOUT being forced into that or Ignite etc. Many people here argued that we can't withhold their money but to me that's somewhat a silly argument because realistically by telling a legal adult they aren't allowed to go into the NBA you are doing the exact same thing? It's the chicken or the egg.

Don't make the kids that don't want to be there go to college. Reward graduation if they do decide to go even if it's 10 years later. Reward loyalty to a program. It's not as simple as I put it by any means but it's a thought. A thought that has nothing to do with Flagg being forced to stay 4 years, if you were actually paying attention.

I shouldn't have said "forced," you're right. It's more like you're punishing them for going to college for less than 4 years or transferring.

As for going straight to the NBA and the distinction between that and your plan, the "one and done" rule is the NBA's, not the NCAA's. They decided that too many players were flaming out, and while that's their right, it was hurting the franchises that had to roll the dice on these unprepared kids, so they made the decision based on what's best for them as an organization. That doesn't bother me as much because once a player does make it to the NBA they're receiving a salary. Your plan seems like a way to try to avoid paying players.

Reaction Score
I shouldn't have said "forced," you're right. It's more like you're punishing them for going to college for less than 4 years or transferring.

As for going straight to the NBA and the distinction between that and your plan, the "one and done" rule is the NBA's, not the NCAA's. They decided that too many players were flaming out, and while that's their right, it was hurting the franchises that had to roll the dice on these unprepared kids, so they made the decision based on what's best for them as an organization. That doesn't bother me as much because once a player does make it to the NBA they're receiving a salary. Your plan seems like a way to try to avoid paying players.
I can see how it could be seen as avoiding pay by rewarding staying and graduating. The thought certainly lacks depth but the goal was more around creating graduating student athletes, less (but not eliminating) transfer portal bs, and still getting the kids paid in a way that might also brighten their future. After all, that is what college is supposed to be all about. Just poking at how student athletes are considerably more about the athlete now. If that's the case let them make money and do it where they choose to without restrictions. I would love to see the college track returned to being about getting a degree. I like that they get paid now, they should have that opportunity, but if they choose college I'd love to see some sort of incentive built in along with being loyal and graduating. The original thought may have been extreme but I wanted to hear what y'all had to say!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom