Niele Ivey Might Join Memphis Grizzlies Staff as a Coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Niele Ivey Might Join Memphis Grizzlies Staff as a Coach

Reaction Score
Famous college/pro players
  • Lindsey Harding (Philadelphia Sixers)
  • Becky Hammon (San Antonio Spurs)
  • Kristi Toliver (Washington Wizards)
  • Kara Lawson (Boston Celtics)
Prominent college coach
  • Lindsay Gottlieb (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Heard of her
  • Jenny Boucek (Dallas Mavericks)
WHO?
  • Natalie Nakase (Los Angeles Clippers)
  • Karen Stack Umlauf (Chicago Bulls)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
@Orangutan (and the rest of the Boneyard faithful), by my count, there are eight women serving as assistant coaches in the NBA (as of June 2019):
As an aside, Nancy Lieberman had previously been an assistant coach with the Sacramento Kings (2015-2017). She apparently had to take leaves of absence during her tenure to care for her mother (who was living in Florida was sick), which proved difficult to do with the long hours of the NBA assistant coach position. As a result, she had to step away altogether in 2017. I believe she is doing commentary for New Orleans Pelicans' broadcasts.

I did a quick google and this from Wikipedia is the first chart I found, so that's the number I mentioned.

Thanks for the quality research. Looks like that page is missing Toliver and Harding.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Famous college/pro players
Prominent college coach
Heard of her
WHO?

You inspired me to look those last two up.

Looks like Nakase was a starting point guard UCLA in the early 2000s, then coached and played overseas.

Karen Stack played for Northwestern from 81-83 and then joined the Bulls in an administrative role. Apparently, she finally convinced them to let her coach after 3 decades working for the organization.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let me know when Becky Hammon is allowed to say something to Popovich during a game. Will it take another 5 years, 10 years? :oops:

Reaction Score
You inspired me to look those last two up.

Looks like Nakase was a starting point guard UCLA in the early 2000s, then coached and played overseas.

Karen Stack played for Northwestern from 81-83 and then joined the Bulls in an administrative role. Apparently, she finally convinced them to let her coach after 3 decades working for the organization.

Yeah I had too. Stack has a brother who worked both for the Bulls and now the Timberwolves, so a slight nepotism angle.
Nakase really seems to have come from obscurity and climbed the ladder.

Reaction Score
I know she isn’t an assistant but let’s not forget about Swin Cash

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Average NBA salary is about 6.4 million. Shoot, I'll take 5 percent of that and gladly be ignored all day and all night long.
Heck, you get that now on this forum! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sad that so few people have heard of Nakase since she was before most of the current female assistants in the NBA. Here are two LA Times articles and I think you'll be a fan after reading them.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND WBB has posted its DBO position. Is Katie Capps leaving or might she be moving to an assistant coach position?

Cat:
Thanks for posting this. I noticed that the job posting had an extremely short shelf life (Aug. 1 - Aug. 4) and was straight forward about there being a preferred candidate.

Interestingly, Katie Capp's DBO position was updated for the 2019-20 season so it would be very interesting to if she's got an assistant position and if she's going somewhere to get it. Stay tuned...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cat:
Thanks for posting this. I noticed that the job posting had an extremely short shelf life (Aug. 1 - Aug. 4) and was straight forward about there being a preferred candidate.

Interestingly, Katie Capp's DBO position was updated for the 2019-20 season so it would be very interesting to if she's got an assistant position and if she's going somewhere to get it. Stay tuned...

My initial thought was that Niele is leaving and Capps will fill the vacant asst coach position. Of course, Capps leaving the DBO position could be for reasons unrelated to Niele's situation. Sounds like we'll know soon enough.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
My initial thought was that Niele is leaving and Capps will fill the vacant asst coach position. Of course, Capps leaving the DBO position could be for reasons unrelated to Niele's situation. Sounds like we'll know soon enough.

Got that... I agree that we'll see soon enough:: I know Capps is/was well-respected in her position as DBO, but this was not the direction I expected MM to go in per succession iff Niele moves to Memphis. OK...business week begins shortly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Well, @Dillon77, we know that preferred candidate isn't a guy. ;) I really thought Neile was hanging around as successor in waiting. But that has as much credence as saying Shea occupies that position with Geno. 'Course she could go to the pro ranks and always return.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, @Dillon77, we know that preferred candidate isn't a guy. ;) I really thought Neile was hanging around as successor in waiting. But that has as much credence as saying Shea occupies that position with Geno. 'Course she could go to the pro ranks and always return.

The Director of Basketball Operations position may be a back-door entry into what's happening with the assistant coaching position. Or it may be a one-off move to another school's assistant coaching position for Katie, who has done good work in an often thankless position. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Re: Niele, I've always thought getting some head-coaching experience would be a good thing for her (nothing like being in charge except when you're in charge, right?), but could also understand she would pick carefully, given the job she did have and also raising her son, Jaden. However, getting some excellent experience at a completely different level could be beneficial as well.

As for when MM decides she wants to be a full-time gardener, I'm sure Niele will still be in the first round of calls, regardless of where she is. But, depending on how things go at Marquette, don't discount Megan Duffy. One position at a time,.... ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
(1) Road trip to Charlotte
(2) Think of the culinary delights that await you in Memphis, were you ever so inclined ....

1) The Grizzles do have 3 ex-Duke players on the roster so......

2) I know ALL about the food in Memphis.... been there 3 times....... great place to visit.... but if I lived there...... my goodness ..... lawd hammercy .... but I'll save that for a 2020 off-season OT thread :cool: But as a tease.. just think of Pulled Pork BBQ Pizza ......:eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
The Director of Basketball Operations position may be a back-door entry into what's happening with the assistant coaching position. Or it may be a one-off move to another school's assistant coaching position for Katie, who has done good work in an often thankless position. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Re: Niele, I've always thought getting some head-coaching experience would be a good thing for her (nothing like being in charge except when you're in charge, right?), but could also understand she would pick carefully, given the job she did have and also raising her son, Jaden. However, getting some excellent experience at a completely different level could be beneficial as well.

As for when MM decides she wants to be a full-time gardener, I'm sure Niele will still be in the first round of calls, regardless of where she is. But, depending on how things go at Marquette, don't discount Megan Duffy. One position at a time,.... ;)

I'm confused. Katie is a former player, but she's an administrator. Has been for 15+ years. I think she's an Asst. Athletic Admin. Weird timing to try to become a coach. Plus ND is all guards currently and have a history for being known for their guards. I don't see Capps involved there. Not sure of the NCAA reg of letting DBO staff actively participate in coaching. I remember Achonwa saying that she had limits to what was allowed as far as coaching in her role at ND while she recovered from ACL surgery. It wasn't just medical.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I was going to recommend you for the role but was just told you’re a man so that thought went down the drain...:oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom