NIKA Thou Shall Not?? | The Boneyard

NIKA Thou Shall Not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nice article here about Nika's great role this year.

There is a CD quote that raises an issue about Nika's play. It makes me question where Geno is coming from with Nika. Here it is:

“I think they were good shots,” associate head coach Chris Dailey said. “They came within the rhythm and they weren't too fast. They came within the rhythm of what we were doing and they weren't like five seconds into the shot clock, so I think I can live with that. Hopefully Coach can when he comes back.

Since when is a point guard who can score the three doing something wrong. Seton Hall started the game essentially not guarding Nika. I'll have to go back and look later in the game. If she stretches the defense, keeps them honest, cliche, cliche :) what is wrong with it? Telling her not to shoot the 3 on the other hand could be damaging.

Reaction Score
3s can be addictive. I can see why CD and a Geno might worry that a lucky streak from 3 might distract their star pg from her most important role on the team.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I remember CD saying that with a bit of a smirk on her face. I wonder if the message was really, "We've been trying to get Nika to do that for two-plus years." She'll sometimes only shoot after looking around and finding nobody else open, which takes her out of the flow of the offense.

She's shooting 40 % from three on the year now, and 45% overall. I think any coach would take that from a pass-first point guard.

Reaction Score
NIKA will always be NIKA. That's who she is and I will take anything she wants to do at this point in her career. She is well adjusted and team orientated and I do not believe she would do anything that would hurt the team. I don't believe she will all of a sudden become a ball hawk shooter. NIKA knows she is the heart of the teams offense and defense and why would she change? GO NIKA!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
3s can be addictive. I can see why CD and a Geno might worry that a lucky streak from 3 might distract their star pg from her most important role on the team.
I am not so sure that it’s a lucky streak. Her shots look pretty good. It’s probably more of a case of her just simply being a pass first point guard. But, having another player who can knock down a three if they’re left open - I am not really sure how that can help an offense?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nika is, and always be, a pass first point guard. She has been compared, and rightly so, to that spark plug from New Fairfield - Jenn Rizzotti.

There is no need to worry about Nika becoming shot happy. Teams now have to respect her shooting ability. This alone makes her twice as difficult to guard.

Reaction Score
I don't find CD's comments surprising. A shot that is within the flow of the offense and not rushed is fine. Nika needs a little more time and space than our great shooters, but has earned the right to take that shot when it is there. The thing that is the biggest improvement in Nika is she has reduced her fouling substantially and improved her assist to turnover ratio.

The amazing thing about the later, is that it has happened while she has become much more aggressive trying to make things happen with her passing. In essence unleashing Nika to be Nika has improved her assist/turnover ratio, as opposed to making the safe pass and being focused on eliminating mistakes, as a passer in the half court offense that rarely penetrated.

Obviously much of that is being "the" point guard all the time, not sharing that role with Paige. When they were both in the game, Nika at the point was much better than the other way around. Paige is a way better player and can be great at either position, but Nika as a spot up three point shooter playing off of Paige is not nearly as effective. Also this year there has been a steady effort to pick up the pace unlike last year. The formula is simple, get the rebound, find Nika, run the floor and she will take care of the rest.

Nika's play this year, the success of completely turning the point guard reins over to her, and a commitment to push the pace, have in my opinion changed in a major way the projected lineup for next year. I had presumed Caroline would be a three year starter at the 3 starting this year, and Paige and Azzi would be the 1 &2 respectively.

Now with Nika's success and Caroline struggling I can't imagine the starters next year not being Nika at the point along with Azzi and Paige handling the 2/3.

Reaction Score
I think they were good shots,” associate head coach Chris Dailey said. “They came within the rhythm and they weren't too fast. They came within the rhythm of what we were doing and they weren't like five seconds into the shot clock,
I agree with CD, if its within the flow of the rhythm Nika can do it. However, I would like to modify somewhat here EVEN when five second into the shot clock, the more you should shoot it as long as you are not RUSH it ! !

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Nika shooting, “If not now when”…
One of Geno’s favorite refrain…
”Game is about putting the ball in the hoop”…

Nika did and she needs to continue to even when Azzi is back takes a lot of offensive pressure off her teammates and makes opposing team make unplanned adjustments to their defense…Creating better offensive opportunities for rest of the team…

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nika shooting, “If not now when”…
One of Geno’s favorite refrain…
”Game is about putting the ball in the hoop”…

Nika did and she needs to continue to even when Azzi is back takes a lot of offensive pressure off her teammates and makes opposing team make unplanned adjustments to their defense…Creating better offensive opportunities for rest of the team…
When Azzi comes back, you will have Azzi, Lou, Liya, and Dorka, with Caroline coming off of the bench. With the combination of those other 4 being on the floor at the same time, Nika has enough to create many scoring opportunities for the rest of the team. Nika is not a shoot first point guard, never been one so why do something like it when she has 4 solid offense weapons to pass the ball to for an easy score.

Reaction Score
When Azzi comes back, you will have Azzi, Lou, Liya, and Dorka, with Caroline coming off of the bench. With the combination of those other 4 being on the floor at the same time, Nika has enough to create many scoring opportunities for the rest of the team. Nika is not a shoot first point guard, never been one so why do something like it when she has 4 solid offense weapons to pass the ball to for an easy score.
If Nika is hitting the 3s, then let her- I don't think a 3 by Azzi, Lou or Caroline counts any more than a 3 by Nika.

Reaction Score
What about Aubrey? I don't see how she doesn't come back. She is a better rebounder and defender right now. I like Caroline off the bench. Instant offense.

Reaction Score
I'd say that would be fine against weaker, smaller teams although you'd be in big trouble against teams like South Carolina or Stanford.........I expect Brady to play a major role next year at both ends of the court.....l.
I largely agree with Charliebball here. I think Caroline at the 4 could be a situational thing against some teams, but if you look at the top two teams this year they both have great bigs, great backup bigs, and some third string bigs that could start for most teams.

If Caroline does start at the 4, I think it probably means our options at the 5 have not lived up to expectations. I expect Ice to have a good chance to start there, with Jana being a possibility as well. I would be surprised if Amari won that battle, but those are three pretty good if inexperienced options. The option of starting Ayanna at the 4 and moving Aaliyah to the 5 is not out of the question either, but I don't really like moving Aaliyah in what could be an All American season away from her natural position.

If Caroline was clearly the best player on the bench she could wind up getting close to starter minutes by being a potential sub for 1-3, and occasional spot use at the 4. She is a natural 3, could easily fill in at the 2, and if she came in for Nika, Paige could slide over to the point.

By the way I forgot one more option at the 5, namely a player to be named later from the transfer portal. Given how inexperienced our 5 prospects are, a fifth year grad student that could be a good one year rental could be a great fit, so that the freshmen don't have to be counted on right away. I have no idea what might be out there, but that is the only position I would even think about exploring in the portal.

Reaction Score
I'd say that would be fine against weaker, smaller teams although you'd be in big trouble against teams like South Carolina or Stanford.........I expect Brady to play a major role next year at both ends of the court.....l.
You answered that almost exactly with what I was thinking. The three guards will arguably be the best three guard line up in history. Aaliyah will be a lock. However, against teams with a big front lineup, it could prove troublesome. Even though UConn will have Griffin, Patterson, Brady, and El Alfy, I would not rule out grabbing a big from the transfer portal this year for just those situations.

Reaction Score
I largely agree with Charliebball here. I think Caroline at the 4 could be a situational thing against some teams, but if you look at the top two teams this year they both have great bigs, great backup bigs, and some third string bigs that could start for most teams.

If Caroline does start at the 4, I think it probably means our options at the 5 have not lived up to expectations. I expect Ice to have a good chance to start there, with Jana being a possibility as well. I would be surprised if Amari won that battle, but those are three pretty good if inexperienced options. The option of starting Ayanna at the 4 and moving Aaliyah to the 5 is not out of the question either, but I don't really like moving Aaliyah in what could be an All American season away from her natural position.

If Caroline was clearly the best player on the bench she could wind up getting close to starter minutes by being a potential sub for 1-3, and occasional spot use at the 4. She is a natural 3, could easily fill in at the 2, and if she came in for Nika, Paige could slide over to the point.

By the way I forgot one more option at the 5, namely a player to be named later from the transfer portal. Given how inexperienced our 5 prospects are, a fifth year grad student that could be a good one year rental could be a great fit, so that the freshmen don't have to be counted on right away. I have no idea what might be out there, but that is the only position I would even think about exploring in the portal.
don't forget that UConn has some very talented freshmen coming in who should make next year's UConn team one of the deepest in memory (barring injuries of course)

Reaction Score
I like the idea of Caroline playing the 4 in a 4-out set with Aaliyah at the 5. Yes, it’d be situational. But it wouldn’t just be against smaller teams. It’d be a speed lineup that could respond to a smaller lineup, or force larger teams to go to a smaller lineup to keep up. Caroline is not quick as guards go, but she’d be a quick 4.

Could we use Ashlynn or KK in such a set? Sure, but I’d mainly rely on Nika Azzi and Paige. Eventually, say in 2025, we might see KK Ashlynn Allie and Q run it with Ice Ayanna or Jana at the 5. Sounds good to me.

Reaction Score
One thing is for sure, if everyone is healthy (I hope and pray) excellent players will be sitting on the bench waiting their turn to get in the game. Isn't this like a summertime conversation? There are more immediate things to be focused on right now. NIKA!

Reaction Score
Nika has shown she can make an open 3 this year, and should keep taking them. If she has an off game shooting , then look to do other things.
In the last game, I thought she did a better job driving to the basket and getting the ball up on the board.
With her improved shooting and more drives, that completely opens up our offense for more opportunities.

Reaction Score
Notwithstanding her commendable % numbers, Nika is still not the best shooting option in the lineup, and she knows it. But when your defender has purposely left you open, daring you to take that shot, you have to take it. And thankfully, she is making those defenders pay.

Reaction Score
This does sound like conversations from the summer. Worries then included that Nika’s offensive skills were limiting her effectiveness as a pass-first pg. This thought grew out of remarks by Geno and Nika that she was working on such skills. The offensive skills she possessed last season were mainly limited to a quite slow developing 3pt shot with a low release point and layups on runouts.

Well, she obviously put in a lot of work on half court offense, probably with a lot encouragement from Coach P, and it shows now. Her 3 point shot is a bit quicker and has a slightly higher release point. If she’s simply unguarded on the perimeter, as in the SH game, I agree that she has to take that shot. She won’t always make 4 of 5. But she still has to shoot.

Perhaps even more important than improving her perimeter shooting, she’s started driving and finishing at the rim and she’s proven quite effective when she does so. Here, too, I think the influence of Coach P can be detected. This is an important factor in those 10 assists/game.

I suspect her success has enhanced the other aspects of her game: her relentless defense and her full-tilt leadership… and even more confidence, if that’s imaginable. She has a much more complete game this year and it is wonderful to see. Other great teams will adjust to her, and she’ll adjust in return, and as long as she has the shooters to pass to, I suspect she’ll prevail.

This is Nika’s year and it’s marvelous to watch it unfold!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32