NIL needs fixing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL needs fixing

Reaction Score
NIL became a recruiting tool the minute it was allowed. How could anyone think for a second that it wouldn't? People that insist that "it was never meant to become a recruiting tool" seem so precious to me. Over their head, even.
He said it wasn't the intent of NIL. He also wasn't president of the NCAA when NIL started. So he's saying that going forward they need to regulate NIL so it can't be used for recruiting purposes. But you're right, it's going to be impossible to put that toothpaste back in the tube.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
NIL became a recruiting tool the minute it was allowed. How could anyone think for a second that it wouldn't? People that insist that "it was never meant to become a recruiting tool" seem so precious to me. Over their head, even.
But the NCAA never "allowed" it. The Supreme Court did. Using it for recruiting still violates NCAA rules right now. The NCAA hasn't enforced those rules because it has to comply with the ruling and fears further litigation. That is why it is going to Congress asking for help.

Reaction Score
But the NCAA never "allowed" it. The Supreme Court did. Using it for recruiting still violates NCAA rules right now. The NCAA hasn't enforced those rules because it has to comply with the ruling and fears further litigation. That is why it is going to Congress asking for help.

The NCAA hasn't enforced those rules, and they'll never be able to either. Charlie Baker can pretend he's trying, but it's never going to happen

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The NCAA hasn't enforced those rules, and they'll never be able to either. Charlie Baker can pretend he's trying, but it's never going to happen
Oh I think it will happen in some form, just not at all like it was before.

Reaction Score
Oh I think it will happen in some form, just not at all like it was before.
I'm not convinced. They can try, but it will just go back to how it was pre-NIL with players getting paid under table to go to a certain school

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes. They will find a way. The restrictions won’t be on the schools. It will be back on boosters. So how will they enforce that? It’s really hard. Basically you can’t tell a kid they can’t earn NIL money, in HS or college. That’s the reality.

So you’d need to find a way to target boosters promising NIL in exchange for recruitment to a particular school and impose sanctions against the school or the Booster (banned from games). I also don’t think they can prevent Nike and Adidas from doing a deal with a HS kid if they go to a Nike or Adidas school (generically). They wouldn’t be boosters. Maryland is probably disadvantaged here.

I also don’t think the NCAA can stop a school from promoting that it may have lots of NIL opportunities, like our Collective. That’s no different than saying they have good facilities, coaches, dorms or academics. So you can’t get rid of the money influence, but you could probably stop players from being outright bought like Wong last year.
Theoretically, it is fixable.

1. Require student athletes to report all their NIL deals to the schools compliance officer. Failure to report a deal is grounds for loss of eligibility.

2. Cap the amount of NIL which is allowable under NCAA rules. Note that you are not restricting what an individual can earn from his or her name image or likeness, you are just restricting the amount that an individual can earn and still be considered eligible for participation as a student athlete at NCAA institutions.

3. Require that payments be individual based in not institution based. This would illuminate the current practice of offering every member of a football team the use of a car, or offering every offensive lineman $10,000.

4. Require that any payments be actually linked to the use of name image or likeness in a marketing campaign.

That wouldn't eliminate all the abuse, but the system would immediately become less prone to abuse.

The thing is, I had the NCAA stepped up at the start of this they probably could've kept NIL payments at some reasonable dollar amount, say $15,000 or $20,000. Now that a cottage industry has been created, it will be incredibly hard to roll back the existing system.

The notion that the NCAA somehow needs federal action to fix this is a fallacy. It is a private organization and can set its rules for membership as it sees fit, provided that those rules don't violate federal or local law.

CL82

Reaction Score

Alston doesn't govern NIL. If I recall correctly it limits the NCAA from capping benefits provided by a school to a student athlete. NIL does not come from the school.

The NCAA "allowed it" by not enforcing its current rules and by saying it would abide by state decisions on the issue. Which, is a complete fallacy since the NCAA is a private organization and is not regulated by the various states.

Reaction Score
You're wrong on both but whatever.
I do think for the most part if you took the top 25 d1 teams and switched all the players with the top 25 D2 teams and marketed them the same way, that the average fan isn’t going to notice a big enough difference to stop showing up to the games or buy school apparel.

A couple of years ago the GM from the hawks (helped put the Golden State teams together) was asked if he gets excited about the tournament and watches all the games. He said without he’s No. He went on to say the level of basketball played compared to the NBA isn’t even comparable. He hates watching college basketball and it’s shown by how few players in the tournament actually belong and stick around the league each year. Tournament was of course the highest rated in history to that point.

Reaction Score
2. Cap the amount of NIL which is allowable under NCAA rules. Note that you are not restricting what an individual can earn from his or her name image or likeness, you are just restricting the amount that an individual can earn and still be considered eligible for participation as a student athlete at NCAA institutions.

3. Require that payments be individual based in not institution based. This would illuminate the current practice of offering every member of a football team the use of a car, or offering every offensive lineman $10,000.
Alston doesn't govern NIL. If I recall correctly it limits the NCAA from capping benefits provided by a school to a student athlete. NIL does not come from the school.

The NCAA "allowed it" by not enforcing its current rules and by saying it would abide by state decisions on the issue. Which, is a complete fallacy since the NCAA is a private organization and is not regulated by the various states.
House vs. NCAA is ongoing and seeks to bar the NCAA from limiting NIL as an anti-trust issue. Same judge as Alston. So those remedies may work for now, but potentially not much longer. The NCAA is seeking federal legislation to create rules because they fear they won't be able to make them themselves.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Theoretically, it is fixable.

1. Require student athletes to report all their NIL deals to the schools compliance officer. Failure to report a deal is grounds for loss of eligibility.

4. Require that any payments be actually linked to the use of name image or likeness in a marketing campaign.

That wouldn't eliminate all the abuse, but the system would immediately become less prone to abuse.

The thing is, I had the NCAA stepped up at the start of this they probably could've kept NIL payments at some reasonable dollar amount, say $15,000 or $20,000. Now that a cottage industry has been created, it will be incredibly hard to roll back the existing system.

The notion that the NCAA somehow needs federal action to fix this is a fallacy. It is a private organization and can set its rules for membership as it sees fit, provided that those rules don't violate federal or local law.
#2 won't fly. That can't happen.

I agree on 1, 3 and 4. The solution will look something like that and will probably target booster as well.

CL82

Reaction Score
House vs. NCAA is ongoing and seeks to bar the NCAA from limiting NIL as an anti-trust issue. Same judge as Alston. So those remedies may work for now, but potentially not much longer. The NCAA is seeking federal legislation to create rules because they fear they won't be able to make them themselves.
Thanks I wasn't familiar with this ongoing litigation. From the article you attached, a lot of the relief that's being sought seems to be a bit of a reach. Not every organization needs to be a collective. So the notion that NCAA institutions are not profit sharing with players is a reach. That said, given that the judge is the same as O'Bannon and Alston, who knows what decision she might reach.

Reaction Score

I agree on 1, 3 and 4. The solution will look something like that and will probably target booster as well.
Hard to make a case for #2 to protect the sanctity of competition in a world where Corporations are People. You can give as much as you would like and hide as much as you would like in the name of preserving the sanctity of political competition.

CL82

Reaction Score

Why not number two? You aren't limiting earnings, you are merely limiting membership in a private organization. As long as the basis is not inherently discriminatory, I would think it would be fine.

The reason why it will never happen is because institutions don't want to "fix" NIL. If that were the NCAA rule, major players were just bail and start a new organization.

Reaction Score
Why not number two? You aren't limiting earnings, you are merely limiting membership in a private organization. As long as the basis is not inherently discriminatory, I would think it would be fine.
The same reason the government has stepped in on issues with MLB, NFL and others. They can use Anti-Trust arguments or threaten to take away their tax exempt status if they feel the rules violate the spirit of the constitution or the market economy. Also the NCAA has a legitimate reason to fear losing their monopoly on college sports in general. There has already been talk of conferences considering abandoning the NCAA and starting their their own organizations.

Reaction Score
I do think for the most part if you took the top 25 d1 teams and switched all the players with the top 25 D2 teams and marketed them the same way, that the average fan isn’t going to notice a big enough difference to stop showing up to the games or buy school apparel.

A couple of years ago the GM from the hawks (helped put the Golden State teams together) was asked if he gets excited about the tournament and watches all the games. He said without he’s No. He went on to say the level of basketball played compared to the NBA isn’t even comparable. He hates watching college basketball and it’s shown by how few players in the tournament actually belong and stick around the league each year. Tournament was of course the highest rated in history to that point.
That's a weird thing to say for the guy who put the Golden State teams together considering all their players were college studs.

Reaction Score
That's a weird thing to say for the guy who put the Golden State teams together considering all their players were college studs.
Well most great teams in history were made with college studs. Apparently he thinks the difference in play is far greater than we mere mortals can comprehend. My point is if most people weren’t told the two teams were full of all D2 level players and they were marketed by Michigan and Kansas etc as the best players in college, I’m not too sure anyone would really enjoy it any less.

Reaction Score
NIL is essentially the sports version of drug dealing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

The reason why it will never happen is because institutions don't want to "fix" NIL. If that were the NCAA rule, major players were just bail and start a new organization.
Because they can't make eligibility contingent on not making money on the side. That is never going to fly. Plus, why should they? Paige should be ineligible I guess, because she's popular and can make money from it? How does it help the NCAA to make the most popular athletes ineligible? Most of the highest NIL earners didn't get anything from boosters or related to recruitment. Most of them are social media influencers with their own brands back to HS. Capping earnings makes no sense at all and would quickly be challenged.

You could put monetary limits on deals with Boosters. That's possible.

Reaction Score
Because they can't make eligibility contingent on not making money on the side. That is never going to fly. Plus, why should they? Paige should be ineligible I guess, because she's popular and can make money from it? How does it help the NCAA to make the most popular athletes ineligible? Most of the highest NIL earners didn't get anything from boosters or related to recruitment. Most of them are social media influencers with their own brands back to HS. Capping earnings makes no sense at all and would quickly be challenged.

You could put monetary limits on deals with Boosters. That's possible.
#2 won't happen and shouldn't happen, that's the whole reason for NIL. The boosters paying kids to come to their school is not what should be happening and what they can find ways to clamp down on.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because they can't make eligibility contingent on not making money on the side.
Sure they can. They are a private organization they can sit there membership requirements at anything that they like so long as it's nondiscriminatory.

Paige should be ineligible I guess, because she's popular and can make money from it?
Should be? That's a normative judgment. Would be? Yes, if the NCAA decides that millionaires are not entitled to be college athletes.

How does it help the NCAA to make the most popular athletes ineligible?
They wouldn't necessarily be ineligible, but they would have a choice whether they wanted to be social media personalities or college athletes. Life is choices.

Capping earnings makes no sense at all and would quickly be challenged.
Maybe, but what was the legal basis for that challenge be? That was my question. You've listed a lot of reasons why it won't happen, which I pretty much agree with, but most of those are closing the barn door after the horses left issues rather than legal issues.

The notion at a booster can't compensate an athlete is a good approach that probably would've been workable had the NCAA adapted initially. I'm not sure that we could go back to it.

Reaction Score
Sure they can. They are a private organization they can sit there membership requirements at anything that they like so long as it's nondiscriminatory.
that will be the end of the NCAA in D1 sports. Either because they're taken to court and beat over the head or because the P4 finally decide they're sick of the NCAA and just leave and form their own organization that will have their own basketball tournament and football playoff system. The money has gotten too big for the NCAA to have any control anymore. Look at how we were treated with the tournament bans compared to now where they can't even declare players ineligible anymore without blowback and lawsuits from the schools.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Should be? That's a normative judgment. Would be? Yes, if the NCAA decides that millionaires are not entitled to be college athletes.

They wouldn't necessarily be ineligible, but they would have a choice whether they wanted to be social media personalities or college athletes. Life is choices.

Maybe, but what was the legal basis for that challenge be? That was my question. You've listed a lot of reasons why it won't happen, which I pretty much agree with, but most of those are closing the barn door after the horses left issues rather than legal issues.

The notion at a booster can't compensate an athlete is a good approach that probably would've been workable had the NCAA adapted initially. I'm not sure that we could go back to it.
You're crazy. This would be suicide for college sports. Nobody should have to choose whether to be a social media star or an athlete. What's the rational basis for that membership test? How does it not unlawfully discriminate? Can you tell a kid who is rich through inheritance that they can't play a sport? What if Ray got this part before he went to the NBA? https://andscape.com/features/how-did-ray-allen-become-jesus-shuttlesworth-spike-lee-he-got-game/

A. this would actively harm the NCAA and reduce the popularity of sports. This stuff is free advertising.
B. it would not survive a challenge. Several states explicitly allow NIL without losing eligibility, and if the NCAA decided to kick those institutions out (they threatened this with CA schools) they'd face an immediate antitrust challenge that they would lose.

Go after recruiting inducement all want, but a cap isn't needed or wanted.

CL82

Reaction Score
that will be the end of the NCAA in D1 sports. Either because they're taken to court and beat over the head or because the P4 finally decide they're sick of the NCAA and just leave and form their own organization that will have their own basketball tournament and football playoff system. The money has gotten too big for the NCAA to have any control anymore. Look at how we were treated with the tournament bans compared to now where they can't even declare players ineligible anymore without blowback and lawsuits from the schools.
I agree. The horse is out of the barn on this. That's why my post started with "theoretically". But, at the NCAA capped it initially, it would've worked. It's easy to set a rule that gives money to people. It's hard to set at a rule that takes money away from people. I really think it could've been capped it at 15 or $20,000 in all honesty. It sounds ridiculously low now, but then kids would've been happy with the prospect of getting an extra 20 K.

In any event, I think if you take the four rules that I laid out and add to it @HuskyHawk's prohibition against boosters creating an IL for a student athlete of their team, I think you have the framework of something that would work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom