NIL, Improbably, but possible, end game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL, Improbably, but possible, end game

Reaction Score
Agents can negotiate anything, remember they work for the client. Once an athlete commits to any professional sport they forfeit their college career. Of course, any endorsements accrued while in college stay with them.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I never mentioned taxes in my statement about earnings. The fact that Texas has no state income tax has nothing to do with anything. The usual bite on entertainment and athletic contracts is about 50%, after agency commissions, taxes and expenses. Your statement " how would these kids feel when a large chunk of NIL is gone to taxes ? " Why would they care ? It is all found money !
At this time, the athletes know they’re at the dawn of their athletic careers. Plenty of time to make NIL deals. They have their parents and paid advisors helping them to manage and possibly invest their $$$. What would concern me today is not how much I make, but how much I get to keep. Gross earnings are nice, but net earnings pay the bills and takes care of the family members you choose to cover.

Reaction Score
Weird situation.
Used to be that once you signed with an Agent, you were ineligible to play in an NCAA game.
Is there a provision that now differentiates between an Agent and a financial advisor?
Or are Agents now allowed only to negotiate NIL deals and not allowed to negotiate professional sport team contracts.
Is there an honor system that separates the two (HaHaHa)?
Getting a little murky to me.
Everything about the prior situation was murky, incoherent and absurd. The privilege given to amateurism has the most dubious provenance. The later developing concern about point-shaving and other anti-competitive elements made a little more sense, but was never a cogent view of college athletics. The primary anti-competitive element is the perverse demand for the illusion of amateurism itself. Get rid of that in order to preserve competitiveness. And if anyone thinks scholarship students shouldn't have any other income out of fairness or any other similar twaddle, they should ask why students outside the athletic department's purview face no such restriction.

Reaction Score
Agents can negotiate anything, remember they work for the client. Once an athlete commits to any professional sport they forfeit their college career. Of course, any endorsements accrued while in college stay with them.
My understanding is (was), signing with an Agent was the disqualifying factor-not committing to a pro contract or team.
That is the way it was.
Sign with an Agent bye bye NCAA competition.

Reaction Score
The N.I.L. changed that, as hundreds have representation. Bone Dog you are absolutely correct ! Some students for example have start up tech companies and have legal representation as well as outside investment.

Reaction Score
I say more power to all the kids. I don't want to return to the old days when students were not allowed to earn money off their own property and effort.
Suggest we consider where NIL could lead and how this would affect UConn. Having lived in SEC country for many years, the southern schools in particular are starting to facilitate multiple $1M+ offers to the top high school athletes. Some schools have developed programs where every member of certain teams get NIL funds. This is more than just payment for their image and marketing. At some point, UConn will not be able to compete financially.

Reaction Score
Hop Jim you are also 100% correct. Living in Austin, the Q. B.for this years team originally committed to Texas then decommitted went to Ohio State received 2 million in N. I. L. money and once the state accepted N. I. L. came back this year and is the starter. Granted Texas is unique as its athletic dept, has had revenue as high as 236 million per year, but college athletics has become an entity of the haves and the have nots. What the SEC, Texas, and other power schools have been doing for years, is now legal.

Reaction Score
Suggest we consider where NIL could lead and how this would affect UConn. Having lived in SEC country for many years, the southern schools in particular are starting to facilitate multiple $1M+ offers to the top high school athletes. Some schools have developed programs where every member of certain teams get NIL funds. This is more than just payment for their image and marketing. At some point, UConn will not be able to compete financially.
It could indeed lead to a good deal of turmoil at lots of programs, not just UConn. But the existing situation, before NIL, just seemed immoral to me. I don't want to see my favorite team disrupted, and the appeal of a challenging program that builds character and culture may not be enough of a lure in the future. But I cannot care more about that awful possibility than the moral and legal bankruptcy that has always shadowed the NCAA and under which too many athletes have suffered.

I guess it's one of those ironies of life, that something beautiful (UConn WBB) can emerge in such an unpromising environment.

Reaction Score
It could indeed lead to a good deal of turmoil at lots of programs, not just UConn. But the existing situation, before NIL, just seemed immoral to me. I don't want to see my favorite team disrupted, and the appeal of a challenging program that builds character and culture may not be enough of a lure in the future. But I cannot care more about that awful possibility than the moral and legal bankruptcy that has always shadowed the NCAA and under which too many athletes have suffered

I guess it's one of those ironies of life, that something beautiful (UConn WBB) can emerge in such an unpromising environment.
And then Women’s College Basketball becomes Bastardized ( sorry Husky Nan) and I stop giving a $h**, err.,,,crap. Like my ‘fandom’ for the NBA, NFL, NCAA Football ,NCAA mens hoops (except for tourney).
I guess there’s always curling.
Do enjoy Diamond series Track and Field competition.
I guess pretty soon I’ll be relegated to watching TCM , Dobie Gillis reruns and Below Decks.
Forcing me to walk more with the earbuds in and tuning out.
And that’ll be OK.

Reaction Score
And then Women’s College Basketball becomes Bastardized ( sorry Husky Nan) and I stop giving a $h**, err.,,,crap. Like my ‘fandom’ for the NBA, NFL, NCAA Football ,NCAA mens hoops (except for tourney).
I guess there’s always curling.
Do enjoy Diamond series Track and Field competition.
I guess pretty soon I’ll be relegated to watching TCM , Dobie Gillis reruns and Below Decks.
Forcing me to walk more with the earbuds in and tuning out.
And that’ll be OK.
It's a tough situation for me too. I want to watch my Huskies without a care in the world other than will Azzi score 20 tonight, or Caroline, or Lou, etc. But when I turn my mind to this NIL stuff, all I can think of is that it's simply just, and I should support it whatever the cost to the NCAA. Perhaps all I can do is hope that things don't go to any extreme, and the conferences remain more or less the same despite the changing legal terrain.

Reaction Score
A perfect example is the conference realignments with the expansion of the Big 10 and SEC in 2024, effectively establishing 2 super conferences.

Reaction Score
Weird situation.
Used to be that once you signed with an Agent, you were ineligible to play in an NCAA game.
Is there a provision that now differentiates between an Agent and a financial advisor?
Or are Agents now allowed only to negotiate NIL deals and not allowed to negotiate professional sport team contracts.
Is there an honor system that separates the two (HaHaHa)?
Getting a little murky to me.
Players can have Agents. Aliyah Boston and A’ja Wilson have the same agent.

Reaction Score
I don’t dislike NIL so much because the previous system was sooooo unfair as coaches were being paid so much in comparison to players. What I dislike is the sudden combination of NIL and free agency. I truly despise the sudden explosion of the transfer portal.

What could’da been: schools should have been required to pay a “minimum wage” to every player for every hour they were required to spend on team activities such as practice, film study, weight training etc capped at 40 hrs per week. Plus scholly, room and board. Yes, the current federal minimum wage needs to be upped - maybe not doubled as Seattle has done but at least 10.00 per hour.

Oh well, it’s the Wild Wild West right now. I don’t like it but would be satisfied if the portal rules were tweaked to control it aa little better. No, I don’t know what would work.

Reaction Score
schools should have been required to pay a “minimum wage” to every player for every hour they were required to spend on team activities such as practice, film study, weight training etc capped at 40 hrs per week.
40 hours/wk is way too much for full time students, which all of these kids must be. I don’t know exactly what limits the NCAA specifies. But to give a sense of what is considered appropriate for students generally, workstudy hours are usually capped at 10-12/wk.

Reaction Score
I believe that exchanging an athletic scholarship to a scholar athletes in return for:
Free tuition
Free housing
Free meals
Health Insurance
ALL tools required for classroom success - tutors, special instruction, one on one if needed.
Off campus contact with industry leaders in their chosen fields (mentoring).
Post graduate studies ( if desired)
Post graduate placement in chosen field , when qualified.
Is a fair proposition.
For most players N.I.L. money will be negligible and a pro career will be a pipe dream.
Not enough emphasis is put on an athlete’s future once playing eligibility expires.
For it to be an equitable transaction- the institution should be responsible to the athlete for much more than a degree and a sayonara.
For all the time and effort the athletes put in, the institution responsibilities should continue well after graduation.
JMHO

Reaction Score
40 hours/wk is way too much for full time students, which all of these kids must be. I don’t know exactly what limits the NCAA specifies. But to give a sense of what is considered appropriate for students generally, workstudy hours are usually capped at 10-12/wk.
Travel, practice and game time for two road games in one week can far exceed 12 hours per week. How about a three game nov/Dec tournament?

How many hours will Azzi give to UConn on the road trip to South Carolina alone - not to mention the rest of her week?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Travel, practice and game time for two road games in one week can far exceed 12 hours per week. How about a three game nov/Dec tournament?

How many hours will Azzi give to UConn on the road trip to South Carolina alone - not to mention the rest of her week?
I imagine you’ll find that all those hours are carefully distinguished from all team activities. Also, just for clarity’s sake, I only quoted the number 10-12 as an indicator of what is generally considered appropriate for all students to spend on activities connected to their financial aid packages. I don’t know what the rules are. But, as a college professor, I’d be very concerned if my school had any scholarship activities that required 40 hrs/wk unrelated to academic work.

Reaction Score
I imagine you’ll find that all those hours are carefully distinguished from all team activities. Also, just for clarity’s sake, I only quoted the number 10-12 as an indicator of what is generally considered appropriate for all students to spend on activities connected to their financial aid packages. I don’t know what the rules are. But, as a college professor, I’d be very concerned if my school had any scholarship activities that required 40 hrs/wk unrelated to academic work.
I said “capped at 40 hours.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom