Nika article from the JI | The Boneyard

Nika article from the JI

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Nice one! Thanks. I'm a big Nika fan from almost day one. This is the season I've been fretting over for her... could she drown in the talent pool UConn has now. It appears Nika is diving into the deep end and is not intimidated or worried AT ALL. How can you not root for this kid?

Reaction Score
She likes the dairy bar! My kinda kid. :cool:

Not sure how it fits in with her dietary fan love, but she also apparently likes mayonnaise on everything. :D Probably not the dairy bar stuff, though.

What I love about her is that she is the type of woman that proudly shows off a black eye, and probably says to an opponent on the court, "Hey, see this? Want one?"

I have huge admiration and respect for Nika. Personality wise, she's one of my top four.

Reaction Score
In an earlier interview, Nika spoke about being on campus this season was like being a freshman again in that she really didn't know where anything other than their practice facility, Gampel, her residence - and Starbucks was! I could relate, during the late 70's and early 80's as a MFA student in technical theatre I only spent time in Jorgensen and the Fine Arts building. I knew the basement floor of Arjona as well as my wife shared an office there with the other German grad assistants. I did of course also frequent Sugar Shack (the forerunner of DD and Starbucks). Over the past number of years, while visiting campus for games at Gampel both my wife and I found the campus almost unrecognizable from the several years when we called it home. One thing remained constant from that time through the present, the beloved Dairy Bar (I can taste the whipped cream cheese as I write this).

I absolutely love Nika, my eyes are on her whenever she is on the court, watching the subtle things she does - the intensity in her eyes and slight tremor in her hands as she hounds her prey on defense, her movement, setting picks, screaming and pointing out directions, boxing out for herself or teammates to get a rebound and her celebration after every one of her team's scores (whether or not she was directly involved). She is a joy to watch and a great interview but most significantly a great teammate. She certainly isn't the most gifted player on this loaded roster but she is a very impactful presence and will always be over the next few years. You gotta love this kid and be grateful that she is part of our beloved Huskies!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am in on all things "Nika" and know that her "heart and grit" has won over even the most cynical of our fan base who were not fond of her after her early season struggles. My wife and daughter still want to know how she gets her hair so shiny and the ponytail to stay in perfect form during the games!

I also feel like one of the schitcks that she's never committed a foul and American players are soft was missing from this article. I will be looking for her to be a bit more aggressive on the offensive end to drive/dish or to take the outside shot. Kick butt Nika, kick butt!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I knew the basement floor of Arjona as well as my wife
Tom Cruise What GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104