Niels | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Niels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... and I'm sure he is getting as many apples as he wants for the next 5 weeks.

Reaction Score
I love Neils, but if anyone thinks he is getting drafted to the NBA they are just too biased to the huskies. Great piece to our national championship team but he would do nothing in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I love Neils but let's be honest he missed a TON of wide open 3's against MSU and UF. He did end up hitting 2 huge shots in the National Championship, but there is no denying he was cold for 2-3 straight games and I haven't seen one person post about that yet
Because there's no point? Good/great shooters have games where they shoot poorly. All you can do is continue to do the other things that help your team win games, which Neils did at an A+ level. And then despite being in a shooting slump, he still hit 2 game changing 3's in the second half of the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

And btw, you should probably stop posting in other threads that Boatright can't shoot 3's, since he shot 38% this year, which is above average. I mean, he only shot 39% from the field overall, so if anything he can't shoot 2's.

Reaction Score
I love Neils, but if anyone thinks he is getting drafted to the NBA they are just too biased to the huskies. Great piece to our national championship team but he would do nothing in the NBA.
Just because you're not drafted doesn't mean you can't play in the NBA. Just ask Kevin Ollie, Jerome Dyson, Jeff Adrien, etc.

Reaction Score
So you're going to argue that Boatright has good range and is a good 3-point shooter? He has a good percentage, not arguing that, but watching every game are you going to say he has good range and shooting is his strength?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Just because you're not drafted doesn't mean you can't play in the NBA. Just ask Kevin Ollie, Jerome Dyson, Jeff Adrien, etc.

That's what I meant. Would he bother with D league or go make real money in Europe? I think he has a lot of strengths that that are not noticed by the scouts and like Ollie would show his worth to teams.

Reaction Score
That's what I meant. Would he bother with D league or go make real money in Europe? I think he has a lot of strengths that that are not noticed by the scouts and like Ollie would show his worth to teams.

can't remember what article I read it in but he said he wanted to give the summer league and the NBA a shot before going over to Europe immediately.

Reaction Score
I love Neils but let's be honest he missed a TON of wide open 3's against MSU and UF. He did end up hitting 2 huge shots in the National Championship, but there is no denying he was cold for 2-3 straight games and I haven't seen one person post about that yet

who cares, he still got some baskets on hook shots and in the paint area, and he also still contributed on defense and on the boards, which is why KO kept him out there on the floor. Its not like he missed the shots and then gave the team nothing else. Not sure why you would post this type of stuff in a thread meant to appreciate everything he gave the program for 4 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So you're goinGiffeyg to argue that Boatright has good range and is a good 3-point shooter? He has a good percentage, not arguing that, but watching every game are you going to say he has good range and shooting is his strength?

What is your point? That Giffey's and Boat's shooting percentage don't matter because you don't think Boat has range and Giff had a 2.5 game slump with his jump shot? We are celebrating a championship and, in this thread, sharing our appreciation of Giffey.
Why are you here?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
can't remember what article I read it in but he said he wanted to give the summer league and the NBA a shot before going over to Europe immediately.

Thanks

pj

Reaction Score
Niels became a great, great player. I never expected him to grow into such a good player when he first joined us. You could tell he would be a good shooter but it wasn't obvious he would be more than that. He became a do-everything guy. He will be the kind of versatile, hard-working, complementary pro coaches love. He's earned himself a great income playing basketball, either here or in Europe. I hope it's here.

Reaction Score
I love Neils but let's be honest he missed a TON of wide open 3's against MSU and UF. . . . there is no denying he was cold for 2-3 straight games and I haven't seen one person post about that yet
Okay - now it's clear on its face that this is a majoroso @$$H0L3 comment. That's indisputable. But I'm going to take it one step further here.

What was your point?

I'm guessing it was this:

1. That the TON of wide open 3s that he missed show that he's not, somehow, icy-veined enough to be in the NBA. Is that right?

Why do a couple of posters on this board have such an obvious dislike of Mr. Giffey?

In one of the earlier games in the tourni - can't remember which one now, the kid hit a late 3 from the left corner that absolutely, positively stopped the bleeding and catapulted us into a position to win. The enemy had closed the gap to about 3 or 4 at that point, and we surged for the win thereafter.

In the final game, against the other hottest team in the tourni, AFTER missing his first shot, the kid drained not ONE, but TWO critical 3s that padded our lead and kept the childcats at arms length so we could power through to the win.

But, notwithstanding his wicked 50% shooting for the year from 3 and his essential and critical shots in winning two games in our final run,

you, cloudy thought man, point to the two or three games that he was cold from 3 and conclude that those exceptions - not the rule shown in his killer plays in the finals - are what best exemplifies him as a player.

I literally would like to smack you.

Reaction Score
I will miss Niels as well. And I don't know why some people think he couldn't play in the NBA. His talents combined with the experience he has playing here and in Germany will give him a chance to make an NBA roster.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Loved him throughout his time here and like many I wondered why he didn't see more time or take more shots but there's no denying that Giffey played whatever role was needed in order to win.

As big as his 3s were, his toughness and rebounding in the paint vs bigger guys is what I'll likely remember the most.

Reaction Score
Okay - now it's clear on its face that this is a majoroso @ H0L3 comment. That's indisputable. But I'm going to take it one step further here.

What was your point?

I'm guessing it was this:

1. That the TON of wide open 3s that he missed show that he's not, somehow, icy-veined enough to be in the NBA. Is that right?

Why do a couple of posters on this board have such an obvious dislike of Mr. Giffey?

In one of the earlier games in the tourni - can't remember which one now, the kid hit a late 3 from the left corner that absolutely, positively stopped the bleeding and catapulted us into a position to win. The enemy had closed the gap to about 3 or 4 at that point, and we surged for the win thereafter.

In the final game, against the other hottest team in the tourni, AFTER missing his first shot, the kid drained not ONE, but TWO critical 3s that padded our lead and kept the childcats at arms length so we could power through to the win.

But, notwithstanding his wicked 50% shooting for the year from 3 and his essential and critical shots in winning two games in our final run,

you, cloudy thought man, point to the two or three games that he was cold from 3 and conclude that those exceptions - not the rule shown in his killer plays in the finals - are what best exemplifies him as a player.

I literally would like to smack you.

Can I get in line? We can be like the line of people wanting to smack the hysterical lady in Airplane.

I mean, hell, if you cherry-pick bad moments, Bazz had a couple of really sloppy turnovers over the last six games. Dribbling off his leg with 1:30 to go against St. Joe's when we were down 3. Not knowing there was a guy behind him against Kentucky, the pass through the Kentucky player's legs, etc. But if you take the aggregate performance over that stretch (the forest, not the trees), he was sensational. He did perhaps catch a break that Brimah had the three-point play to bail him out of an off game, but that happens in sports - teammates pick you up sometimes.

In Giffey's case, he missed some shots he had made regularly, yes. But he also guarded both Youngs in the Final Four (Florida's 270 pound center, and Kentucky's NBA 2 guard), as well as Randle. All those guys did most of their damage when other guys had them. And he hit three really big ones - the two late against Kentucky and the ISU one after they cut it to four. So if you see the forest, you realize that he had his thumbprints all over this title run, without his top weapon - surprise. No wait, surprise and fear. His two top weapons are surprise and fear.

And so did Boat, and DD, and Brimah, and Nolan defensively, and Samuel, and Kromah hit two big FTs (Kromah and Samuel were awful at the line early in the year and dead perfect in the NCAA Tournament - how cool is that). That's what made this ride so fun - everyone had their hands in it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am an alumni and HUGE UCONN fan, and love that we won. I thought the point of these message boards was for fans to engage in any interesting discussion or points they are thinking and not just 100% positive and exaggerated statement. First and foremost I am amazed, stunned and beyond proud of everything that is UCONN basketball this year. There is an infinite amount of praise and positive statements to be said about the team as a whole and each individual player and coach who contributed but are you guys kidding me that there is no room for praise. I am a HUGE fan, but also unbiased and some of the stuff I read is so exaggerated. Can Giffey play in the NBA? Like that's a real question. EVERY announcer and analyst said he would have a great career in Europe, no one mentioned the NBA except on these boards. Great contributor for us, but sorry for pointing out he doesn't have a spot in the NBA. Should I run and get off the boards for that?

And Boatright is an incredible athlete and basketball player, but I don't know where you could find anyone saying that this year he is a first round draft pick other than these UCONN message boards.

Sorry for trying to be unbiased, not hating on anyone, just trying to be unbiased and give my opinion.

Reaction Score
Niels could be the best glue guy we have ever had, when he lost playing time even as a senior he never lost confidence. Even though his 3 point shot wasn't falling he was still scoring playing solid D often out of position guarding the likes of Payne, Young and Randle, his rebounding was awesome. He was so due to hit a 3 in the championship game and both of them were extremely critical, I'm really gonna miss this kid.

I just can't help but think this kid is a Spur a typical Popovich player. I could see him playing in the NBA in the right system, would love to see him in the 2016 olympics. Maybe Dirk will put a word into Cuban on draft day. I don't see why a team wouldn't take a chance on him in the 2nd round or UDFA, stash him overseas.

Reaction Score
So you're going to argue that Boatright has good range and is a good 3-point shooter? He has a good percentage, not arguing that, but watching every game are you going to say he has good range and shooting is his strength?
No, I don't plan on arguing it, because it is a statistical fact. He shot 40% on 2 pointers and 38% on 3 pointers this year. All other things being equal, it's not even close in terms of what shot we were better off having him take.

Reaction Score
*someone makes a topic praising Niels for his career*
"HEY GUYS HE PLAYED BAD IN TWO GAMES WE WON"

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I am an alumni and HUGE UCONN fan, and love that we won. I thought the point of these message boards was for fans to engage in any interesting discussion or points they are thinking and not just 100% positive and exaggerated statement. First and foremost I am amazed, stunned and beyond proud of everything that is UCONN basketball this year. There is an infinite amount of praise and positive statements to be said about the team as a whole and each individual player and coach who contributed but are you guys kidding me that there is no room for praise. I am a HUGE fan, but also unbiased and some of the stuff I read is so exaggerated. Can Giffey play in the NBA? Like that's a real question. EVERY announcer and analyst said he would have a great career in Europe, no one mentioned the NBA except on these boards. Great contributor for us, but sorry for pointing out he doesn't have a spot in the NBA. Should I run and get off the boards for that?

And Boatright is an incredible athlete and basketball player, but I don't know where you could find anyone saying that this year he is a first round draft pick other than these UCONN message boards.

Sorry for trying to be unbiased, not hating on anyone, just trying to be unbiased and give my opinion.

As aceboon pointed out above, you missed the point of this thread, which is to honor and show appreciation of all the things that Niels did to be a great teammate and to contribute to the success of the team. It is not a thread where people are having an honest debate about some point or another. When you dispute some small point that has nothing to do with the main theme, you missed the point and even ruined a "feel good" thread.

Reaction Score
Great thread. In tourney game after game and time after time "Griffey" made so many little plays that did not appear in a stat line. Defense, rebounding, movement, stress on opposition.

Niels has incredibly quick gifted hands ----------I thought it was second coming of Caron Butler in that capacity

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Love you Neil's Giffey. Hope you make it good out there, how many people can say they're a 2 time national champ!?(hint, he can).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

There are times criticism, and there are times for celebration. Now is the time for basking in glory.

Reaction Score
I think what says the most about NG is, like a lot of the guys from this team, he stuck it out when he could have went elsewhere. His decision to stay might have even been the most difficult out of everyone's. He wasn't guaranteed a starting spot or huge minutes coming into the season. The teams chances at winning it all didn't look phenomenal at the begining of the year. He wasn't really playing for NBA scouts. His home was an ocean away. He could have easily gone pro in Germany after his stellar performance this summer and started making loot. He could have bounced back to the motherland with his one title and he'd have been showered in good German beer and bratwurts and beautiful Bavarian women and been paid enough Euros to swim in a la Scrooge McDuck.

Instead he chose to take the stairs, one at a time. He started out as a skinny kid who went out and gave it everything he had every second he was on the court, who was at times timid on the offensive end. He ended his career as a grown man who went out and gave it everything he had every second he was on the court, who knocked down half - half!- of the 3's he took, including some of the biggest of the season, who ripped down rebounds, who guarded multiple positions like a boss. Shabazz might have been the brain of the team, Boatright its heart, Daniels its lanky and devastating limbs and Brimah/Nolan its effervescent smile, but Niels was the backbone.

Niels never bailed. He ended his career as a 2 time NCAA champion and a consummate Husky. Giffey uber alles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom