Nika, Molly, and Mel Thomas | The Boneyard

Nika, Molly, and Mel Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm sure that some of you will say that I should have used the "Nika X-Factor" thread for these comments, but I consider that thread to have become a Superfund site that should be buried under cement for at least a century.

One interesting question in that thread was how Nika compares to Molly Bent. Unlike most of you, I actually think that Molly was a better athlete than Nika, with more foot speed and (after her freshman year) a better jump shot. But I agree that they are comparable in many ways. Molly's limitations (IMHO) were "above the shoulders" -- she never calmed down enough to play effectively. She tried to make up for it with her work ethic, but after a while that is counterproductive, and it was for her.

May I suggest another comparison -- Mel Thomas? She played at UConn from 2004-05 to 2007-08 but missed the last part of her senior season because of an ACL. It was a fallow time for UConn recruiting, particularly in the back court. Geno did get one great guard recruit in Renee Montgomery, who arrived in 2005 during Mel's sophomore season and immediately became the best guard on the team and the starting point guard. But the other guard options during Mel's tenure did not stir much excitement or many great memories: Keisha Swanier (in Mel's class and physically far more talented than Mel), Ashley Valley (a senior when Mel was a freshman, and actually quite competent), and Lorin Dixon are the ones I remember. Nicole Wolff might have been good (she graduated in 2006) but was injured physically for two years and in her confidence after that.

So, against that undistinguished competition (apart from Renee), Mel established herself as the second guard on the team and became a starter as a sophomore, and got a ton of minutes. She was far from a great athlete (slower than Nika, far slower than Molly, and smaller than either of them). Her high school reputation was as a 3-point shooter, but she had problems hitting the 3 as a freshman. In later years, she solved that problem, and also learned to play intelligently at both ends of the floor and to be an effective perimeter defender despite her quickness deficit.

Here is my question: If Mel had been in Molly's class or in Nika's class, with the roster competition that they faced, would she have done any better than they did or are doing? I don't think so. I doubt if she would have played any more minutes. I suspect that Boneyard commentators would make the same comments about her play as a freshman that they are now making about Nika.

And here is the clincher: In the game against Tennessee in Mel's freshman year, Mel didn't play a single minute. Geno said that she was "telling him in her own way" that she was not ready for such a high-pressure game. Needless to say, she didn't agree with that decision, but I think she played in every big game after that for the rest of her career, and started most of them.

If injuries put UConn and Geno in a position similar to what he dealt with in Mel's time, I think he may be able to get similar productivity from Nika as he got from Mel. They are very similar players.

Reaction Score
I think everyone is under estimating what Nika will bring for UConn. Nika is better than Molly. She has to learn how to use her speed/quickness. She tends to go one speed like another frosh did before becoming a 2 time AA Moriah. I didn't say Nika will be AA but once she learns to harness it like Mo did. She will be a solid backup there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think everyone is under estimating what Nika will bring for UConn. Nika is better than Molly. She has to learn how to use her speed/quickness. She tends to go one speed like another frosh did before becoming a 2 time AA Moriah. I didn't say Nika will be AA but once she learns to harness it like Mo did. She will be a solid backup there.
:eek: So you didn’t like the Mel Thomas or Molly Bent comparison so you came up with MoJeff?
Sorry but I cannot co-sign that.

Reaction Score
Molly was a better defender and shooter than what Nika has demonstrated thus far (small sample size). Also, Nika has not shown to be quick. She was getting beat off the dribble by relatively slow players. Hopefully she’ll improve and be able to get on the court and UConn a good 4-6 minutes a game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I totally do not understand the rush to draw comparisons with anyone for Muhl. For crying out loud. She’s a freshman. She is in a new country. She injured her ankle and that limited her practice time. COVID messed up,pre season and the season. Geez, Molly Bent had a few decent moments as a senior with no pressure to perform other than usually in garbage time. Nice person. Might have done ok at a lower level. She might be generally more athletic than Muhl, but she is nowhere near as good a basketball player. Mel Thomas was basically a shooter and a hustle defender. Nika might never be more than a back up, but time will tell. This year so far only shows that she’s a young player who might fill just the role they need. Obviously she is not Paige, but how many freshmen are?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I totally do not understand the rush to draw comparisons with anyone for Muhl. For crying out loud. She’s a freshman. She is in a new country. She injured her ankle and that limited her practice time. COVID messed up,pre season and the season. Geez, Molly Bent had a few decent moments as a senior with no pressure to perform other than usually in garbage time. Nice person. Might have done ok at a lower level. She might be generally more athletic than Muhl, but she is nowhere near as good a basketball player. Mel Thomas was basically a shooter and a hustle defender. Nika might never be more than a back up, but time will tell. This year so far only shows that she’s a young player who might fill just the role they need. Obviously she is not Paige, but how many freshmen are?
:eek: For someone that doesn't understand the need to compare you sure did a good job of comparing Nika to Molly in this post. :D

Reaction Score
I'm sure that some of you will say that I should have used the "Nika X-Factor" thread for these comments, but I consider that thread to have become a Superfund site that should be buried under cement for at least a century.

One interesting question in that thread was how Nika compares to Molly Bent. Unlike most of you, I actually think that Molly was a better athlete than Nika, with more foot speed and (after her freshman year) a better jump shot. But I agree that they are comparable in many ways. Molly's limitations (IMHO) were "above the shoulders" -- she never calmed down enough to play effectively. She tried to make up for it with her work ethic, but after a while that is counterproductive, and it was for her.

May I suggest another comparison -- Mel Thomas? She played at UConn from 2004-05 to 2007-08 but missed the last part of her senior season because of an ACL. It was a fallow time for UConn recruiting, particularly in the back court. Geno did get one great guard recruit in Renee Montgomery, who arrived in 2005 during Mel's sophomore season and immediately became the best guard on the team and the starting point guard. But the other guard options during Mel's tenure did not stir much excitement or many great memories: Keisha Swanier (in Mel's class and physically far more talented than Mel), Ashley Valley (a senior when Mel was a freshman, and actually quite competent), and Lorin Dixon are the ones I remember. Nicole Wolff might have been good (she graduated in 2006) but was injured physically for two years and in her confidence after that.

So, against that undistinguished competition (apart from Renee), Mel established herself as the second guard on the team and became a starter as a sophomore, and got a ton of minutes. She was far from a great athlete (slower than Nika, far slower than Molly, and smaller than either of them). Her high school reputation was as a 3-point shooter, but she had problems hitting the 3 as a freshman. In later years, she solved that problem, and also learned to play intelligently at both ends of the floor and to be an effective perimeter defender despite her quickness deficit.

Here is my question: If Mel had been in Molly's class or in Nika's class, with the roster competition that they faced, would she have done any better than they did or are doing? I don't think so. I doubt if she would have played any more minutes. I suspect that Boneyard commentators would make the same comments about her play as a freshman that they are now making about Nika.

And here is the clincher: In the game against Tennessee in Mel's freshman year, Mel didn't play a single minute. Geno said that she was "telling him in her own way" that she was not ready for such a high-pressure game. Needless to say, she didn't agree with that decision, but I think she played in every big game after that for the rest of her career, and started most of them.

If injuries put UConn and Geno in a position similar to what he dealt with in Mel's time, I think he may be able to get similar productivity from Nika as he got from Mel. They are very similar players.
I could be wrong but I would have to say that Mel was way better than anything we’ve seen from Nika. Also, I would think that Tennessee then was far superior to today’s version.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
:eek: For someone that doesn't understand the need to compare you sure did a good job of comparing Nika to Molly in this post. :D
Yep. The point, obviously is there is no way to compare. But, if there is a need to compare just to fill space, Molly is probably the least likely suspect.

Reaction Score
Molly was a better defender and shooter than what Nika has demonstrated thus far (small sample size). Also, Nika has not shown to be quick. She was getting beat off the dribble by relatively slow players. Hopefully she’ll improve and be able to get on the court and UConn a good 4-6 minutes a game.
Molly in no way shape or form would have gotten 35 minutes in the 10th game of her freshmen year. I could point out the other 4 starters missed plays on defense yesterday too. If Geno didn't feel comfortable with her Evina or Christyn would have played the point yesterday with Nika playing 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to Molly, there should be no comparison. Nika has a much better skillset in their Freshman years. Nika is playing too cautious right now, still trying to get a feel for Geno's system, the speed of the college game, the refs, etc. She could easily blow by her defender & penetrate & dish right now if she had to, but she's not comfortable doing that yet. It will come with experience & confidence.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there, not looking to start a big discussion because as I agree with what many have said, IMO its too early to access what Nika can/will do for this team or what level of wcbb player she will ultimately be. I see some similarities between Nika and Saniya Chong at the start of their freshman campaigns. Both came in knowing that they were behind talented players (remember Nika signed after Paige). They both had other options and could have played significantly greater roles if they chose a different program. Each expressed the desire to be part of UCONN's program - made their decisions based on wanting to be part of that team rather than to find a program where they would shine individually. Both came in with a great deal of skill/talent ( Saniya, I believe still holds NYS scoring title, Nika well respected in Europe not to mention Popovich threw in his two cents about what he saw in her) but were not high in rankings. From what I have seen thus far, as with Sanyia, the biggest barrier is confidence and desire to be elite ( want to contribute but not looking to be a/the star of the program). Each have shown a desire to contribute, more out of wanting to be a piece of a whole rather than to personally shine. Geno rode/rides both on their defense and lack of willingness to be aggressive on offense. These players are by no means the same but I think there are key similarities in what they brought/can bring to the program and the type of teammates they are. Geno saw something in both players and in my opinion believes/believed that each have/had a high bar they can/could reach. I believe Saniya showed us a lot of what she could of been during her senior year but rose her game for her team more than to prove herself - she was a reluctant leader. With a different mindset I believe she could have had a greater impact at UCONN throughout her time there and had a very successful bball career beyond UCONN. I am hoping that Nika finds that personal drive and confidence and leaves UCONN at the potential that Geno saw in her when bringing her in. I would guess that Geno feels with some regret that that didn't happen basketball wise with Saniya. His program has always been based on taking his players to their highest potential and I hope that that happens in Nika's case.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We say no comparisons , and then we compare, lol. The statements that Nika has more skills, will be better than anyone have no basis in fact. ( but still early)
Mollys Freshman year, 9 min per game, 33% shooting, 30% from 3, 35 A, 20 TO, 1.2 reb per game
Nika Freshman 16 min,14% shooting , 21% from 3, 10 A, 15 TO, .8 reb per game

The more minutes are important because Nika has had more time to get in a flow than Molly, and Nika has not faced a top ten team as Molly did.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
i love Molly and always stayed with the games to get a chance to see if she had improved. Before Nika is done you will love her. Her fire and drive will be an example to many players in the future.

What I see know is a combination of a rushed need to play great combined with the insecurity needing to prove herself on every play. She will learn to exhale and enjoy the game. She will earn the rings that are coming her way.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Molly in no way shape or form would have gotten 35 minutes in the 10th game of her freshmen year. I could point out the other 4 starters missed plays on defense yesterday too. If Geno didn't feel comfortable with her Evina or Christyn would have played the point yesterday with Nika playing 10 minutes.
Molly's 10th game of the season in her freshman year was against 12th ranked tOSU. Molly played 2 minutes.
Nika 9th game of her freshman season was against 25th ranked TN. Nika played 0 minutes.

Reaction Score
Molly's 10th game of the season in her freshman year was against 12th ranked tOSU. Molly played 2 minutes.
Nika 9th game of her freshman season was against 25th ranked TN. Nika played 0 minutes.

I look at the comparison of these two players in a little different light in that both are highly successful basketball players since only 1.3% of high school players play D-1 basketball. One was definitely not a star player, and, at this stage, the other wouldn’t appear to be destined to fit that category either. The true value of a player is whether the squad would be weaker without them in whatever the role the staff chooses to use them, and my guess, with both players, would be a definitive yes. You never have too many squad members who bring energy to the team, are unselfish, and put the team first. I enjoyed, and enjoy watching both players compete at the highest collegiate level, and at the most scrutinized program in the country, irregardless of their physical and statistical weaknesses. Just another guess, but I’d bet dollars to doughnuts both have the most important “statistic” that a player can have- the respect of their teammates. JMO

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Boneyard should have an Archivist to compile lists. Lists of those who have decreed Nika will not make it at UConn and Paige Bueckers won't start her freshman year. Those kinds of lists. Integral to the Archivist will be the Crow tender who will tend a large murder of crows. At suitable times, when the errors of those on a list are plain, there will be a Boneyard picnic and one dish, Crow, will be reserved for the listees.

Reaction Score
There is no comparison between Molly and Nika.

Further evidence of this is that Molly never played any or many meaningful minutes her entire career but yet Nika already has. GA has mentioned Nika a few times as well and her never really said much about Molly as far as potentially playing much or having any impact.

Nika is by far the better passer and has shown this already. Nika is by far the better ball handler in open court and has shown this. Contrary to popular belief by some, Nika has improved her defense already this season while only playing in 3 games post injury. She is a decent defender already and she is rapidly adjusting to the increase in guard quickness here as opposed to overseas and this was evident in the second half of the last game. She is a better defender than Molly ever was.

No offense to Molly but unfortunately when you make these types of comparisons, somebody is going to come out worst for wear.

Let's try to enjoy the maturation of Nika and the rest of the freshman. I expect all of them to be solid to very good role players with PB being the lone superstar and that is ok. AE maybe be more than a very good role player but I doubt it will be this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Boneyard should have an Archivist to compile lists. Lists of those who have decreed Nika will not make it at UConn and Paige Bueckers won't start her freshman year. Those kinds of lists. Integral to the Archivist will be the Crow tender who will tend a large murder of crows. At suitable times, when the errors of those on a list are plain, there will be a Boneyard picnic and one dish, Crow, will be reserved for the listees.
BY doesn't need an archivist-you are welcome. The list of potential crow eaters is long and undistinguished and dates back many years. The compiled list dates back to a set of prediction that freshman Saniya Chong would beat out Moriah Jefferson for the starting PG spot. For the record I've already eaten my shares of crow and in this particular case (Nika) would be happy to do so again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is no comparison between Molly and Nika.

Further evidence of this is that Molly never played any or many meaningful minutes her entire career but yet Nika already has. GA has mentioned Nika a few times as well and her never really said much about Molly as far as potentially playing much or having any impact.

Nika is by far the better passer and has shown this already. Nika is by far the better ball handler in open court and has shown this. Contrary to popular belief by some, Nika has improved her defense already this season while only playing in 3 games post injury. She is a decent defender already and she is rapidly adjusting to the increase in guard quickness here as opposed to overseas and this was evident in the second half of the last game. She is a better defender than Molly ever was.

No offense to Molly but unfortunately when you make these types of comparisons, somebody is going to come out worst for wear.

Let's try to enjoy the maturation of Nika and the rest of the freshman. I expect all of them to be solid to very good role players with PB being the lone superstar and that is ok. AE maybe be more than a very good role player but I doubt it will be this year.
Are these two statements ironic or an oxymoron -I always get confused.

" There is no comparison between Molly and Nika."
" Further evidence of this is that Molly never playe
d...."

You information is also not correct. Molly bent had to step in and start for Crystal Dangerfield against Seton Hall the same way that Nika had to step in and start for an injured Paige and Anna.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul