Nika's Performances and Playing Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika's Performances and Playing Time

Reaction Score
is that a good or bad thing? Cause after the 1st 4 games I would much much rather see Caroline.
In blowouts, expect to see Nika get more time but she appears to also be fighting some physical issues. In close games, I expect that Evina will get more PT.

Reaction Score
In blowouts, expect to see Nika get more time but she appears to also be fighting some physical issues. In close games, I expect that Evina will get more PT.
Evina is a starter so yes she’ll get more time than Nika in close games. Did you mean you expect Caroline to get more time than Nika in close games? Thanks!

JBK

Reaction Score
Welcome to BY. Nika will not be a starter this year (may be next year) but she will be in Geno's rotation. I also think she has great potential. And wish she has a fast recovery of her foot injury.
Unfortunately Nika has limited offensive skills. Really is a poor 3 point shooter and cannot drive to the hoop. She scores must of her points off steals that she perfected.
I do really admire her grit and toughness and I do root for her, but she is under skilled offensively against the top competition that UCONN must figure out how to beat this year.

Reaction Score
There is a thread titled, “Azzi out for 2 weeks minimum.”

And according to Geno's post game press conference, it's that nagging back issue again with Aubrey Griffin that has her out indefinitely. That kid can't catch a break.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
While I like Nika, I believe she has been overrated continuously since she arrived at UConn. Sure, she is a gritty, tough player but beyond that has not done a whole lot to warrant the exaggerated (imo) praise she receives from many on this board. She is not a strong shooter/scorer, she turns the ball over more than she should, not a great free throw shooter, can’t create her own shot, and doesn’t draw a lot of fouls. Having said that, (counting down to indignant criticism) she is/was a solid backup for Paige and when Paige was the primary scorer last year she fairly ably ran the point so Geno could play Paige off the ball in an attempt to get more scoring from his primary weapon. This year however, she is hurt, competing with at least two, perhaps three, players who are clearly more talented and who offer things that she simply cannot compete with (Shooting, size, athleticism) even under optimal circumstances. Her strength is in her toughness, aggression, and the example that she sets with those attributes. However, for whatever reason (injury?) she has not brought those to the table yet and finds herself struggling to remain relevant on a team where she desperately needs those attributes to maintain her position in front of more talented teammates. I wish her well, but I believe her minutes are going to be severely curtailed as Azzi, Aubrey, Caroline, and maybe even Mir are simply more talented players.
As stated by Geno when she was inserted as a starter the team played its best last year. The Arizona game she played only 20 minutes on a bad leg, didn't start came in after Arizona built the lead they would hold.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Unfortunately Nika has limited offensive skills. Really is a poor 3 point shooter and cannot drive to the hoop. She scores must of her points off steals that she perfected.
I do really admire her grit and toughness and I do root for her, but she is under skilled offensively against the top competition that UCONN must figure out how to beat this year.
I believe as a starter her 3 point average was over 40%.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's completely unfounded to draw this conclusion ("really a poor 3 point shooter") based apparently on tonight's game. Remember that she had an 0-for-America period from the 3-point line at the beginning of last season that lasted longer than this, but eventually (when she played a lot of minutes) she became a credible 3-point shooter.

I think that she and Caroline are in the same boat. If they got a lot more minutes, their play would improve markedly, but it's a Catch-22 because Geno can't afford to give them a lot more minutes until they are more productive.

I think it will work out for both of them, but it may take until mid-January for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I believe as a starter her 3 point average was over 40%.
@Nick Pignatello
Why can’t you take her games now at face value? She has not showed any improvement in 5 games this year and a whole summer and fall to practice. Not only does she get a chance to prove herself in practice, she also proves each game this year. Cristyn was phenomenal her freshman year but has regressed. No one judges Cristyn based on her freshman year they judge her based on NOW. You should do the same for Nika. Base her game for face value in what she’s doing right now.

Reaction Score
It's completely unfounded to draw this conclusion ("really a poor 3 point shooter") based apparently on tonight's game. Remember that she had an 0-for-America period from the 3-point line at the beginning of last season that lasted longer than this, but eventually (when she played a lot of minutes) she became a credible 3-point shooter.

I think that she and Caroline are in the same boat. If they got a lot more minutes, their play would improve markedly, but it's a Catch-22 because Geno can't afford to give them a lot more minutes until they are more productive.

I think it will work out for both of them, but it may take until mid-January for that to happen.
based on every game this season actually. which game did she have good 3-point shooting?

sun

Reaction Score
Nika was tied for having the 2nd most 3 pointers on the team last year.
Her 3 point ability shouldn't be questioned, but she's more of a play maker that produces good team chemistry.

JBK

Reaction Score
Welcome to BY. Nika will not be a starter this year (may be next year) but she will be in Geno's rotation. I also think she has great potential. And wish she has a fast recovery of

She is 0 for 6 this year after making it a priority

I did state I am rooting for Nika, but 0 for 6 this season after she made it a point of emphasis is disappointing. What’s more disappointing is she is hesitant to shoot the ball. - no threat at all and teams know that- and it will eventually create more double teaming on Paige. She also was a great passer upon coming to UCONN and her lack of confidence has impacted that part of her game as well.
I know Geno creates added pressure on these young ladies, but I hope her toughness comes through at some point.
As far as Caroline, she needs to play for a period of time and work out her nerves.

Reaction Score
She is 0 for 6 this year after making it a priority

I did state I am rooting for Nika, but 0 for 6 this season after she made it a point of emphasis is disappointing. What’s more disappointing is she is hesitant to shoot the ball. - no threat at all and teams know that- and it will eventually create more double teaming on Paige. She also was a great passer upon coming to UCONN and her lack of confidence has impacted that part of her game as well.
I know Geno creates added pressure on these young ladies, but I hope her toughness comes through at some point.
As far as Caroline, she needs to play for a period of time and work out her nerves.
I am more concerned with Nika's defense this year (althought her hesitantcy on offense is an issue as well). She seems to be a half step slow and is playing defense with her hands versus moving her feet. Her 4 fouls last night were a great example - most were on straightforward one on one assignments that she did well with last year.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
@Nick Pignatello
Why can’t you take her games now at face value? She has not showed any improvement in 5 games this year and a whole summer and fall to practice. Not only does she get a chance to prove herself in practice, she also proves each game this year. Cristyn was phenomenal her freshman year but has regressed. No one judges Cristyn based on her freshman year they judge her based on NOW. You should do the same for Nika. Base her game for face value in what she’s doing right now.
Face value when playing 35 minutes at a time not only a few. The point is she blossomed when put in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
The definition of insanity is something like doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. Until a coach or instructor who understands shooting mechanics teaches her the footwork and consistent release of a good shooter and how to dribble into a jumpshot, she's not going to improve.

Reaction Score
There is also a time limit that Nika (and Caroline) are facing. If they don’t show the coach a reason to give them more minutes before Azzi and Aubrey return, it will be a long season spent on the bench. Nika’s chance may come from contributing the intensity and aggressiveness that this team (except Paige) seems to be missing. That’s really why she is a fan favorite. Finesse is fine to a certain point but there are times when you need to let the other team know that your going toe to toe with them. That’s when this team needs Nika.

sun

Reaction Score
Nika reminds me of how Jen Rizzotti used to play.
"Put a tiger in your tank"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is also a time limit that Nika (and Caroline) are facing. If they don’t show the coach a reason to give them more minutes before Azzi and Aubrey return, it will be a long season spent on the bench. Nika’s chance may come from contributing the intensity and aggressiveness that this team (except Paige) seems to be missing. That’s really why she is a fan favorite. Finesse is fine to a certain point but there are times when you need to let the other team know that your going toe to toe with them. That’s when this team needs Nika.
This is not a boxing match it is basketball. Both Caroline and Nika need to contribute by keeping the other team from scoring and putting the ball in the basket. This is the same challenge for all the players and notice the use of the word and as opposed to or. Azzi and Aubrey are both hurt so it must be Caroline and Nika until they return. This is why they said they came to UCONN-opportunity knocks!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nika reminds me of how Jen Rizzotti used to play.
"Put a tiger in your tank"

Excuse Me Judging You GIF

Wade Trophy and AP POY, that Jen Rizzotti?

Reaction Score
Nika simply has not been good when she is on the court. She hustles, but plays like a bull in a china shop. Her outside shot has been atrocious, bad decisions, bad passes, and too man fouls - and I like Nika! Tryin' too hard, maybe.

sun

Reaction Score
Nika simply has not been good when she is on the court. She hustles, but plays like a bull in a china shop. Her outside shot has been atrocious, bad decisions, bad passes, and too man fouls - and I like Nika! Tryin' too hard, maybe.
Then why was she tied for the 2nd most number of 3 pointers on the team last year?
Some would say that Nika played lights out as a freshmen.

Reaction Score
Face value when playing 35 minutes at a time not only a few. The point is she blossomed when put in the starting lineup.
@Nick Pignatello

These are Nika’s 3-point stats against teams that were at one point ranked top-25 last year:
SC 1-3
depaul 1-4
arizona 0-1
arkansas 2-4
Overall top-25 teams: 4-12; 33%. That’s hardly a true threat. Her only great games were against bottom of the barrel big east teams. we’re not winning a championship by only playing good against BE. You and I may just have different outlooks on competition. I don’t base performance on BE schools.

All I ask if that you judge her objectively like everyone else. Enough “energy” points. Her energy is getting more fouls than points. No team energies their way to a championship. It requires skill as well. Even Arizona had skill in Ari McDonald and defense without fouling and slapping

sun

Reaction Score
Someone who was at the SH game posted that Nika and Caroline were making all of their 3 point shots during the 30 minute pre-game warm up.
There's more to scoring than making baskets such as by making assists, crisp & smart passes, good cuts, having good chemistry and knowing how the offense works.
Some players like Nika are naturally more athletic and can hustle more than others.
That's why she should be in the playing rotation, at least she helps to prevent wear & tear on other players.
No one is perfect, but Geno can quantify Nika's ability compared to other players when he decides who should play & how much.
She'll get to prove herself against some of the better teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then why was she tied for the 2nd most number of 3 pointers on the team last year?
Some would say that Nika played lights out as a freshmen.

Geno said that some players are struggling because they are trying to adjust to the new 3 point line. Even Paige’s 3 point percentage is way down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom