NIL needs fixing | The Boneyard

NIL needs fixing

Reaction Score
Could NIL be fixed so that college basketball can go back to schools recruiting high school athletes without paying huge amounts of money when they aren't even in college yet? I guess most top athletes already have some name recognition and probably should be able somehow to reap benefit of all the time and work they devote to playing their sport, but it seems so unfair for some schools with deepest pockets to simply outspend the competition.

I'm all for having college athletes profit off their NIL but would love it if this couldn't happen until once they are in college. Then recruiting would be much more competitive, and high school athletes would make school choices based on scholarships, coaching, and playing opportunities.

Maybe I'm just a geezer stuck in Pollyana Land- can this genie get put back in the bottle at all?

Reaction Score
SMU football got the death penalty over 35 years ago for paying kids to go to their school. In my eyes, NIL has somewhat legitimized what has already been happening for decades. I'd rather be able to say "we couldn't match their NIL deal" then say "man, I wonder why this kid changed his mind at the last minute" knowing full well it's because someone offered him a bag of cash

Reaction Score
Could NIL be fixed so that college basketball can go back to schools recruiting high school athletes without paying huge amounts of money when they aren't even in college yet? I guess most top athletes already have some name recognition and probably should be able somehow to reap benefit of all the time and work they devote to playing their sport, but it seems so unfair for some schools with deepest pockets to simply outspend the competition.

I'm all for having college athletes profit off their NIL but would love it if this couldn't happen until once they are in college. Then recruiting would be much more competitive, and high school athletes would make school choices based on scholarships, coaching, and playing opportunities.

Maybe I'm just a geezer stuck in Pollyana Land- can this genie get put back in the bottle at all?
NCAA is working on it with the government. NCAA president has already said that and that NIL was not meant to be a recruiting tool.

“I think it was a big mistake by the NCAA not to do a framework around NIL when they had the opportunity to,” Baker said during the Future of College Athletics Summit, not far from Capitol Hill. “And I think there were too many people in college sports who thought no rules would work really well for them. And what everybody’s discovered is no rules, no transparency, no accountability, no framework, doesn’t work well for anybody.”

The NCAA enacted an interim NIL policy that leaned into general rules against pay-for-play and recruiting inducements, but lacked detail. With schools allowed only minimal involvement in their athletes' deals, the NCAA's inaction created a void that has been filled by boosters, lawyers and fledgling agents.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
College(professional) athletes should be allowed to take NIL deals in exchange for picking certain colleges.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
NCAA is working on it with the government. NCAA president has already said that and that NIL was not meant to be a recruiting tool.

“I think it was a big mistake by the NCAA not to do a framework around NIL when they had the opportunity to,” Baker said during the Future of College Athletics Summit, not far from Capitol Hill. “And I think there were too many people in college sports who thought no rules would work really well for them. And what everybody’s discovered is no rules, no transparency, no accountability, no framework, doesn’t work well for anybody.”

The NCAA enacted an interim NIL policy that leaned into general rules against pay-for-play and recruiting inducements, but lacked detail. With schools allowed only minimal involvement in their athletes' deals, the NCAA's inaction created a void that has been filled by boosters, lawyers and fledgling agents.

Yes. They will find a way. The restrictions won’t be on the schools. It will be back on boosters. So how will they enforce that? It’s really hard. Basically you can’t tell a kid they can’t earn NIL money, in HS or college. That’s the reality.

So you’d need to find a way to target boosters promising NIL in exchange for recruitment to a particular school and impose sanctions against the school or the Booster (banned from games). I also don’t think they can prevent Nike and Adidas from doing a deal with a HS kid if they go to a Nike or Adidas school (generically). They wouldn’t be boosters. Maryland is probably disadvantaged here.

I also don’t think the NCAA can stop a school from promoting that it may have lots of NIL opportunities, like our Collective. That’s no different than saying they have good facilities, coaches, dorms or academics. So you can’t get rid of the money influence, but you could probably stop players from being outright bought like Wong last year.

Reaction Score
Yes. They will find a way. The restrictions won’t be on the schools. It will be back on boosters. So how will they enforce that? It’s really hard. Basically you can’t tell a kid they can’t earn NIL money, in HS or college. That’s the reality.

So you’d need to find a way to target boosters promising NIL in exchange for recruitment to a particular school and impose sanctions against the school or the Booster (banned from games). I also don’t think they can prevent Nike and Adidas from doing a deal with a HS kid if they go to a Nike or Adidas school (generically). They wouldn’t be boosters. Maryland is probably disadvantaged here.

I also don’t think the NCAA can stop a school from promoting that it may have lots of NIL opportunities, like our Collective. That’s no different than saying they have good facilities, coaches, dorms or academics. So you can’t get rid of the money influence, but you could probably stop players from being outright bought like Wong last year.
Why are you singling out Maryland?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Under Armor. But they got ND now, Wisconsin and Auburn. It’s arguably a disadvantage in basketball. Football it won’t matter. But they are making gains on Adidas and Nike so maybe that doesn’t last anyway.

Reaction Score

Because Under Armour shoes blow.

Hot take: the idea of major college athletics as a billion dollar business is dumb. I love UConn basketball as much as the next person on here, but the only guaranteed way to fix this, that i can see, is to adopt the model the rest of the world uses. If you have professional potential, become a pro when you're 12 or 13. College sports can be for the kids who aren't good enough to play professionally, like the Oxford soccer team or the University of British Columbia hockey team. It'll never happen because too many people make too much money but it's the only surefire fix I can see. Short of that it's always going to be a cesspool.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Hot take: the idea of major college athletics as a billion dollar business is dumb. I love UConn basketball as much as the next person on here, but the only guaranteed way to fix this, that i can see, is to adopt the model the rest of the world uses. If you have professional potential, become a pro when you're 12 or 13. College sports can be for the kids who aren't good enough to play professionally, like the Oxford soccer team or the University of British Columbia hockey team. It'll never happen because too many people make too much money but it's the only surefire fix I can see. Short of that it's always going to be a cesspool.
Yes and the reality is we root for the laundry. Cooper Flagg shows this. Is Cooper exciting? Sure. At Duke we don’t care. But there is passion for these college teams that gets millions to watch a bunch of players we would never watch if they were the minor leagues of these sports. It’s why the argument of the “value” the players bring was always wrong. Swap the Michigan and Alabama football teams and fans on both sides would cheer their colors.

Reaction Score
Maybe they could let the pro teams draft them out of high school, give them some money and let the players go to the college of their choice to develop their skills for a few years. Players could then pick whatever school they like best or think will develop their skills best rather. They would already have their money, and wouldn’t be beholden to sleazy boosters, and NIL deals.

Reaction Score

All the basketball sneakers are ugly but I'm sure they're all pretty much made the same. I thought he was making some point about Under Armour not being allowed to pay players while Nike and Adidas can.

With all it's flaws I much prefer the college model to having pro teams running things for kids. TV kind of ruined everything for the big sports, it fostered all the greed and anti-competitive behavior we now see in college sports. More people than not seemed to favor giving up on any notion of amateurism we had left, they got their wish.

Pro sports is a bunch of out of touch billionaire owners and out of touch players making hundreds of millions as the fans get priced out, especially the kids who idolize the athletes. Having them running things for the kids seems even worse to me. It will eliminate a bunch of kids getting the college experience and education and they'll be kicked to the curb once they're no longer useful to the pro franchises. It also eliminates something that's incredibly important to 10's of millions of people all over the country and something that brings families and friends together.

Reaction Score

Go back to schools recruiting high school athletes without paying huge amounts of money when they aren't even in college yet?

Honey...

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yes and the reality is we root for the laundry. Cooper Flagg shows this. Is Cooper exciting? Sure. At Duke we don’t care. But there is passion for these college teams that gets millions to watch a bunch of players we would never watch if they were the minor leagues of these sports. It’s why the argument of the “value” the players bring was always wrong. Swap the Michigan and Alabama football teams and fans on both sides would cheer their colors.
Definitely root for the laundry, you’re right. But at the same time if the players aren’t good then the teams will suck and the teams can’t market themselves or make money.

Guys like Jackson, Hawkins and Sanogo brought UConn immense value last year, millions of dollars worth of value. At championship level programs where fans are willing to invest that kind of money into supporting the teams, the players definitely bring value (and deserve to be compensated for it fairly).

Reaction Score

No chance. The kids deserve to be paid and now everything is above the table and a level playing field.

Reaction Score
Could NIL be fixed so that college basketball can go back to schools recruiting high school athletes without paying huge amounts of money when they aren't even in college yet?
Nope, sorry

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Definitely root for the laundry, you’re right. But at the same time if the players aren’t good then the teams will suck and the teams can’t market themselves or make money.

Guys like Jackson, Hawkins and Sanogo brought UConn immense value last year, millions of dollars worth of value. At championship level programs where fans are willing to invest that kind of money into supporting the teams, the players definitely bring value (and deserve to be compensated for it fairly).
Of course. But do you watch the G league? Those teams are better.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Of course. But do you watch the G league? Those teams are better.
Yeah I think we’re both right - no one watches the g leave because it’s better, but if the top level college sports was played at a JV high school level no one would watch it either.

School names pull in locals & alumni fans to cheer for them, but college sports grew so much because of the top level athletes who put an entertaining product on the court.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You're wrong on both but whatever.
NIL became a recruiting tool the minute it was allowed. How could anyone think for a second that it wouldn't? People that insist that "it was never meant to become a recruiting tool" seem so precious to me. Over their head, even.

Reaction Score
The founder is an alum so he's considered a booster.
Sure but Oregon would obviously be out as well along with a bunch of other schools because the executives/board members went to these schools.

Reaction Score
You nailed it right here:
"But there is passion for these college teams that gets millions to watch a bunch of players we would never watch if they were the minor leagues of these sports."

NIL is simply a (so far) legitimate use of TV revenues from the P5 contracts (in creative ways) and "cooperatives" set up by alums or boosters to attract recruits and transfers.

My bet is the whole thing starts to fall apart in the near future because there won't be enough money to fund all the lavish facilities, salaries of bloated staffs and travel in the face of waning interest by students and younger alums.

For those who moan and groan here about our attendance at football games, go back and look at the "crowd" at the Kansas game last weekend. They hosted and beat Oklahoma and the place looked half full and there was a lot of red in the crowd. You'll see the same at games at all levels.

Reaction Score
Sure but Oregon would obviously be out as well along with a bunch of other schools because the executives/board members went to these schools.
I was just throwing out a possible reason based on the fact that the founder is an alum.
All I know is we're a Nike school and if the founder of Nike went to UConn we'd have had the death penalty by now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom