Niels Giffey Eurobasket 2015 | The Boneyard

Niels Giffey Eurobasket 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Germany's preliminary squad for EuroBasket 2015 is expected to consist of these 21 players, possibly with some minor amendments according to individual fitness and health circumstances, with the addition of three more players.

Regardless of whom their exact final 12-man squad will include, Germany appear bound to continue the rejuvenating trend of recent years as most players on this list are in their early twenties.

Coach Fleming has called upon Danilo Barthel (Fraport Skyliners, GER), Robin Benzing (FC Bayern Munich, GER), Bastian Doreth(Artland Dragons, GER), Niels Giffey (Alba Berlin, GER), Per Günther(ratiopharm ulm, GER), Elias Harris (Brose Baskets Bamberg, GER),Alex King (ALBA Berlin, GER), Maximilian Kleber (Rio Natura Monbus Obradoiro, ESP), Konstantin Klein (Fraport Skyliners, GER), Maodo Lo (Columbia University, USA), Tim Ohlbrecht (ratiopharm ulm, GER), Tibor Pleiss (FC Barcelona, ESP), Heiko Schaffartzik (FC Bayern Munich, GER), Lucca Staiger (FC Bayern Munich, GER), Maurice Stuckey (EWE Baskets Oldenburg, GER), Karsten Tadda (Brose Baskets Bamberg, GER), Daniel Theis (Brose Baskets Bamberg, GER), Akeem Vargas (ALBA Berlin, GER), Johannes Voigtmann (Fraport Skyliners, GER), Maik Zirbes(Crvena Zvezda Belgrade, SRB) and Paul Zipser (FC Bayern Munich, GER).

Looks like dirk has committed to play for them this summer. I believe the 12 man roster will be set by late june (6/25/15 is the first day of 'tests'). Should be fun to watch giff share the floor with a HOF in dirk, pretty confident he'll make the squad.

Reaction Score
Looks like dirk has committed to play for them this summer. I believe the 12 man roster will be set by late june (6/25/15 is the first day of 'tests'). Should be fun to watch giff share the floor with a HOF in dirk, pretty confident he'll make the squad.

Nice to see previous NBA draft funniest foreign name winner Tibor Pleiss is still kickin it

Reaction Score

Giffey only played 12 minutes ( 6 pts/ 2 rbs / 1 assist) in GER 1st round qualification vs iceland, but gave a nice boost in the late 3rd quarter . Including this lob from Columbia star maodo lo.
Robin Benzing, germany's starting forward, twisted his ankle pretty badly so giffey might get an opportunity to play more minutes in their next match vs a talented serbian team tomorrow. up 18 at one point, germany blew their lead to iceland but scrapped out a 6 pt victory.

Reaction Score
edit: that wasn't lo throwing the alley to giffey,it was bayern munich pg heiko shaffartzik

Reaction Score
Granted I watched this on my phone but that doesn't look anything like Niels.

Reaction Score
Granted I watched this on my phone but that doesn't look anything like Niels.
he looks more athletic. but #5 on germany is niels, and thats who caught the lob.

Reaction Score
i love giff
love him too and this times piece encapsulates a lot of reasons why i do, including some great quotes from giffey

“It was such an emotional time for me, that this university, this team, became such a big part of my heart and became so close to me that it never crossed my mind to leave this place,” Giffey said.
He added: “I always felt it was about being a student-athlete at UConn. This school gave me so much when I won my national championship with this team.”

and

“The great thing about the players who stayed,” Giffey said, “is that we all knew what we wanted. We wanted to stay with the university, we wanted to stay with the people we were around.”

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Hopefully, Coach KO can continue a pipeline of an occasional stellar German player...I would love to see Giff 2.0!

Reaction Score
Elias Harris is a nice player - he's the Gonzaga kid right? He and Niels play pretty much the same position and I'm afraid he's just a little more talented overall.

Reaction Score
Another nice article on Niels and some college hoop thoughts. From April but for anyone who missed it.

And when it comes to what actually takes place on the court, differences between the college game and style of play in Europe are even more considerable.

"In the Euroleague, and in the BBL (Beko Bundesliga) too, the game is a little slower in the open court, but it's much, much faster in half court," Giffey explains.

We sure miss Niels. One of our beloved Husky.

Reaction Score
I can't watching shroeder play, guy is the biggest ball hog 'pass first' pg i've ever seen. Niels getting no tick under their american coach even when other german forwards get tooled on. Maybe its a seniority thing... they sit at 1-2 right now and need wins to get out of group play... playing italy right now and spain tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I can't watching shroeder play, guy is the biggest ball hog 'pass first' pg i've ever seen. Niels getting no tick under their american coach even when other german forwards get tooled on. Maybe its a seniority thing... they sit at 1-2 right now and need wins to get out of group play... playing italy right now and spain tomorrow.

Oddly enough the German national team coach is Chris Fleming. The same Chris Fleming of (brief) Storrs fame.

Reaction Score
Oddly enough the German national team coach is Chris Fleming. The same Chris Fleming of (brief) Storrs fame.
ah. well germany is in a tight one with italy, and niels didn't perform well in his 5 minutes or so in the first half. got scored 3 times in iso situations. Fleming isn't bad at all, germany just seems to be deep with similar players to niels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom