Nikki McCray Penson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nikki McCray Penson

Reaction Score
This summary of the Davis-Wrightsil stuff a) is awful, and b) speaks really, really badly about the insight and acumen of HS girls basketball coaches in Texas. If they are not able to see through the acid comments of a fired ex-employee, then that's really bad. Especially when it comes to allegedly steering kids away from the state's flagship school, for which many of the kids in-state grew up dreaming of playing. But it's also hard for me to believe that any poisoning of that recruiting well would last for 5 years. Surely, at some point, the in-state recruiting failures have to be chalked up to Coach G, right?

Reaction Score
I will add that Davis-Wrightsil punched a player in the face AT AN ALL-STAR GAME. Not someone you want to cross.
Woah! She did what? That's wild. Andddddd, I need more of the story, please.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Goestenkors was never able to make the Texas brand work for her. She was from MI, had been an assistant at Purdue (IN), and had been the head coach at Duke (NC). And I think she thought all of the work she put in at Duke would transfer over to Texas; instead, as an outsider, she had to start, in many ways, from scratch, like she did in her early days at Duke. I believe that was where the fatigue and exhaustion had set in.

I firmly believe that Goestenkors was not running toward Texas, but running away from Duke. She felt disrespected and devalued -- and rightfully so. But I also believe that without those statements from then-AD Joe Alleva, she would have taken more time to evaluate her decision and would have chosen to stay at Duke.

@Vowelguy , @ucbart , @EricLA
Your post inspired a twinge of sadness for GG. This was a woman who always seemed to handle herself with class...built a perennial power and if what you say is actually true about her troubles in Texas, deserved better.

I hope GG gets a chance to coach at the P5 level again...and I believe she will, if she wants it. I wonder if she is waiting to see what happens at Purdue?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I "hear ya" on all the particulars, that even if I truly believed NO RECRUITS from Texas would go to UT, the fact Gail still could not muster better coaching to glean more than one 4th place finish along with 2-6th place and 2-7th place finishes tells me something is wrong. There were 49 other states that have recruits. Add in the fact that she was an assistant in the "W" at a time when frankly, the head coaches are 2nd best, that also tells me something. But far be it from me to tell a P5 program like MSU to not hire Gail, with the delusion of thinking she's gonna bring them to the promise land when I don't see any evidence of that in her last 10 years of her resume. Maybe Central Michigan wins the MAC this year based on what GG brings and that propels her star back to the former shine. I don't doubt she will get another gig in D1, I am just not so sure it will be an elite program is my point.

Reaction Score
There is something the Moorhead football hire has in common as McCray Person: both hired by John Cohen as AD. The current Florida AD, Stricklen, hired Mullen and Schafer. Cohen was a head scratcher to me from the start because it seemed like just a quick, easy solution to go with an internal person.

Seems pretty dumb to hire a college baseball coach as your AD...oh wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom