Nika: Who among the past excellent UConn PGs does she remind you of? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika: Who among the past excellent UConn PGs does she remind you of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For me, Doty...
Ah, you're referring to CD2, I believe.

Someone said that the use of nicknames removes the individuality of the person being referenced. I think it locates that person in a long UConn history, which is a good thing. I think Ms. Ducharme, who has followed the team since she was a little girl, would particularly appreciate that.

Beyond that, I know of no complaints when Crystal was referred to ubiquitously on this forum as Crystal Dangerfield. Did she break the mold for nicknames in this format?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I agree she is very intense and competitive but in terms of on court production, Jen Rizzotti was superior in virtually every way! Frankly, I see this as a bit of a slap in the face for Jen. Jen Rizzotti was a two time Kodak All-American, she was a first team All-American for the AP, UPI, and USBWA, Big East Player of the Year, AP Player of the Year, and won the Wade and Naismith awards! Let’s get a little perspective here!
For the 90s Jen was a star. With today's athletes I don't think so.

Reaction Score
I’m a big Nika fan. Her emotions are contagious. Her effort is unmatched. She never quits. But, it ends there. She’ not close to any PG’s mentioned here.
I wonder why Geno inserted her in as a starter over Evina, then.....the latter has more offense. Our memories of past PGs are colored by the level of athletes they played against, of course.....and the skill sets of the other players on the team. For this team, Geno must think that a pass-first, defense-first energetic guard who mans the point of attack on defense has high value, especially in getting everyone involved in both sides of the ball.

Geno jokingly downplaying Paige's offense and emphasize her playmaking and defense when she returns, must give you an idea of the importance he places on playmaking to fully engage the rest of the resources in the team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is Nika's favorite player:

dennis-rodman-craziest-moments-main.jpg

Reaction Score
In temperament I think Rizotti. Nika is only a sophomore. I suspect that she has not reached the peak of her offensive potential just yet. That picture floating around of her next to Sue Bird is intriguing but she has a ways to go to get to Sue Bird level. ;)
I think the picture is more about the wearing of jersey #10...

Reaction Score
The facial expressions and fist clenching in that side by side of Sue and Nika are worth noting. The similarities in those pictures go beyond the number on the jersey. It's a snapshot of facial and body expression, not a comment on playing skills.

Reaction Score
I wonder why Geno inserted her in as a starter over Evina, then.....the latter has more offense. Our memories of past PGs are colored by the level of athletes they played against, of course.....and the skill sets of the other players on the team. For this team, Geno must think that a pass-first, defense-first energetic guard who mans the point of attack on defense has high value, especially in getting everyone involved in both sides of the ball.

Geno jokingly downplaying Paige's offense and emphasize her playmaking and defense when she returns, must give you an idea of the importance he places on playmaking to fully engage the rest of the resources in the team.
Evina is not a natural point guard and she has bad knees. As for the referenced Geno statement, the key word there is “jokingly”. I doubt you’ll find a single long term UConn fan that has any doubt on the importance Geno places on playmaking! However, there is something else he values as well. Having a good backup point guard behind a transcendent one could make the difference between a National Championship and yet another disappointing end to a season! We have that with Nika! She is extremely valuable to this team and does not need some tortured comparison with previous players whether they were equivalent or not. If we win it all this year, Nika will have played a large part in that success! Isn’t that enough?

Reaction Score
Surprised that no one has mentioned Shea Ralph. Bird, Nurse, Rizzotti all had skills in common with Nika but played under control at all times. While skill wise there was no comparison, Ralph and Nika are the only guards I can think of that were constantly moving at full speed/on the verge of crashing (mean this in a good way).

Reaction Score
Missed the time limit to edit but just would add that I totally agree with most assessments above. At this point Nika isn't in the conversation in terms of great Uconn Point Guards but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more infectious passionate team first teammate. Love what she brings!
Well said

Reaction Score
Several different excellent PGs for UConn WBB but I didn't see anyone before Jen Rizzotti. Who does Nika most resemble in what she brings to the team's play? Not Sue or Diana, certainly but who.....Rene Montgomery? Caroline Doty? Little Mo? Crystal? Anyone? She can't be that unique.

Maybe Jen Rizzotti? (who had more offense though)

They did need her to come back and help stabilize play.....
Rizzoti - that's all.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Evina is not a natural point guard and she has bad knees. As for the referenced Geno statement, the key word there is “jokingly”. I doubt you’ll find a single long term UConn fan that has any doubt on the importance Geno places on playmaking! However, there is something else he values as well. Having a good backup point guard behind a transcendent one could make the difference between a National Championship and yet another disappointing end to a season! We have that with Nika! She is extremely valuable to this team and does not need some tortured comparison with previous players whether they were equivalent or not. If we win it all this year, Nika will have played a large part in that success! Isn’t that enough?
Thank you.

Reaction Score
Several different excellent PGs for UConn WBB but I didn't see anyone before Jen Rizzotti. Who does Nika most resemble in what she brings to the team's play? Not Sue or Diana, certainly but who.....Rene Montgomery? Caroline Doty? Little Mo? Crystal? Anyone? She can't be that unique.

She seems unique to me.

Reaction Score
Addendum to my Rizzoti comparison. I think Nika also has a little Bam Bam in her.
I loved me some Stacy Hansmeyer

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree she is very intense and competitive but in terms of on court production, Jen Rizzotti was superior in virtually every way! Frankly, I see this as a bit of a slap in the face for Jen. Jen Rizzotti was a two time Kodak All-American, she was a first team All-American for the AP, UPI, and USBWA, Big East Player of the Year, AP Player of the Year, and won the Wade and Naismith awards! Let’s get a little perspective here!
Agree regarding the need for perspective.

No one ever compares a current player to an unknown walk on. They are always compared to the best of our former players. Saying that Nika reminds people of Jen Rizzotti, doesn’t mean that she is an identical player with the same achievements.

CL82

Reaction Score
When I watch Nika, I think immediately of Kelly Faris, who always looked like she was playing with two black eyes. The common thread between the two is their intensity, at both ends of the court.
My memories of Faris are that she was less visible with her emotion. Tough as nails though!

Reaction Score

None, Nika is Niche of her own. The closest is Jen Rizzotti as you say. Rene was an excellent scorer as she drove to the basket and a better than average 3 point and jump shooter. She was especially good a stops and pops. Doty was better at the 3 tough as nails. Moe in my opinion none were better than she until Paige. Crystal again she stands alone. Uconn has been bless with very good to great PG's --and this is not by accident.

Reaction Score
Agree regarding the need for perspective.

No one ever compares a current player to an unknown walk on. They are always compared to the best of our former players. Saying that Nika reminds people of Jen Rizzotti, doesn’t mean that she is an identical player with the same achievements.
Jen was very good during her time. The game has changed dramatically since then. Faster, better shooter, mostly taller, more talented. Yet, Jen was much of this--that is why we cannot compare Jen to Nika, close, but no true comparison. It is not a slap at Jen to make this comparison it is a pat on the back to both. I'm sure if Jen reads this she would be pleased. Two of the toughest (including Doty) to ever have played at Uconn.

Reaction Score
My memories of Faris are that she was less visible with her emotion. Tough as nails though!
Not as deliberately tough as Nika. More controlled than Nika. Faris never looked to physically connect with anyone. NIKA, would body slam an opponent if she thought the Refs were looking the other way. Enforcer??

CL82

Reaction Score
NIKA, would body slam an opponent if she thought the Refs were looking the other way. Enforcer??
Well she is a menace, or so I’ve read.

Reaction Score
She is Ashley Battle on offense in a sense that she can have that 8-0 spurt alone and then in the same game, throw up a bunch of bricks and make some plays that make you want to scream. And on D, she is a hybrid of Stacy Hansmeyer and Kia Nurse.
I'm a fan of Both Battles. Ashley had ONE game where she threw up a bunch of 3s. Nika more often than not throws up a 1 or 3 in a game or nothing.
No one was as deliberately tough and at times uncontrolled as NIKA, and I'd take 2 more just like her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom