Nice to see a sell out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nice to see a sell out

Reaction Score
As a former student, and a childhood fan, I didn’t mind paying $5 per game. What I always had a problem with is the student placement in the arena, the XL center in particular. Don’t have a single student with 50 feet of the floor in the XL. And only on one baseline, 20 rows up. Yes, I would have gladly paid extra for closer seats to make up for revenue from the corporate seats.

During a winter storm one year, vs Cuse I think, they just opened the doors to any student since no one was going to get to campus. Having students on both baselines was absolutely insane...yes I believe we lost the game, and that was the 03-04 team, but still, no doubting gampel was more alive than I could remember.

Reaction Score
This just in: UConn isn’t a big time university. Did you see the debt we are in?
It's only because the state runs everyone out. UConn does a great job with the resources it has.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FB tickets were free for me and I could BYOB. The one time I was stopped is because I didn't have my 6 in a bag.

Reaction Score
So I was there with some alumni. It was packed. Students did there part, alumni also and regular fans. Granted - I think most figured this was best game on campus all year (6 PM on a Sat against a great team last few years), but it was loud, packed, etc. Still on campus actually (Nathan Hale rooms, 6 of us came up and booked 3 rooms). Huskies/Ted’s was slammed. Heard it was “silly weekend” by an undergrad. Meaning before any responsibility they party like crazy this weekend since classes barely started. Told her to deal with her class early week and leave wknds to party and her (and friends) were like “no way - we have to focus.” Told then our wknds started on Wed and they looked shocked...totally diff campus now.

Reaction Score
Tickets should be free for students

I don't know how in demand student tickets are now. But when I was there from 2000-2005, student tickets sold out very quickly every year. Charging $5 a game might help ensure that students who are serious about the games get them. Now, if the student section stops filling up, then that's a different story. I'd rather give away some tickets than have empty seats behind the basket.

Reaction Score
Why didn't you?
Pay more...not pay the overinflated prices they charge for baseline seats. My point is if they change the student section to a baseline, I wouldn’t of had a problem paying more.

Reaction Score
They should expand the concession food at Gampel. Could use the revenue.

Reaction Score
I mean they have to give away free tickets, shirts, hats and those shaker things to get enough students in. That’s kind of embarrassing that a lot of students don’t want to go watch the game.

Reaction Score
They should expand the concession food at Gampel. Could use the revenue.

I believe there a couple problems here:

1) the way Gampel was built, there are very limited (if not zero) capabilities to do anything with concessions beyond what you currently see today, which leads into...

2) this is why there is a proposal out there to build an expanded concourse for Gampel that would allow for better concessions, but this requires money that is currently being allocated to new baseball, softball, and soccer fields and then on top of this...

3) I assume Gampel has a contract already with a food vendor that handles all concessions so they would have to wait until this expires before being able to look at other vendors that could offer a better food offering to patrons

Reaction Score
FWIW, I remember getting into games at the old Field House for free with just a valid student ID.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I never attended UConn (sorry guys) but I did attend two other large universities. At one, you bought a pass that was good for all sporting events during the year. It was like $120 (probably a little higher now) and gave you tickets to all the football games and you could show the pass to get in at no extra cost to the basketball, volleyball, soccer, or whatever other sporting events. If you didn't have the pass, you'd have to buy regular tickets to football, basketball, etc.

At the other school, which was definitely a football first university, you could get a discounted season pass for football, but it was still expensive and I never went to a game. You could get basketball tickets for $2 a piece. I guess that was mostly so that the people who reserved them put something down and it's more likely they'll actually use them versus having free tickets. I went to a couple of basketball games while I was there. Can't ask for a better deal on power conference basketball tickets.

UConn is obviously in a different situation than either of those universities but I think it's pretty normal for students to pay something at least for tickets. My sister's university has free basketball tickets for students but it's a smaller school in a smaller D1 conference. For whatever all of that was worth. Probably nothing.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Blue out at a football game also had an uncooperative crowd.
If I recall, they tried to do this during a cold weather game with a chance of rain. People just wore their raincoats

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t remember ever getting free tickets....we just paid a student price. Of course, I graduated in 82, when a UConn education was still affordable for the masses.
Probably high-fived you at a few of those games...

CL82

Reaction Score
This just in: UConn isn’t a big time university. Did you see the debt we are in?
You might want to reread that article.

CL82

Reaction Score
If I recall, they tried to do this during a cold weather game with a chance of rain. People just wore their raincoats
Fishy once pointed out that if you were going to pick a school color based on impact in the stands, you probably want to go with red. Blue just gets lost.

Reaction Score
Palatine, I applaud the positivity knowing that things would go full off-rail by post 3.

Reaction Score
White out seemed mediocre from TV. Fans can't be bothered to follow directions :D. How'd it look from inside the arena?

People don't wear white clothing. Considering the majority of Americans are hugely obese, they are even less likely to wear bright colors like white. Blue out or bust. I used to be fat, nothing worse than wearing white and having man tits busting out in a white shirt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom