Niels is having a great summer overseas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Niels is having a great summer overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Idk why a lot of you assume Deandre will be our leading scorer this year. I almost have no doubts Shabazz will be.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
In a strange kind of way I think Niels would be as good a player or even better in the NBA than at UConn. Truly hopes he gets a chance.

I think if the NBA is in his future, he'd be best suited to opt for a D-League team than going overseas after this year. Dyson and Adrien have proven that the D-League is not a giant stop sign.

Reaction Score
Idk why a lot of you assume Deandre will be our leading scorer this year. I almost have no doubts Shabazz will be.

We're likely to be a different top scorer every night type team so averages won't mean a whole lot. I put DD with more than Bazz because I assume Bazz will be hoping to showcase more distributing skills.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Then again, Majok was drafted in the 2nd round, so I guess anything is possible. Giffey suffers from Denham Brown Syndrome. Great talent, but surrounded by lots of other great talent so he isn't able to put up the kind of numbers he otherwise would. Unlike DB, I know NG wouldn't be lazy/have attitude issues if he were to be playing for an NBA team in the pre-season and might just have what it takes to gut it out and earn a final roster spot.

Reaction Score
It's getting absurd now that people don't understand Shabazz, Boatright, Omar and Daniels will comprise four out of the five starting spots.

Niels will get plenty of minutes off the bench at both SF and PF, but he ain't starting unless there's an injury.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's getting absurd now that people don't understand Shabazz, Boatright, Omar and Daniels will comprise four out of the five starting spots.

Niels will get plenty of minutes off the bench at both SF and PF, but he ain't starting unless there's an injury.

I tend to (have to) agree with this. I think NG will still get enough minutes though to be a big cog in our system.

Reaction Score

What is so absurd about it? regardless, there will be times he finds himself on the floor at the end of games bet that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how OC plays following his surgery. People have talked about his hips impacting his handle which prevented him from being more explosive. Hopefully we'll see a big improvement in that area. I also felt OC's defense was poor last season and I would bet that those hips had even more of an impact with D than his offense.

My guess is if OC improves with his mobility over last season he's the starter. It isn't that NG couldn't start. I just think OC has quicker instincts on offense. NG is a very good player who would start on a lot of teams and if he can be more assertive on offense than it could be an interesting challenge for KO. I still think OC gets the nod because NG has the mental makeup to be ready whenever he's called into a game and for whatever position KO deems necessary. That's a huge advantage for a coach to have.

Reaction Score
thx, do you have his stats for the entire summer?

1. game (Portugal): http://www.basketball-bund.de/wp-content/uploads/A-Herren2013GER-POR-1-.pdf

2. game (Portugal): http://www.basketball-bund.de/wp-content/uploads/A-Herren2013GER-POR-2-.pdf

3. game (France): http://www.basketball-bund.de/wp-content/uploads/DBB-HerrenGER-FRA2013.pdf

4. game (France): 8 Pts. (Unfortunately I cant find the stats)

5. game (Greece): http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/3886/08/62/50/90FTiUnqEoArE/
(you can change the language)

6. game (Croatia): http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/3886/08/62/46/575XAhx5nDBwo
(you can change the language)

In the first games the german coach let all players play. In the game versus croatia he let only 9 play. After the game he said, this was the first real test, because they had to bounce back from the heavy loss versus Greece. He wanted to see how the team can respond. There is one more good German player to join the team (Small Forward / Power Forward) but other then that, I think the rotation he used versus croatia, can give a very good hint who is playing during the european championship.

Reaction Score
Predicted averages: (assuming no Samuels or Facey)
Bazz 15 (4, 7)
Boat 14 (3, 4)
Omar 12 (4, 2)
DD 16 (7, 2)
Nolan 5 (6, >1)
Niels 7 (5, 1)
Olander 3 (3, 1)
Brimah >1 (1, 0)
Kromah 5 (2, 1)

That's a team average of 77 which is a bit high but I could see these guys putting these numbers up.

I don't think 77 is high at all, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the 80's range. This is the most talented offense we've had in five years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...he is an elite shooter

No, he's not. Not in games, anyway. We keep thinking he will be but it hasn't happened yet. This is his last year, it's time to make it so.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
NG should blossom this year. It's always seemed to be a mentality thing with him. There's no doubt the kid can stroke it. He also has tremendous BBIQ. He can rebound well for his size. He has underrated athleticism. And he is one of our most solid and consistent defenders (remember him him holding his own at center last year?).

I think Calhoun might have damaged NG's confidence with the quick hook. He's certainly improved since then and gotten better each year. He just needs to be confident and he's appeared more confident under Ollie.

NG will be a better pro player than a college player. I honestly think he has a shot at an NBA roster after this year. I could see him landing on a D-league team and working his way onto an NBA team's lineup and contributing.

Niels is one of those players who is GREATLY under appreciated while he's here... I don't think we'll realize the contributions he makes until after he's gone.

pj

Reaction Score
Predicted averages: (assuming no Samuels or Facey)
Bazz 15 (4, 7)
Boat 14 (3, 4)
Omar 12 (4, 2)
DD 16 (7, 2)
Nolan 5 (6, >1)
Niels 7 (5, 1)
Olander 3 (3, 1)
Brimah >1 (1, 0)
Kromah 5 (2, 1)

That's a team average of 77 which is a bit high but I could see these guys putting these numbers up.

I'm going to predict that Niels will more than double up Kromah in points. Kromah is going scoreless in the Greater Hartford Pro-Am where scores go in the 100s, Niels is scoring double-digits in the European championships. I hope that Kromah fan from DC is right that he can be a great player, but barring injuries I think it will be tough for him to break the Bazz-Boat-Omar-Niels rotation on the perimeter.

7-8 is probably about right for Niels because he puts a lot of effort into the non-stat parts of the game, but if the team needs him to score (injuries, foul trouble) it's good to know he can do it. Hope he comes back with a lot of confidence.

DD will be the top scorer because the team needs to establish an inside presence and he's the only inside scorer. There will be a huge emphasis on getting him the ball. But in the last 3 minutes of games, Bazz will be the top scorer.

Reaction Score
I'm going to predict that Niels will more than double up Kromah in points. Kromah is going scoreless in the Greater Hartford Pro-Am where scores go in the 100s, Niels is scoring double-digits in the European championships. I hope that Kromah fan from DC is right that he can be a great player, but barring injuries I think it will be tough for him to break the Bazz-Boat-Omar-Niels rotation on the perimeter.

Have to defend Kromah a little bit here. The biggest reason he didn't score the other night is because he played on a team with Kemba, Price, Dyson, Wiggins, etc. It sounds like he didn't play a whole lot, which is pretty understandable.

Reaction Score
No, he's not. Not in games, anyway. We keep thinking he will be but it hasn't happened yet. This is his last year, it's time to make it so.
Shoots 88% from the line so he isn't average. On a bigger sample size with more confidence, his other %'s should rise.

Reaction Score
NG should blossom this year. It's always seemed to be a mentality thing with him. There's no doubt the kid can stroke it. He also has tremendous BBIQ. He can rebound well for his size. He has underrated athleticism. And he is one of our most solid and consistent defenders (remember him him holding his own at center last year?).

I think Calhoun might have damaged NG's confidence with the quick hook. He's certainly improved since then and gotten better each year. He just needs to be confident and he's appeared more confident under Ollie.

NG will be a better pro player than a college player. I honestly think he has a shot at an NBA roster after this year. I could see him landing on a D-league team and working his way onto an NBA team's lineup and contributing.

Niels is one of those players who is GREATLY under appreciated while he's here... I don't think we'll realize the contributions he makes until after he's gone.

Mrs. Giffey, is that you? :) At this point, I'm starting to wonder if Niels will go ahead of Andrew Wiggins in next year's draft.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Mrs. Giffey, is that you? :) At this point, I'm starting to wonder if Niels will go ahead of Andrew Wiggins in next year's draft.

He hustles more than Wiggins thats for sure.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Hey, I love what Niels brings to the table honestly, I just think a few posters are getting carried away a bit. I'll stand by my prediction that he'll score 8 ppg, probably on 43% shooting.

Reaction Score
not understanding this NBA talk, I like Niels alot and I think the UK Maui game should be the norm for him, but I don't see it. He'll make plenty of money overseas, we're probably lucky he's staying all 4 years because he could've got a pro contract in Germany already if he wanted to. Vanderbilt just lost one of their German players after only 1 year.

Reaction Score
I don't think 77 is high at all, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the 80's range. This is the most talented offense we've had in five years.

Also keep in mind that it would add up to 77 if everyone played in every game, which isn't always the case due to injuries and days with a short rotation. You can have player averages add up to, say, 83, but the team average will be 77.

Reaction Score

I've just grown accustom to the 65-60 grindout games of the past couple years.

Reaction Score
I've just grown accustom to the 65-60 grindout games of the past couple years.

Understandable, but I think with Daniels, Boat, Bazz, and Calhoun/Giffey all out there at once, we are going to see a different brand of offense than what we have seen recently. In recent past, we have really only had one or two guys capable of creating off the bounce (Kemba and Dyson in '10, Kemba and occasionally Bazz in '11, Bazz, Boat, and Lamb in '12' and Bazz and Boat last year), whereas this season we should have four, maybe five guys depending on how Giffey progresses capable of creating their own shot. We won't be limited to the pick and roll every possession dynamic (though that will obviously still be a huge part of our offense), instead we will run more of a spread offense along the lines of what Duke runs with dribble penetration, razor-quick movement around the perimeter, drive and kick, etc. This will be the most balanced offensive attack we have had since '09, with four guys capable of going for 25 on any given night. Plus keep in mind we aren't playing in the Big East anymore, meaning less hand checking and 60-57 slugfests like you mentioned. This team is going to be explosive in the half court and even more so in transition. 80+ per game is not out of the question with this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom