Night Cap Games | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Night Cap Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not Immaculatta, but kind of in the same ballpark as far as the geographical connection. Assuming you have Coach Auriemma's books, the answer can be found just before the epilogue in Geno: In Pursuit of Perfection. A number of us here are likely to be surprised.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Thank you for publishing this expose. It helps again to remind us of all the teams that have been totally exposed over the years, like UConn 1999, Stanford 1999, Miami 2011+2012, FSU 2011+2009, Texas A&M 2010, West Virginia 2010, Ohio State 2010, North Carolina 2009, Auburn 2009, and on and on and on. Mid major Delaware as you wisely observe has not played a big power team since December (um, isn't that usually the definition of a low mid major like Delaware in the CAA?), but they can keep company with a lot of power teams that had high hopes going into the tourney but just exposed themselves as bad teams that their fans should be ashamed of. But as Dylan astutely observed, "Everybody must get exposed."

What do you want Delaware to do for you VG to make up for their pretensions as the little team that tried to compete with the major conference teams? Did you get a bad egg from Delaware once, or is there something else that makes you have such a hate on EDD's team. You say:

• Teams know they can stop EDD by playing her "physical," the usual tired euphemism for beating up the star player on a team, same as the treatment Maya and DT often got. Pound her, give her back spasms. Right we know that can work very well if allowed, and please tell PSU that so they can go clothesline Tiff. UConn fans are well aware of the thug tactics and don't really like to be reminded of their effectiveness in uncontrolled situations.
  • Again we know that sometimes players have bad games, but many of the Blue Hens players had some very good games coming into the tourney, and maybe I missed your fond congrats to them when they beat tourney teams such as Princeton, PSU, St. Bonaventure, and Nova before hitting the CAA schedule. But you being who you are, throw out the ineffective performance as the example for the whole season and say that proves your point that the team was a fraud. Beautiful logic, as always. Back in 2001, ND "knew" they could leave DT alone to do nothing and exposed her for ever. And that laughingstock men's Kentucky team proved once and for all that the 9th place Big East team can take out the top SEC team every time. This is indeed my brain on crack.
  • Traveling long distances should never have any effect on any team. I totally agree, and the next time some college student from a high-seed complains about the rigors of flying all over the country to play games, I'll do my ViGorous best to slap her silly. Every team on the East Coast was dying to fly out to Little Rock with a legion of fans instead of being stuck closer to home like Chapel Hill. You don't see UConn complaining about the brutal trips to Bridgeport and Kingston. Traveling is fun, and good teams like UTenn and UConn are always imploring the committee to be sent far away from home, because that's where they play their best. The UConn men's team keeps asking for another tourney game in North Carolina or Texas. Crack turns to chasm.
Wow, as always, just wow. Keep dropping the acid on Delaware, and I assume our two remaining mid-majors.

internet-serious-business.jpg

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Oh for heaven's sake....it was Lady in Orange herself, who told ESPN she would do it "for the good of the game." And she did. And we should thank her, because much history has been made from that moment on.

PS - VG -and you, too, Dobbs - please take a moment and calm yourself. This cannot be good for your blood pressure....but I must say I have enjoyed your exchanges....

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hell
Oh for heaven's sake....it was Lady in Orange herself, who told ESPN she would do it "for the good of the game." And she did. And we should thank her, because much history has been made from that moment on.

PS - VG -and you, too, Dobbs - please take a moment and calm yourself. This cannot be good for your blood pressure....but I must say I have enjoyed your exchanges....
Hell, I've got a 5 mile run through the muck on Sunday morning, so flinging mud and getting the blood pressure up is good prep work. But yeah, time to get on to doing expostulating about PSU and the other games.

Reaction Score
All right Icebear, it was C. Vivian Stringer at Iowa to whom Coach Auriemma requested to participate in a tournament back in 1989 when Rene Portland refused to schedule UConn. Coach Stringer was immediately accomodating. Ironically, UConn was paired with Penn State in that tournament and beat them in overtime, a victory Coach Auriemma savored. However, UConn lost by 32 the following night to Iowa.

I have never believed there was ever more than a competitive feud between Coach Stringer and Coach Auriemma. A couple of years ago, Coach Auriemma had his players stay out on the court after a game at the RAC when Rutgers honored its seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom