Nika Muhl will press UCONN guards very hard for minutes | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl will press UCONN guards very hard for minutes

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The more Nika Muhl videos I watch; the more I am convinced she will be really hard to keep off the court. I think like Ania she is mature. She is 19 and will be 20 in April, 2021. She has experienced a level of basketball above USA high school and is schooled in fundamentals. Everything I read points to a mentally tough kid. Just what a UCONN frosh needs regarding Geno's practices. Like Ania her Eurobaskball experience will allow her to pick up the UCONN way quicker than the other newbies. A big plus for her is her defense. Can she start ahead of Paige ... maybe. More than likely by February they will both be on the court together but not as starters unless there are injuries (Paige as Combo and Nika as PG - Diana and Sue redux). I am really impressed that she was one of 34 girls invited to the "Next Generation Showcase" event held in conjunction with the 2019 Women's Final Four. She and Paige scrimmaged against each other. Can't find any video. She was one of a few international players invited. Someone thought highly of her potential. I hope UCONN women's basketball 2020-21 season happens. So much potential! Usually I think one freshman will stand out to a reasonable level but no more than one. Now I see easily three (Paige, Nika, Aaliyah). I have not watched many of Mir's videos but the ones I did watched showed someone who appears to really like the challenge of defending. Best way as a frosh to get playing time. Her offense is not shabby. Even Paith by Ferbruary might be able spell Olivia and Aaliyah in the post not unlike Natalie Butler. Oh well no sense whining about losing a basketball season when people are dying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The more Nika Muhl videos I watch; the more I am convinced she will be really hard to keep off the court. I think like Ania she is mature. She is 19 and will be 20 in April, 2021. She has experienced a level of basketball above USA high school and is schooled in fundamentals. Everything I read points to a mentally tough kid. Just what a UCONN frosh needs regarding Geno's practices. Like Ania her Eurobaskball experience will allow her to pick up the UCONN way quicker than the other newbies. A big plus for her is her defense. Can she start ahead of Paige ... maybe. More than likely by February they will both be on the court together (Paige as Combo and Nika as PG - Diane and Sue redux). I am really impressed that she was one of 34 girls invited to the "Next Generation Showcase" event held in conjunction with the 2019 Women's Final Four. She and Paige scrimmaged against each other. Can't find any video. She was one of a few international players invited. Someone thought highly of her potential. I hope UCONN women's basketball 2020-21 season happens. So much potential! Usually I think one freshman will stand out to a reasonable level but no more than one. Now I see easily three (Paige, Nika, Aaliyah). I have not watched many of Mir's videos but the ones I did watched showed someone who appears to really like the challenge of defending. Best way as a frosh to get playing time. Her offense is not shabby. Even Paith by Ferbruary might be able spell Olivia and Aaliyah in the post not unlike Natalie Butler. Oh well no sense whining about losing a basketball season when people are dying.

maybe but only if she proves she has an effective outside shot............that seems to be her only weakness...........

Reaction Score
She looks very serious ....

1590285183361.png

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika was on the 5-player all-star and all-defensive teams in her pro league. I think she’s led the league in assists three years running. I don’t care if she starts, but she’ll definitely get her minutes.

I think it’ll be amazing having a pass-first point guard and a combo guard. It’ll give opposing defenses fits.

Reaction Score
She's scrappy & full of energy...but that can easily mean "out of control" against tougher competition & in Geno's system. I can see her bring energy minutes off the bench, by pressing and pushing the play.

Reaction Score
All 5 freshmen play with high energy. Hope it carries over and pretty sure it will. And a few seem to take playing defense seriously. Rather see them sitting with fouls than sitting for lack of contribution.

Reaction Score
I mean that is the overall goal for players, make it so the coach (coaching staff) look like idiots for keeping you on the bench & pushing other players to get better! That is how teams get better and have that depth. I have never understood why players don't want to have a strong 2nd unit. That makes the team that much more dangerous and you, as a player, have that mindset of, "Oh I am going to push hard to take your spot!" I hope that this young lady does have that dawg mindset. It can only make the program that more better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The more Nika Muhl videos I watch; the more I am convinced she will be really hard to keep off the court. I think like Ania she is mature. She is 19 and will be 20 in April, 2021. She has experienced a level of basketball above USA high school and is schooled in fundamentals. Everything I read points to a mentally tough kid. Just what a UCONN frosh needs regarding Geno's practices. Like Ania her Eurobaskball experience will allow her to pick up the UCONN way quicker than the other newbies. A big plus for her is her defense. Can she start ahead of Paige ... maybe. More than likely by February they will both be on the court together but not as starters unless there are injuries (Paige as Combo and Nika as PG - Diana and Sue redux). I am really impressed that she was one of 34 girls invited to the "Next Generation Showcase" event held in conjunction with the 2019 Women's Final Four. She and Paige scrimmaged against each other. Can't find any video. She was one of a few international players invited. Someone thought highly of her potential. I hope UCONN women's basketball 2020-21 season happens. So much potential! Usually I think one freshman will stand out to a reasonable level but no more than one. Now I see easily three (Paige, Nika, Aaliyah). I have not watched many of Mir's videos but the ones I did watched showed someone who appears to really like the challenge of defending. Best way as a frosh to get playing time. Her offense is not shabby. Even Paith by Ferbruary might be able spell Olivia and Aaliyah in the post not unlike Natalie Butler. Oh well no sense whining about losing a basketball season when people are dying.
Not being argumentative or even disagreeing yet, just hoping that you will share. What hat have you been reading that convinces you of Nika's "mental toughness" and her ability "to pick up the UCONN way quicker than the other newbies"?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From the videos I have seen her form is very good, including on threes. Since they are highlight reels it is hard to draw any conclusions from them. She said last spring that she had to work on her shooting. Hard not to like. Hard not to root for her. I suspect we are going to be more than happy with Nika.

Reaction Score
There are lots of possible combinations, but one that I think would be fun to watch would have Nika, Paige, Anna, Griffin and either Edwards or Mir. Three great passers who would love to get out and go, teamed with a couple of athletes that can run the floor, but be good enough rebounders to pull it off. I would also like a pressing defensive unit with Nika, Mir, Griff, Edwards and Olivia.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
With 5 returning players, 3 who were starters, any combination on the floor is possible.

Geno has been an innovator in the women's game. Teams like ND, SC and others have studied and copied to a great degree Geno's offense and defense. With 5 returnees and five frosh, Geno may just be working up some new wrinkles that others haven't seen.

So, could Nika push for some serious minutes - absolutely. I hope all 5 frosh push hard for major minutes. Could be very exciting to see what the season brings.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Not being argumentative or even disagreeing yet, just hoping that you will share. What hat have you been reading that convinces you of Nika's "mental toughness" and her ability "to pick up the UCONN way quicker than the other newbies"?
Only if first you share what you read or what stats you viewed that caused your concern about Muhl's shot making from outside (whatever that means - 3pt? - intermediate? - any jump shot). Opinion is irrelevant. Geno watched her videos and possibly her scrimmaging in Tampa. He never once expressed concern for her shot. Surely you are not professing to be a better evaluator of basketball talent than Geno or CD. ;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
She's scrappy & full of energy...but that can easily mean "out of control" against tougher competition & in Geno's system. I can see her bring energy minutes off the bench, by pressing and pushing the play.
Love that our guards, who ever starters are, will have a high energy, great defender to play against in practice. Suspect the scrimmages will be harder than most games.

Reaction Score
Only if first you share what you read or what stats you viewed that caused your concern about Muhl's shot making from outside (whatever that means - 3pt? - intermediate? - any jump shot). Opinion is irrelevant. Geno watched her videos and possibly her scrimmaging in Tampa. He never once expressed concern for her shot. Surely you are not professing to be a better evaluator of basketball talent than Geno or CD. ;):rolleyes:
I've never heard Auriemma publicly express concerns about any incoming freshmen before he gets them on the practice floor. OTOH, what he thinks and may say to the other coaches is a different matter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

You got NOTHING! That's what I thought. Nothing to make you believe that Nika was mentally tougher than any other UCONN recruits or that she would pick up the UCONN offense faster that your average UCONN recruits. You therefore fall back on Geno recruited her so therefore no concerns.

The concerns regarding Nika shooting originated (not by me) in this thread which was started to track her club play. I have not been nearly as concerned as some in fact I have commented that Megan Walker generated similar concerns before she arrived at UCONN and she turned out just fine as a shooter. Conversely much more heralded UCONN shooters like Courtney Ekmark and Lexi Gordon did not pan out.
The 2019 Basketball Without Borders Camp in which Nika and was named to the All_star team was in Charolette not Tampa. The Camp is NBA/USA Basketball sponsored and occurred during the NCAA season, therefore Geno (or any NCAA Coach) could not have been attendance. Your confusion is understandable though, UCONN played at UCF during the time of this camp so you probably though Geno would just skip right over to Tampa and watch Nika play.
2019 Basketball Without Borders Camp

I have not seen or read anything that would indicate that Nika is mentally tougher than any of the players coming in with her or prior to her. I have not seen or read anything that would lead me to believe that Nika will grasp the offense quicker that any past UCONN PG say Crystal Dangerfield and definitely not faster than Kia Nurse grasped it or Paige who has been studying it since she was in 8th grade. What I have seen from Nika & like very much is defensive perimeter activity. That alone will get her some minutes on the floor.
;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I recall, besides improving her 3pt shooting efficiency, there was concern about TO's. That points to a high risk high reward player which is fine as it stands but it is something she will have to improve if she is going to get substantial minutes.

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m just not seeing her as a starter, and if UConn can land Fudd it could be even harder for Nika to get minutes.
Even for next season UCONN has not had 3 guards (Evina, Paige, Christyn) this strong since Mo Jeff, Kia Nurse and Saniya Chong. Hopefully everyone remembers that Sadie Edwards couldn't crack that rotation, Brianna Banks tapped out, Courtney Ekmark couldn't crack that rotation, and Gabby Williams smartly opted o play in the post. Evina's health and CW's sophomore funk offer some hopes for minutes for Nika getting minutes-then there is Anna whose best asset is as a facilitator who is also going to need minutes and touches.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Any player who wants it will play for UConn. Play hard, play defense, pass when there's a better shot and give it your all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom