Nika's Performances and Playing Time | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nika's Performances and Playing Time

Reaction Score
Then why was she tied for the 2nd most number of 3 pointers on the team last year?
Some would say that Nika played lights out as a freshmen.

I was referring to this season. I agree that last year she was a huge asset - this year, hasn't impressed at all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Someone who was at the SH game posted that Nika and Caroline were making all of their 3 point shots during the 30 minute pre-game warm up.
There's more to scoring than making baskets such as by making assists, crisp & smart passes, good cuts, having good chemistry and knowing how the offense works.
Some players like Nika are naturally more athletic and can hustle more than others.
That's why she should be in the playing rotation, at least she helps to prevent wear & tear on other players.
No one is perfect, but Geno can quantify Nika's ability compared to other players when he decides who should play & how much.
She'll get to prove herself against some of the better teams.
Forgot to welcome you to the BY.
If Nika and Caroline are making all of their shots in pre-game warmups that's a good thing but not nearly as good as making a few in the real games. Come to think of it , it's rather disturbing to go from making all your shots in practice and shooting air balls in the game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Uhm.... Nika wasn't tied for the 2nd most number of 3 pointers on the team last year.
Official stats are right here.
The correct statement (based on the stat page that you linked) is that Nika was tied for second place on the team in 3-point percentage. Paige was first at 46.4%, and Christyn and Nika tied for second with a 34.3% success rate from the arc.

Nika took about half as many 3-point shots as Christyn, which is very roughly proportional to their minutes played.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Forgot to welcome you to the BY.
If Nika and Caroline are making all of their shots in pre-game warmups that's a good thing but not nearly as good as making a few in the real games. Come to think of it , it's rather disturbing to go from making all your shots in practice and shooting air balls in the game.
But, like Nika's 3-point shooting percentage last year, it is a strong indication that both Nika's and Caroline's current problems are with butterflies in their stomach(s) when they get on the court for very limited minutes.

I understand Geno's dilemma: he can't afford to play them for a lot of minutes unless they are more productive than they have shown in the limited minutes he has given them. Last year, Nika got larger minutes when injuries forced other starters to play less. The same thing is happening now with Azzi's and Aubrey's injuries. I expect that Nika and Caroline will get gradually increased minutes, and (very gradually) they will get over the butterflies and perform at the level that their skills permit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The correct statement (based on the stat page that you linked) is that Nika was tied for second place on the team in 3-point percentage. Paige was first at 46.4%, and Christyn and Nika tied for second with a 34.3% success rate from the arc.Nika took about half as many 3-point shots as Christyn, which is very roughly proportional to their minutes played.
Understood but that's not what the post said. I can also easily flip this conversation and point out that Nika had the 2nd Lowest FG% on the team last year. You should also understand that 3PG% isn't "roughly" proportional to minutes played because of that thing call fatigue kicking in.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But, like Nika's 3-point shooting percentage last year, it is a strong indication that both Nika's and Caroline's current problems are with butterflies in their stomach(s) when they get on the court for very limited minutes.

I understand Geno's dilemma: he can't afford to play them for a lot of minutes unless they are more productive than they have shown in the limited minutes he has given them. Last year, Nika got larger minutes when injuries forced other starters to play less. The same thing is happening now with Azzi's and Aubrey's injuries. I expect that Nika and Caroline will get gradually increased minutes, and (very gradually) they will get over the butterflies and perform at the level that their skills permit.
It is entirely possible that a player can overcome butterflies. Anna Makurat started with butterflies and overcame them. Nika started last season by making 1 of her first 15 FG attempts and I'm not talking about her first 15 3PT attempts either-most of those were layups. Caroline I can understand butterflies but Nika is a former starter who so far is shooting 27% this season. During the 2nd half of the SH game Nika is becoming something that is even more dangerous than an inaccurate shooter- she has become a reluctant shooter having passed up many shots yesterday- Mikayla Coombs kind of reluctant. In 49 minutes of game action Nika has attempted 12 shots. That is roughly 1 shot for every 4 minutes on the court & is not enough shots to keep the defense honest especially for the primary facilitator of the offense.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
It is entirely possible that a player can overcome butterflies. Anna Makurat started with butterflies and overcame them. Nika started last season by making 1 of her first 15 FG attempts and I'm not talking about her first 15 3PT attempts either-most of those were layups. Caroline I can understand butterflies but Nika is a former starter who so far is shooting 27% this season. During the 2nd half of the SH game Nika is becoming something that is even more dangerous than an inaccurate shooter- she has become a reluctant shooter having passed up many shots yesterday- Mikayla Coombs kind of reluctant. In 49 minutes of game action Nika has attempted 12 shots. That is roughly 1 shot for every 4 minutes on the court & is not enough shots to keep the defense honest especially for the primary facilitator of the offense.
You're right. She has become a reluctant shooter. She has to keep throwing it up when she is open, and things will come together.

Reaction Score
Bottom line - if she want PT she needs to develop a mid range shot and make her layups. Players are cheating off her because they know she is not a shooting threat.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bottom line - if she want PT she needs to develop a mid range shot and make her layups. Players are cheating off her because they know she is not a shooting threat.
The UCONN opponents are sagging off everyone not named Paige. Only Azzi was able to make USF pay.

sun

Reaction Score
The correct statement (based on the stat page that you linked) is that Nika was tied for second place on the team in 3-point percentage. Paige was first at 46.4%, and Christyn and Nika tied for second with a 34.3% success rate from the arc.

Nika took about half as many 3-point shots as Christyn, which is very roughly proportional to their minutes played.
Thanks for the correction and the reference page.
I got the info. from a UCTV video that didn't mention the word "percentage."
What it said is that "...she is tied for the 2nd highest 3 pointers on the team..."
Unfortunately I believed the video content which can be seen below at the 1:02 mark.

sun

Reaction Score
On the other hand, Nika had 62 assists compared to CW with 64, and who played almost twice as many minutes.
When she wasn't shooting 3's, Nika was used to passing the ball off to other players to score.
That was her role.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
On the other hand, Nika had 62 assists compared to CW with 64, and who played almost twice as many minutes.
When she wasn't shooting 3's, Nika was used to passing the ball off to other players to score.
That was her role.
Well when you are a poor shooter like Nika, it makes perfect sense to pass the ball to someone who can shoot-that would be Christyn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was her role.
I wouldn't judge Nika's assist profiency by comparing her to Christyn. The latter isn't exactly known for looking for open teammates once she has the ball. As you said, that is Nika's role. It's not Christyn's.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
@Nick Pignatello

These are Nika’s 3-point stats against teams that were at one point ranked top-25 last year:
SC 1-3
depaul 1-4
arizona 0-1
arkansas 2-4
Overall top-25 teams: 4-12; 33%. That’s hardly a true threat. Her only great games were against bottom of the barrel big east teams. we’re not winning a championship by only playing good against BE. You and I may just have different outlooks on competition. I don’t base performance on BE schools.

All I ask if that you judge her objectively like everyone else. Enough “energy” points. Her energy is getting more fouls than points. No team energies their way to a championship. It requires skill as well. Even Arizona had skill in Ari McDonald and defense without fouling and slapping
My numbers were as a starter, didn't start against Arizona played 20 minutes on a bad leg after Arizona built their 1st half lead. The worst number you show was against a BE team. Take DePaul out, 3-8 against the others. Against Marquette 5-13. Geno inserted her as a starter not because of her shooting, the other intangibles.

Reaction Score
The Uconn style of play requires players to contribute from all positions. When that does not happen, the team looks sluggish and tentative. Nika shows tenacity on the defensive end. Often, her aggression is not controlled and she fouls and turns the ball over. She does not look for shots often enough so when she is on the floor, the other team can sag and put more people on the scorers (e.g., Paige). Uconn cannot afford to have players be on the floor for 15 minutes and not score 8 - 10 points. When Nika starts scoring, she will play more.

We had the same issue with the forwards in the Baylor game. Good defense but not enough scoring. When more players start scoring, the court will open up and the opportunities to score will go up.

Just my 2 cents...

Reaction Score
Except for maybe the South Carolina game I think many of the referee cals have been a little chippy. Especially the traveling calls.

Reaction Score

It could also be that they're still adjusting to the new 3 point line

Reaction Score
Nika needs to shoot pretty good from 3 like she did last year after she got her feet wet and before her late season injuries. She shot 37.3% from 3; that's equivalent to 55.95%. If she isn't hitting, and especially if she is passing up shots, it's hard to play her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom