Niele Ivey to Memphis.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
dc.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, losing Niele was inevitable. If not this year, it would have happened next year. It could have happened a couple years ago when she interviewed for the Georgia job.

Hope the NBA treats Niele well. I still think she's the first phone call when Muffet decides to call it a career.

I will be very interested to see who is hired to replace her. A poster on McGraw's Bench mentioned Coquese Washington, though she took a job as an assistant at Oklahoma and I'm not sure whether that's feasible contractually.

The others I can think of on her coaching tree are either too advanced (e.g. Megan Duffy) or not far enough along in their careers (e.g. Michaela Mabrey) for it to make sense. But I'm probably forgetting someone.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ND recruiting has not been that great lately - It's been solid of course, but not top 10 cumulative for the past several recruiting cycles (just my impression) - i've not looked at results across the gamut of recruiting services, but per ESPN, their classes have been ranked #19, 7, and 11 over the past 3 years. But the year they were 7 was because of volume - their highest rated recruit was Gilbert at #27.

In the past 3 years they have gotten only 1 top 10 kid (Brunelle - down to #6 now) and 1 in the top 20 (Peoples #18). After that the next highest rated recruits were Gilbert (27) and Patterson (30 but transferred).

I believe she was the lead recruiter and responsible for forging relationships with the players being recruited. Losing her could set recruiting back even further... (not crying any tears for them, that's for sure)...!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I will be very interested to see who is hired to replace her. A poster on McGraw's Bench mentioned Coquese Washington, though she took a job as an assistant at Oklahoma and I'm not sure whether that's feasible contractually.

The others I can think of on her coaching tree either too advanced (e.g. Megan Duffy) or not far enough along in their careers (e.g. Michaela Mabrey) for it to make sense. But I'm probably forgetting someone.
Duffy is just starting her first year at Marquette. That would be pretty shady for her to bolt now.

Didn't they just post a vacancy for one of the "non-coaching" positions? They're probably upgrading that person to AC and just replacing them.

Reaction Score
It’s official. ND Assistant Coach Niele Ivey has accepted a position with the Memphis Grizzlies. Best wishes to Coach Ivie and more than a little interest in how this move might impact the Irish.
Oldude: I thought she lasted longer than expected. Once Diggy Baby left I expected Ivey to go. I liked ivey as a player for ND and thought she was a good guard coach. But honestly I don't think you'll see much change at ND with her departure---

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Duffy is just starting her first year at Marquette. That would be pretty shady for her to bolt now.

Didn't they just post a vacancy for one of the "non-coaching" positions? They're probably upgrading that person to AC and just replacing them.

Yeah, that's what I meant by Duffy being "too advanced" in her career to be a possibility.

They did post a vacancy for the Director of Basketball operations position but that's because Katie Capps got promoted up the admin hierarchy. So I don't think it's her.

From her bio on the ND website: "In July of 2019, Capps was promoted out of her ops role and will now serve as Assistant Athletics Director, Administration. Furthermore, Capps will remain as the team’s administrator."

Katie Capps

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude: I thought she lasted longer than expected. Once Diggy Baby left I expected Ivey to go. I liked ivey as a player for ND and thought she was a good guard coach. But honestly I don't think you'll see much change at ND with her departure---
I think it’s pretty clear Ivey had a significant impact on recruiting, so that is really where my question on her impact is directed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
But as the “heir apparent” one could hope that she was so vital to their success that Little Miss Muffet falls on her tuffet due to losing her, couldn’t we? :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I haven't heard but you can be certain there may be hundreds--waiting for th turndown. ND City sue, her hair is gold her eyes are blue---they bet the dog and horse on a few miss placed words.

Good to see you staying inn shape there @BroadwayVa ... oops 16th earthquake in 3 days, gotta go!

Reaction Score
$$$ will she make more than at ND? I think the recent NBA hiring of lady coaches is hard to understand except for “social” reasons—and before I get jumped on....I’ve coached HS rec ladies BBall for 25 years and watch ladies college ball religiously.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
$$$ will she make more than at ND? I think the recent NBA hiring of lady coaches is hard to understand except for “social” reasons—and before I get jumped on....I’ve coached HS rec ladies BBall for 25 years and watch ladies college ball religiously.

Not sure on the money issue. I did some brief googling and couldn't find anything solid on what an NBA assistant makes. Nor do I know what she made at ND. My guess is that it's probably a lateral move, but that could easily be dead wrong.

I do think that it has become almost "trendy" but hiring someone who won a Natty as both player and coach makes perfect sense in terms of her credentials.

On merit, there should have been more women in the NBA a long time ago. I'm sure Ivey's resume is much stronger than most NBA entry-level NBA assistants.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Happy for her and the movement of women coaching men. Congrats to Niele.

On the flip side, I am a bit concerned that many good up and coming coaches are bypassing women's college basketball and going to the NBA. If the NBA is going to poach many of WCBB's best young coaches, it doesnt necessarily bode very well for the future of WCBB.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I haven't heard but you can be certain there may be hundreds--waiting for th turndown. ND City sue, her hair is gold her eyes are blue---they bet the dog and horse on a few miss placed words.
Broadway, are you quoting Sioux City Sue? I had a recording of that when I was quite young. One of my first records (used).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom