Nika Muhl rated at 90 on ESPN... | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl rated at 90 on ESPN...

Reaction Score
My question is who/what decides the player rankings on HoopGurlz ???

Reaction Score
That was basically just Olson adding Muhl to his database. I wouldn’t be surprised if when the rankings get refreshed, she breaks the top-60. Speaking of those, the time should be soon!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nika was invited to her national team's try-out camp at 17. Not to worry. She was in Tampa to play in a future NCAA/WNBA stars event, the distaff program (can you still say distaff?) to the men's started by the NBA 2 years ago to attract the best from around the world.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
That was basically just Olson adding Muhl to his database. I wouldn’t be surprised if when the rankings get refreshed, she breaks the top-60. Speaking of those, the time should be soon!

I also think that it's worth noting that rankings of international players can often be way off. Oregon's Maite Cazorla, who was the 23rd pick in this year's WNBA draft, was, I believe, ranked 100 in 2015 (also with a score of 90). So I wouldn't worry a bit about what Hoopgurlz says.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I also think that it's worth noting that rankings of international players can often be way off.

ESPN is often pretty late to rank non-Americans. Nurse wasn't given a ranking there until around the time she gave her verbal at the start of her senior year. They've yet to rank 2020 Aaliyah Edwards out of Canada yet either and in my humble opinion she's easily a top-10 player.

Muhl might never get a high rating there because it's possible Olsen won't get to see her play again.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The only rating that matters is the one from the short Italian guy....

Danny+DeVito+National+Italian+American+Foundation+GRDIjt7wFeWl.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If I had to guess at this time, based on what I've read and seen of her, I'd say she's easily in the top 25 if she were to be slotted into the American players rankings. We will know more as time goes on and she plays on her international team against American competition.

Many of us debated Kia Nurse. Most of us felt she was a top 10 kid if on the American list. I don't get the sense at this time that Muhl is as good or has as much potential BUT... she's young and hasn't been seen much so I could be off...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it was USF that was recruiting her and not FSU. I know Jose visited her, but I didn't see anything about Coach Semrau.
Thanks. Got my letters mixed up. I did mean USF.

Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread and figured it would be appropriate here as well:
A few int’l players and the rankings:

#4 - Cecilia Zandalassini - Pro
#5 - Angela Salvadores - Duke
#51 - Chen Yue - California
#75 - Danielle Garven - Minnesota
#95 - Katija Laska - South Florida

#32 - Dorottya Nagy - South Florida
#38 - Aislinn Konig - NC State
#59 - Eternati Willock - Kansas State
#86 - Anie-Pier Samson - Duquesne
#92 - Morgan Yaeger - Oregon
#95 - Enna Pehadzic - South Florida

#15 - Chantel Horvat - UCLA
#22 - Digna Strautmane - Syracuse
#27 - Maeva Djaldi Tabdi - Syracuse
#35 - Julia Reisigerova - Pro
#36 - Satou Sabally - Oregon
#47 - Hailey Brown - Michigan
#49 - Louise Forsyth - Gonzaga
#77 - Alba Prieto - South Florida
#93 - Sylvia Serrat - South Florida

#11 - Kadiatou Sissoko - Syracuse
#65 - Taya Hanson - Arizona State

I missed a few I’m sure, please reply if you catch anything. So far, 2019 has not been a big year for internationals. Laeticia Amihere is the exception at #10.
You get the sense of international rankings being quite inconsistent with what they actually bring to the court, but I’m sure it isn’t easy ranking them. Pretty unpredictable what the player’s ranking will translate to upon their arrival.

Reaction Score
Clarify:
It is not "ESPN." They are getting the rankings from Dan Olson.

I think it's unfair to say their rankings are "rubbish." You can only rate players you see, and preferably see a bunch of times, and it surely is hard to see non US players.

Reaction Score
Clarify:
It is not "ESPN." They are getting the rankings from Dan Olson.

I think it's unfair to say their rankings are "rubbish." You can only rate players you see, and preferably see a bunch of times, and it surely is hard to see non US players.
Ignore Hoopgurlz on international prospects. Most of their coverage is very late and reactive. They rarely observe the players live. In 2017 Satou Sabally was ranked 36th in the class and behind several other international prospects. Now she is considered by many to be one of the top few sophomores in college basketball and a likely very high draft choice in 2021.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Nika was invited to her national team's try-out camp at 17. Not to worry. She was in Tampa to play in a future NCAA/WNBA stars event, the distaff program (can you still say distaff?) to the men's started by the NBA 2 years ago to attract the best from around the world.
Distaff? You are spinning quite a yarn there ,Rocky. ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ESPN is rubbish at international recruits - they don't even try to rate most of them and instead just give just about a of them all 90. For instance: Alanna Smith was a 90 her year. She just finished an all-American season as a top ten wnba draft pick. For y'all's sake, I hope Muhl is the same kind of "90" recruit as Smith was for us...
Hoopgurlz has a very limited staff doing this unlike Prospect Nation or some others. HG benefits by being linked to super media ESPN so we tend to give more credence to it than we probably should. Kitja Laska was #95 in the 2015 class and was a star right away so yeah, HG pretty much missed the boat.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I like.
Gee, do we know anyone else associated with UCONN that was invited to her country's national team's try-out camp at 17. Oh, did she turn out to be quite the player? :)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz has a very limited staff doing this unlike Prospect Nation or some others. HG benefits by being linked to super media ESPN so we tend to give more credence to it than we probably should. Kitja Laska was #95 in the 2015 class and was a star right away so yeah, HG pretty much missed the boat.

What recruiting services cover international players and what are their evaluations of Nika Muhl?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom