OT: - NIL Deals more than $600 must be approved | The Boneyard

OT: NIL Deals more than $600 must be approved

Reaction Score
Payments $600 and over contractors need to be reported to the IRS. So the NCAA is saying for the purposes of NIL, players will be deemed contractors who have an agreement with the NCAA. Since players will be "working" under the NCAA umbrella, the NCAA is responsible for accounting and reporting payments. It actually can be viewed as a streamlining so the players dont have to deal with accountants and making sure the contracts are legit etc. Right now Im sure nothing is being done by the books and the players could be in for a rude awakening with the taxman. Doesnt seem so outlandish what the NCAA is asking.

Reaction Score
Payments $600 and over contractors need to be reported to the IRS. So the NCAA is saying for the purposes of NIL, players will be deemed contractors who have an agreement with the NCAA. Since players will be "working" under the NCAA umbrella, the NCAA is responsible for accounting and reporting payments. It actually can be viewed as a streamlining so the players dont have to deal with accountants and making sure the contracts are legit etc. Right now Im sure nothing is being done by the books and the players could be in for a rude awakening with the taxman. Doesnt seem so outlandish what the NCAA is asking.
WHy is the NCAA involved though? The contracts are between the payer and the students. Also seems to be an attempt to skirt taxes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Thanks for this response. I’m really hoping the NCAA can get this kind of thing sorted out eventually. Good to hear a perspective about how this may actually be able to work.

Reaction Score
This is beyond BONKERS!!! NCAA settlement details payouts, revenue sharing

$33m revenue shared with athletes? And some schools are already losing $30-40m a year? And Kessler gets to audit every college's books to make sure they are complying with the payouts in revenue?

Insane.

This annual loss in revenues doesn't even take into account the debt service on facilities.

Some schools are now in the business of losing $90m a year. How is this sustainable?

pj

Reaction Score
The chances of this being enforced are as good as the chance UConn offers me the new 15th scholarship that can be offered

Your NIL demands too high? Your helicopter father too intrusive?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That’s a lot of instagram posts to get to 6 figures lol
Post one story every day for one year, 218k. Imagine how funny it would be if a kid posted the same ad every day, for a year, with slight altercations?

Reaction Score
Post one story every day for one year, 218k. Imagine how funny it would be if a kid posted the same ad every day, for a year, with slight altercations?
Mistakez ken bee phunny.
If you're older than dirt, this is Norm Crosbyesque at its best.

Reaction Score
WHy is the NCAA involved though? The contracts are between the payer and the students. Also seems to be an attempt to skirt taxes.
Im not sure tot
What if they give you $500 NIL deals every week?
Well for contractors its $600 total for the year needs to be reported, whether its one $600 paymane tor multiple smaller limits.

Reaction Score
Not totally sure. On the face of it the NCAA do seem to be a third party. But I think about some of my photography jobs, sometimes I get paid directly from the client but when a producer or agent get involved they would be responsible for reporting payments etc. The NCAA, because of an interest in maintaining integrity etc may view themselves as a third party agency in this NIL situation. This structure would be way easier to deal with than any kind of collective bargaining where the athletes would be considered employees. Between the various sports, conferences, divisions and schools, collective bargaining would be a near impossible. Football on their own could probably do it.

Reaction Score
Not totally sure. On the face of it the NCAA do seem to be a third party. But I think about some of my photography jobs, sometimes I get paid directly from the client but when a producer or agent get involved they would be responsible for reporting payments etc. The NCAA, because of an interest in maintaining integrity etc may view themselves as a third party agency in this NIL situation. This structure would be way easier to deal with than any kind of collective bargaining where the athletes would be considered employees. Between the various sports, conferences, divisions and schools, collective bargaining would be a near impossible. Football on their own could probably do it.
wut?

Reaction Score
This is beyond BONKERS!!! NCAA settlement details payouts, revenue sharing

$33m revenue shared with athletes? And some schools are already losing $30-40m a year? And Kessler gets to audit every college's books to make sure they are complying with the payouts in revenue?

Insane.

This annual loss in revenues doesn't even take into account the debt service on facilities.

Some schools are now in the business of losing $90m a year. How is this sustainable?

This is the broad math as I see it. Plus, it doesn't reflect the bidding wars that will go on for top talent. Can you imagine what is going to happen when programs like Texas, Michigan and LSU start competing for top recruits. I don't think the NCAA has a prayer in trying to regulate and enforce anything concerning NIL. It is and will continue to be a free for all.

Total mess.....

Reaction Score
Any time the NCAA says they need to have oversight on compliance for any issue, their first motivation is self preservation. The more oversight, the more employees, the bigger the industry of compliance becomes. Make more rules and enforce them, regulate more issues and oversee them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom