Nika Player Breakdown | The Boneyard

Nika Player Breakdown

Reaction Score
I'm glad that she strongly supported Nika's shooting ability. Passing is just one of Nika's greatest strengths, but I'd still like her to shoot more. If her role is keeping everything moving, and moving fast, then she will earn more and more court time.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
You can`t overstate the impact on the opponent`s point guard, the best ball handler on their team, of Nika picking her pocket at midcourt and going in for an easy layup at the other end.

Suddenly embarrassed, frustrated, angry, tentative.

Reaction Score
You can`t overstate the impact on the opponent`s point guard, the best ball handler on their team, of Nika picking her pocket at midcourt and going in for an easy layup at the other end.

Suddenly embarrassed, frustrated, angry, tentative.

Her close defense on pg's bringing up the ball wears them down physically and mentally over the course of a game. For years UConn has had to avoid foul trouble. This year I see pressure defense being used to force the pace up. Mühl will be the fire.

Reaction Score
i'm a big fan of nika. Her playmaking ability is high level. Her grit and tenacity is amazing. When Geno says she brings something no one else does on the team I can definitely see it. To me she feels like the only pure point guard. If she improves her shot (from distance and develops from 15 off the pick and roll), I think she could really be special.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that if Nika had not injured herself in the High Point game and had been 100% in the Arizona game that UConn would have earned #12.
Not true. If you watch the game they show a replay where you can see that after Mühl went up for her shot her defender stepped laterally and put he left leg right where Mühl came down. No foul was called but it was obvious on replay.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not true. If you watch the game they show a replay where you can see that after Mühl went up for her shot her defender stepped laterally and put he left leg right where Mühl came down. No foul was called but it was obvious on replay.
Did she get injured or not? She didn't get a foul called so that's mute.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
the post said "injured herself". She did not. A player injured her. Semantics maybe.
Can you 100% prove that the player did it on purpose, unless you can, she injured herself, even if she landed on another person's foot. Are you going to go and say that the Seton Hall player did the same when Nika came down on her foot in the Quarterfinals game?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I love Nika's game and personality. She has the intensity that the team needs. Over the course of the year, she got better at connecting with fancy passes and shooting the 3-ball. As with Anna previously, Nika started 0-for-America, but then became a competent shooter. Her overall stats--even including the cold start--were decent. She didn't come 4.000 miles to be mediocre. She is probably my favorite interviewee.

Reaction Score
I love Nika's game and personality. She has the intensity that the team needs. Over the course of the year, she got better at connecting with fancy passes and shooting the 3-ball. As with Anna previously, Nika started 0-for-America, but then became a competent shooter. Her overall stats--even including the cold start--were decent. She didn't come 4.000 miles to be mediocre. She is probably my favorite interviewee.
I always enjoy Nika's interviews, nothing is forced, very genuine, often a bit of levity and always enjoyable to see her interact with the interviewer. I have said before that I believe she will be one of those players that the crowds at Gampel really react to - she has such a demonstrative personality, high energy and intensity. We'll see what Geno comes up with given all the talent on the rooster and depth at all positions but I will be surprised if he plays Paige primarily at point guard, given how he was very intentional at moving her off point and inserting Nika in that role for better than the half of last season. I feel she responded to all his challenges last season, continually improving and earning her starting spot and I believe she will have continued to work to improve her game to be ready for this season.

I expect Nika to come back this season with continued intensity on defense, solid picks, great passing and box outs on rebounds. I anticipate her to show more willingness to shoot when open and/or challenge defenders more with drives to the basket and pull-ups, which should result in more kick outs, and-ones and trips to the line. Given a year's experience together I believe she knows where to deliver the ball to each teammate and they know to expect a pass from her so her assists should go up and turnovers drop. I expect her to continue to maintain her intensity on defense, disrupting their point in starting their offense and getting tips and steals while improving her ability to keep her player in front of her and reducing fouls.

Nika's stats for the 15 games she started (finishing out last season) all showed improvement. Over that period she shot 44% FG, 37.5% 3pt and per 40 minutes, averaged 8.63 points, 4.41 rebounds, 4.51 assists and 3.16 steals. As I suggested above I expect to see her improve on all those numbers, continue to be a great teammate and be an impactful member of the team. From all that she has said her goal for this season is to play what ever role she is asked to and do whatever she can to help her team win. How can you not be grateful this kid is on our team. I personally want to see her on the floor as much as possible because imo she makes her team better and I love to watch her play the game.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I always enjoy Nika's interviews, nothing is forced, very genuine, often a bit of levity and always enjoyable to see her interact with the interviewer. ,,,,, From all that she has said her goal for this season is to play what ever role she is asked to and do whatever she can to help her team win. How can you not be grateful this kid is on our team. I personally want to see her on the floor as much as possible because imo she makes her team better and I love to watch her play the game.
wow ... great expectations -- and i ain't gonna dispute any of it.

i just remember all the aggressively negative crap we heard about her on the BY less than a year ago (there's still a bit now, but there is about paige too, so ... what can you expect?)

it's great to see such glowing commentary as yours now. kudos

personally, preseason '20 i was very 'show me' concerning nika, i was very leery about her potential to contribute, but i knew enough to open my eyes and soon appreciated what she does bring, along with her many freshman adjustments and early shooting futilities

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Can you 100% prove that the player did it on purpose, unless you can, she injured herself, even if she landed on another person's foot. Are you going to go and say that the Seton Hall player did the same when Nika came down on her foot in the Quarterfinals game?
Can you prove 100% Nika did it on purpose? Unless you can, she didn't injure herself.

(sometimes the attempts at arguments on here are just silly)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nika brings so much more to the table than scoring. We have so much fire power in the other four players that we only need enough scoring from her to keep the defense honest. Baylor seemed to do alright with DiDi Richards, and look what happened when she was injured during the regional game. We need at least one good defensive player to guard their best and Nika is the one who can do it. I think we can manage with four great shooters on the floor.

Reaction Score
Nika is extraordinarily valuable because, in addition to being a skilled player, she brings a rare collection of attributes that cannot be taught, even by Geno that include pace, attitude, energy, aggressiveness, and spirit. I think she is our most gear-shifting TEAM oriented player, who, coming off the bench, will be that spark that ignites or rejuvenates the team whenever she’s called on.

Reaction Score
Nika brings everything she has to the floor during a game....we all love her aggressive, emotional attitude. I don't buy the idea that she will be a great shooter, it is just not a big part of her game, but on this team it isn't really needed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom