Nika Player Breakdown | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika Player Breakdown

Reaction Score
Nika is relentless every second she's on the floor.
Sometimes she was a little overeager and picked up questionable fouls. Her season seemed to be sandwiched in between injuries.
We can only hope she stays healthy this season ( we can still expect her to show up with the occasional shiner) and continues on the improving trajectory she was on last season.
Her shooting got better, her defensive skills got sharper, her court vision improved.
Still a work in progress, but has she definitely shown why it was worth going Eastern Europe to get her.
Paige's wire to wire phenomenal performance, AE's aggressive physical presence, and Nika's impressive play, sort of made us all forget that these were freshmen, just starting to learn the ropes. As the games went by and the wins, against whoever, added up, going all the way was the expectation for this exceptionally young, but talented group.
UCONN has a history of recruiting the best and boldest out of the high schools and from around the globe.
People like Diana, Maya, KML, KLS, CW really hit the ground moving. Difficult to live up to that kind of example.
Seemed like last year's rookies developed markedly in the short, weird season.
Given the influx of fresh blood in 2021-2022, if the sophomores (not forgetting Mir and Piath) can move their performance & game smarts needle just a few inches upwards, Geno might just put one of his best squads ever on the floor.
I know that's a bold statement given Husky History, but you have to believe that the tougher NC schedule, the challenges from vastly improved programs and the competition amongst the "14" to excel or get out of the way is going to engender a hunger that has perhaps been missing or at least asleep.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Can you prove 100% Nika did it on purpose? Unless you can, she didn't injure herself.

(sometimes the attempts at arguments on here are just silly)
When someone steps off a curb and blows out their achilles tendon, that someone that injures themselves. It's a freak accident, but I did it. Same thing happened to Nika, it's a freak accident, but she injured herself. @Alyder stated that the High Point player did it on purpose and that's why Nika got hurt. My statement above is not what I meant to say. Unless you can, she did injure herself.

Reaction Score
Nika brings everything she has to the floor during a game....we all love her aggressive, emotional attitude. I don't buy the idea that she will be a great shooter, it is just not a big part of her game, but on this team it isn't really needed.
I would agree and go further to suggest that if the priority for Nika to see extensive playing time this season hinged on her being 'a great scorer' that would indicate a lot of players on the rooster are not playing to their strengths, Nika included. I believe Nika will continue to improve in the many areas I mentioned above but her personal goals and what will serve the team the best does not include being one of the leading scorers. In terms of scoring, she just needs to be an able scorer and someone you need to cover because she will hit more than she misses if left open.

What Nika can bring to the team this season, even more so than last, is to enable the many gifted scorers on the rooster to be in the best position and have the best opportunities to score. She will move the offense, set the picks, do the box outs and make the passes to do just that. That is where her heart and skills are on the offensive end. She loves to be part of the setup for her teammates to make the great shots, that is when we see her fist pumps and chest bumps, not after her own basket. I have to believe her teammates love to play with her because of her team first attitude, intensity, energy, engaging personality and her commitment to work her butt off to be the best player she can be for her team. The icing is that it isn't all about just a great attitude and desire but that she delivers as a skilled, great court visioned, hard-nosed competitor.

She's a unique kid on this rooster who I believe will continue to win over those who still don't see her as a valuable piece of what should be a championship caliber team this year and a few to come. Delegating her, as some have suggested, to be the player that spells Paige at point for the five minutes she will be off the court each game (Paiges concession mid season in the contract negotiations with Geno last year to have her shoot more) just isn't going to happen. Nika plays one position and that is point and I expect to see her there a lot more than 5 minutes/contest. I'm pretty sure Geno does as well.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
I would agree and go further to suggest that if the priority for Nika to see extensive playing time this season hinged on her being 'a great scorer' that would indicate a lot of players on the rooster are not playing to their strengths, Nika included. I believe Nika will continue to improve in the many areas I mentioned above but her personal goals and what will serve the team the best does not include being one of the leading scorers. In terms of scoring, she just needs to be an able scorer and someone you need to cover because she will hit more than she misses if left open.

What Nika can bring to the team this season, even more so than last, is to enable the many gifted scorers on the rooster to be in the best position and have the best opportunities to score. She will move the offense, set the picks, do the box outs and make the passes to do just that. That is where her heart and skills are on the offensive end. She loves to be part of the setup for her teammates to make the great shots, that is when we see her fist pumps and chest bumps, not after her own basket. I have to believe her teammates love to play with her because of her team first attitude, intensity, energy, engaging personality and her commitment to work her butt off to be the best player she can be for her team. The icing is that it isn't all about just a great attitude and desire but that she delivers as a skilled, great court visioned, hard-nosed competitor.

She's a unique kid on this rooster who I believe will continue to win over those who still don't see her as a valuable piece of what should be a championship caliber team this year and a few to come. Delegating her, as some have suggested, to be the player that spells Paige at point for the five minutes she will be off the court each game (Paiges concession mid season in the contract negotiations with Geno last year to have her shoot more) just isn't going to happen. Nika plays one position and that is point and I expect to see her there a lot more than 5 minutes/contest. I'm pretty sure Geno does as well.
I'm solid Nika fan....she brings the 'dawg' and game swag reminds me of Bria.Geno looooves her (he was tough on her last season) but he says she has something that no one on the team has -that's a quote. UConn players say when G rides you he sees something, another level there-they hated it but they know it was good for them. Geno says Nika's value doesn't show up in box scores - I agree Like others have stated I want N to work on reducing the unnecessary fouls. Hopefully a injury free season and lots of steals.

Reaction Score
I'm solid Nika fan....she brings the 'dawg' and game swag reminds me of Bria.Geno looooves her (he was tough on her last season) but he says she has something that no one on the team has -that's a quote. UConn players say when G rides you he sees something, another level there-they hated it but they know it was good for them. Geno says Nika's value doesn't show up in box scores - I agree Like others have stated I want N to work on reducing the unnecessary fouls. Hopefully a injury free season and lots of steals.
I agree. There is no stat for being a gnat.

Reaction Score
Not true. If you watch the game they show a replay where you can see that after Mühl went up for her shot her defender stepped laterally and put he left leg right where Mühl came down. No foul was called but it was obvious on replay.
I never really watched it that carefully before. I agree that it was a foul clearly and purposefully. It was a step in to her landing space to box her out or take a charge while she was in the air. It's in the family of what we used to call low bridges although not to that level because it wasn't from in back of her and perhaps something that was taught in practice although I truly hope not. I do hope we play them this year. Here's what I have to say about Nika - her favorite player is Dennis Rodman. What else do you need?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When someone steps off a curb and blows out their achilles tendon, that someone that injures themselves. It's a freak accident, but I did it. Same thing happened to Nika, it's a freak accident, but she injured herself. @Alyder stated that the High Point player did it on purpose and that's why Nika got hurt. My statement above is not what I meant to say. Unless you can, she did injure herself.
(sometimes the attempts at arguments on here are just silly)

I rest my case.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I would agree and go further to suggest that if the priority for Nika to see extensive playing time this season hinged on her being 'a great scorer' that would indicate a lot of players on the rooster are not playing to their strengths, Nika included.
That's what I've been thinking all along; you put it very well. Nika doesn't need to be a scorer, all she needs is to hit a three now and then to keep that possibility in the heads of the opponents. Moriah maxed out at about 12 points a game, and she probably averaged at least a couple of breakaway layups a game. She was such a good three-point shooter her last 3 years, it's easy to forget that she didn't shoot that many. If Nika can average 8 in 20 minutes or so, that'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Yes, we know there is no verifiable way to measure this, but....
How many points will good defense (turnovers), steals, blocks translate to during a game or season?
We can measure when the ball goes in the hoop, assists and other offensive efforts. Defensive play is often immeasurable.
Seemed like having Nika hound, pressure, disrupt and otherwise be a nuisance on defense led to lots of points on the other end.
Don't want to sacrifice that just to have her take a few more shots when we have a ton of people to do that this year.

Reaction Score
I start Nika. Despite how good I think Azzi will be, I see her being the microwave off the bench. She may likely post more minutes than any guard other than Paige. But, I like her as a fire off the bench as a freshman. Nika starts to maintain attitude.

Reaction Score
That's what I've been thinking all along; you put it very well. Nika doesn't need to be a scorer, all she needs is to hit a three now and then to keep that possibility in the heads of the opponents. Moriah maxed out at about 12 points a game, and she probably averaged at least a couple of breakaway layups a game. She was such a good three-point shooter her last 3 years, it's easy to forget that she didn't shoot that many. If Nika can average 8 in 20 minutes or so, that'll be fine.
Right but I think you will see her a lot more. She is a very good passer, starts the break, runs the team well, is a fighter, plays great point defense, and wants to win. We have all the shooters we need. I agree that she has to keep everyone honest by draining 3s when open but the priority is for the shots to come elsewhere. Hey we are loaded on the offensive end. We win #12 with defense this year.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you can be the 7th or 8th best player on the team and still warrant starting. If you can help all the other players be better. Sometimes effort level can be the crucial difference as well. It can inspire. Sometimes just managing the offense by taking charge can make all the difference in the world. All that said, you can't have the other team leave you open all the time without knocking down some shots. There isn't much of a penetration game with Nika, or frankly with any of the Uconn women. It's not their strength. I don't think Geno wants her going into the lane because she's clearly a pass first option. Maybe almost pass only in the lane. She didn't shoot at a great percentage but she was also just a Freshman. I would think there may be a confidence issue with almost any incoming freshman in terms of shooting 3's and such and if that changes she is a different player. It sounds like that improved after she started and that would make sense in several ways. Are you going to give Paige an open look or Nika? She probably had more open looks starting. Imagine how many open looks Azzi or Caroline would have as well though in that situation. I think Nika is a great young woman and she will have a career in the sport if she wants one or in any endeavor she wants to undertake. Very bright and effervescent. Hard working as hell. She should just be the best she can be and be happy with it. She doesn't have to be Sue Bird to have a good life. If her shot improves and she manages the team well she may end up starting but if not, she can clearly contribute. She wins no matter how this turns out. It's going to be a challenge and I wish her the very best.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Sometimes you can be the 7th or 8th best player on the team and still warrant starting. If you can help all the other players be better. Sometimes effort level can be the crucial difference as well. It can inspire. Sometimes just managing the offense by taking charge can make all the difference in the world. All that said, you can't have the other team leave you open all the time without knocking down some shots. There isn't much of a penetration game with Nika, or frankly with any of the Uconn women. It's not their strength. I don't think Geno wants her going into the lane because she's clearly a pass first option. Maybe almost pass only in the lane. She didn't shoot at a great percentage but she was also just a Freshman. I would think there may be a confidence issue with almost any incoming freshman in terms of shooting 3's and such and if that changes she is a different player. It sounds like that improved after she started and that would make sense in several ways. Are you going to give Paige an open look or Nika? She probably had more open looks starting. Imagine how many open looks Azzi or Caroline would have as well though in that situation. I think Nika is a great young woman and she will have a career in the sport if she wants one or in any endeavor she wants to undertake. Very bright and effervescent. Hard working as hell. She should just be the best she can be and be happy with it. She doesn't have to be Sue Bird to have a good life. If her shot improves and she manages the team well she may end up starting but if not, she can clearly contribute. She wins no matter how this turns out. It's going to be a challenge and I wish her the very best.
First of all Welcome to the Boneyard, second Nika was tied for second place in 3pt field percentage along with CW. She settled down after Geno had that in game discussion with her. Not that I agreed with what happened it did appear to help her change direction. If Geno thinks that she makes the team better and more cohesive than she is starting.

Reaction Score
First of all Welcome to the Boneyard, second Nika was tied for second place in 3pt field percentage along with CW. She settled down after Geno had that in game discussion with her. Not that I agreed with what happened it did appear to help her change direction. If Geno thinks that she makes the team better and more cohesive than she is starting.
Exactly. You don't automatically just play your 5 best shooters or scorers, you play your best team. If Nika makes the team its best she starts and plays. I think she does. There is a lot to be said for great point defense, passing, running the offense, toughness, and speed. We are all expecting offensive improvement over the summer as well. How can you not love her as a player? I hope she stays a 5th year.

Reaction Score
Exactly. You don't automatically just play your 5 best shooters, you play your best team. If Nika makes the team its best she starts and plays. I think she does. There is a lot to be said for great point defense, passing, running the offense, toughness, and speed. How can you not love her as a player?
Her close defense on pg's bringing up the ball wears them down physically and mentally over the course of a game. For years UConn has had to avoid foul trouble. This year I see pressure defense being used to force the pace up. Mühl will be the fire.
Well said. You of course mean Nika Fuel.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
nika?
e83237c5c00f6843415a415f1024952e.png

Reaction Score
Being 2nd place on this team in 3 point shooting was not a great accomplishment. Honestly, it was a weakness for us beyond Paige. Lot's of other teams had knock down 3 point shooters and one would think we would have several given our recruitment prowess. Hopefully Azzi and Caroline help in that regard.

Reaction Score
I don't think Nika starts most of the games this year. She has a lot of competition for that 5th spot. It depends on the other team some also right? For example, if South Carolina has twin towers in there you would think Geno will match that up. Injuries happen which affect things. Freshmen can use more time to get acclimated. One thing about Azzi though is she is used to playing top flight competition. She should acclimate quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if Nika begins the year starting but the numbers indicate Azzi is a terrific knock down shooter and whoever is going to get PT as Paige's back court mate is going to get shot opportunities. Nika had plenty last year. If she plays with confidence and knocks those down she gets PT. If Azzi or Caroline do, they get it. I think defensive effort level will also be a big factor. We have the resources. They should give everything they've got when on the court. Here is another issue. Who is quick enough on this team to stop the other team's quick guard who can penetrate ( Arizona's Macdonald types ). Quick guards are a problem for this team. I would give a lot of thought to working with Griffin or Westbrook to make them lock down defensive guards. Everyone needs to improve and the team could really use a great defensive guard. Williams is counted on for TOO much on this team. Her effort level is off the charts and it probably is affecting her shooting some.

Reaction Score
I always enjoy Nika's interviews, nothing is forced, very genuine, often a bit of levity and always enjoyable to see her interact with the interviewer. I have said before that I believe she will be one of those players that the crowds at Gampel really react to - she has such a demonstrative personality, high energy and intensity. We'll see what Geno comes up with given all the talent on the rooster and depth at all positions but I will be surprised if he plays Paige primarily at point guard, given how he was very intentional at moving her off point and inserting Nika in that role for better than the half of last season. I feel she responded to all his challenges last season, continually improving and earning her starting spot and I believe she will have continued to work to improve her game to be ready for this season.

I expect Nika to come back this season with continued intensity on defense, solid picks, great passing and box outs on rebounds. I anticipate her to show more willingness to shoot when open and/or challenge defenders more with drives to the basket and pull-ups, which should result in more kick outs, and-ones and trips to the line. Given a year's experience together I believe she knows where to deliver the ball to each teammate and they know to expect a pass from her so her assists should go up and turnovers drop. I expect her to continue to maintain her intensity on defense, disrupting their point in starting their offense and getting tips and steals while improving her ability to keep her player in front of her and reducing fouls.

Nika's stats for the 15 games she started (finishing out last season) all showed improvement. Over that period she shot 44% FG, 37.5% 3pt and per 40 minutes, averaged 8.63 points, 4.41 rebounds, 4.51 assists and 3.16 steals. As I suggested above I expect to see her improve on all those numbers, continue to be a great teammate and be an impactful member of the team. From all that she has said her goal for this season is to play what ever role she is asked to and do whatever she can to help her team win. How can you not be grateful this kid is on our team. I personally want to see her on the floor as much as possible because imo she makes her team better and I love to watch her play the game.
Paige played off the ball last year because she was the primary offensive weapon on the team and since Nika was a serviceable point guard he wanted to allow Paige’s focus to be more about scoring than running the team. He never said that Nika was a better pg. This is not to slight Nika as she is a fine pg but let’s face it, not at Paige’s level in any aspect of the game. This year he has more offensive options and (I believe) will move Paige back to her more natural position of running the team. Nika will be the primary backup at pg. Paige will play both positions but imo she will be the primary point guard for this team until she graduates.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

As of 2 days ago Nika was still in a boot and, naturally, not practicing. I don't recall any detail about this foot issue. Anybody have any info on what it is?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As of 2 days ago Nika was still in a boot and, naturally, not practicing. I don't recall any detail about this foot issue. Anybody have any info on what it is?
I think he got Nika mixed-up with Aubrey. Nika was practicing yesterday with the rest of the team. Aubrey is the one that had the white brace/boot on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom