Nice West Coast Article on Lou | The Boneyard

Nice West Coast Article on Lou

Reaction Score
Can She Get UConn a Fifth Straight Championship?

"It’s clear this strong team needs their toughest player: Though they made do without her last year, Lawson says there won’t be a title this year for UConn without Samuelson."
Really a great article on Samuelson and Napheesa---any article that misses Gabby misses the boat on Uconn's dynamics. Last night proved the Dynamic's of Uconn go 5 or 6 people. I'm a huge fan of Katie Lou---she is all they said she could be and more--she is truly the best of the Samuelson's sisters. Lawson, a great analyst---could pick any of the starting five and say without her--no National Championship..They all have to play at 140 percent every game--100 percent won't do it. Undersized, undered benched--only thing big is their hearts and desires.

HGN

Reaction Score
Can She Get UConn a Fifth Straight Championship?

"It’s clear this strong team needs their toughest player: Though they made do without her last year, Lawson says there won’t be a title this year for UConn without Samuelson."
Kara is probably right............UConn doesn't only just need her , they will need her to be on her game. Shooting , playing defense , and rebounding. A complete game.

Reaction Score
Really a great article on Samuelson and Napheesa---any article that misses Gabby misses the boat on Uconn's dynamics. Last night proved the Dynamic's of Uconn go 5 or 6 people. I'm a huge fan of Katie Lou---she is all they said she could be and more--she is truly the best of the Samuelson's sisters. Lawson, a great analyst---could pick any of the starting five and say without her--no National Championship..They all have to play at 140 percent every game--100 percent won't do it. Undersized, undered benched--only thing big is their hearts and desires.

How about: any article that misses Kia misses the boat on Uconn's dynamics.
When will people start noticing Kia? I hope not 'til after we cut the nets.

Reaction Score
Kara is probably right..UConn doesn't only just need her , they will need her to be on her game. Shooting , playing defense , and rebounding. A complete game.
Kara is definitely correct about the value of Samuelson's performance...but we could easily substitue Chong, Collier, Williams and Nurse's names. We need them all healthy, out of foul trouble and productive to reach the NC goal!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a heads up - the next story on that site is a really nice one about CD and worth the read:
The UConn Huskies' Secret Weapon Has Serious Staying Power

And just FYI - yeah it is a team game and everyone on this team including Lawlor is important to the team dynamic. But not every article has to go down all the strengths of each player on the team. Some articles can focus on a single player.
This constant 'but they didn't mention _______' after every posting is getting really boring. We all know that this team is not deep and any player lost to injury or foul trouble in the top 7 greatly reduces Uconn's odds of getting to the FF let alone winning. Do we have to hear similar complaints every time one individual player gets individual praise. (Sorry for the rant!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There can only be one superstar on the team and its kls on uconn. Last year it was stewie and before she came to uconn it was maya. There's always going to be a lot of great players on uconns teams that don't get the media coverage that the superstar gets but that's how it is.

Reaction Score
Just a heads up - the next story on that site is a really nice one about CD and worth the read:

And just FYI - yeah it is a team game and everyone on this team including Lawlor is important to the team dynamic. But not every article has to go down all the strengths of each player on the team. Some articles can focus on a single player.
This constant 'but they didn't mention _______' after every posting is getting really boring. We all know that this team is not deep and any player lost to injury or foul trouble in the top 7 greatly reduces Uconn's odds of getting to the FF let alone winning. Do we have to hear similar complaints every time one individual player gets individual praise. (Sorry for the rant!)
The link needs better editing. Lots of mistakes.

Reaction Score
So true. Kia may become the tourney's MVP. If she plays like the last couple of games, that will happen.

Reaction Score

If you watched Butler's time on the court against SU, and her performance, I think we can conclude that Geno will be using 6 players the rest of the way ( barring foul trouble or injury ).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If you watched Butler's time on the court against SU, and her performance, I think we can conclude that Geno will be using 6 players the rest of the way ( barring foul trouble or injury ).
Just wow. Syracuse is a three point shooting team - Butler is not a perimeter defender. So yeah, not exactly her kind of game. But Uconn is not undefeated this year without Butler, and one of the games if Uconn goes all the way, Butler will make a big difference. I would say if this particular game is what we expect from Dangerfield the rest of the tournament, Geno is probably playing his starters 40 minute from here on out - but I actually expect both Butler and Dangerfield to be important as the team moves forward and I strongly suspect Geno feels the same way.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

That is a great article about CD, other than the somewhat crazy last paragraph. Gives context to Geno's breaking down last year in accepting an award, muttering "its all been you CD" or similar. What a great duo.

Reaction Score
Crystal took some horrible shots last night. Let's hope that doesn't happen again, or she might just be glued to the bench.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Didn't sound like a rant to me.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Just wow. Syracuse is a three point shooting team - Butler is not a perimeter defender. So yeah, not exactly her kind of game. But Uconn is not undefeated this year without Butler, and one of the games if Uconn goes all the way, Butler will make a big difference. I would say if this particular game is what we expect from Dangerfield the rest of the tournament, Geno is probably playing his starters 40 minute from here on out - but I actually expect both Butler and Dangerfield to be important as the team moves forward and I strongly suspect Geno feels the same way.
Yeah not Crystal Dangerfield's best game. Her shots didn't fall, and she couldn't keep her mark in front of her. By Saniya had the same exact problems last night, and the entire team had issues keeping SU's guards in front of them. SU's guards played it smart in the 2nd half. They knew UConn was taking them deep on the perimeter. They patiently waited and took advantage of the 2nd and third layer of switching and went to the hoop. When UConn went to the triangle and 2 or the 2/3 they took and made contested 3's. For Nat the Day sisters were perfect storms. Long, quick and athletic. Against teams like Baylor though Nat's minutes are precious and needed. Against teams like Baylor Crystal Dangerfield's quickness puts their guards at a disadvantage since they (especially Wallace) can't press her like SU's guards could. As you said and implied, the NCAA's is a marathon not a sprint. The time for these ladies will come and they'll show up.

Reaction Score
Crystal took some horrible shots last night. Let's hope that doesn't happen again, or she might just be glued to the bench.

She is a frosh... but there were a few times she just dribbled around and then took her own shot. Just seemed odd to see in a UConn offense. I think she is safe and I am sure she will have some big moments in the upcoming games.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I mean, we can't blame them for not keeping the nation's best backcourt in front of them on their way to a 30 point win.
LOL. My "You ain't no damn good" list continues to grow.

Reaction Score
There can only be one superstar on the team and its kls on uconn. Last year it was stewie and before she came to uconn it was maya. There's always going to be a lot of great players on uconns teams that don't get the media coverage that the superstar gets but that's how it is.

Interesting notion. I tend to agree that a certain player becomes the face despite equal contribution of others. With the crowd chanting Louuuuuuuu the way they do it supports KLS is probably that player for this year's team. Also, the way Geno talks about Lou's importance, abilities and ceiling tends to also support the case. Again, not getting into who is better, more important, etc... but who has become the face of the team.

Reaction Score

I absolutely agree---This year from here on out---Uconn Women need full response from 7 players---6 are true BADASSES--one is essential when the chips are down--I hope that one responds well. But this team cannot do with out Kia, Gabby, Napheesa, Katie Lou, Saniya playing at full capacity--you are right about Kia--My bad, but I think I named them all. Kia was fantastic--super amazing--and enjoyed every second of the scoring threat she became. Loved it!!

Reaction Score
LOL. My "You ain't no damn good" list continues to grow.
Did you see Geno on the side line as one of the two greatest backcourts lost the ball out of bounds---I don't know what he said--but I would have said how do you like playing against the REAL best backcourt .

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You should have added, "in my opinion".

Reaction Score
Yes it's a positive story, but it may be one of the biggest examples of lazy reporting that I've seen. They quote Fuller and Lawson. No talking to the coach, KLS or other players. In fact, they talk to no one else. Yes, the writing brings it all together, but honestly, it is the best example of journalistic "mailing it in" I've seen in quite a while.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score

Agreed both Natalie and Crystal will have some positive big impact moments yet in this tourney...Competition is going to get tougher...They'll do well...

A lot of fans noticed Crystal getting beat defensively...

Noticed as well how the coaching staff gave her the most difficult defensive assignments when there was a solid lead...

Continued to make her guard Peterson on Syracuse and Imani Tate from U. Albany...

Geno never one to pass up an opportunity for his players too learn and improve...

I recall Moriah struggling as a freshman defensively as well...She learned and the rest as they say is history...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom