Nice Story on Sheri Coale | The Boneyard

Nice Story on Sheri Coale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a person ---Sherri Coale is my first favorite coach---available to fans --easy to speak to--my impression is she is just a nice person. And she is a pretty fair coach.
Without a doubt--without Bam -Bam (who sang the National Antheum) and Geno's recommendation she may not have been the Sooners WBB coach.
When Uconn played OU Sooners at the Civic Center I was the one LOUD mouth cheering for both of them. LET THEM PLAY--the refs were nitpickers and calling nits--

Reaction Score
Great article. Thanks, Rocky. Loved the Geno bits also. :cool:

Reaction Score
As a person ---Sherri Coale is my first favorite coach---available to fans --easy to speak to--my impression is she is just a nice person. And she is a pretty fair coach.
Without a doubt--without Bam -Bam (who sang the National Antheum) and Geno's recommendation she may not have been the Sooners WBB coach.
When Uconn played OU Sooners at the Civic Center I was the one LOUD mouth cheering for both of them. LET THEM PLAY--the refs were nitpickers and calling nits--

BroadwayVa- ------Right on! One of the worst refereed games I've ever seen and I've seen some real clunkers!
53 fouls whistled for the game, 29 in the 1st 1/2 alone!
Bill Titus was the head official and UCONN was #1 and OKLA was #3 if I'm not mistaken!

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
It is one thing to be a good coach,at any sport.However,when one of the all time best coaches compliments you and your program,it is something special.To me,it is as hard not to root for Oklahoma to do well(not as well as Connecticut,of course)as it would be to not find the beauty inside and out of this woman.
I am so glad that Geno got involved,because college basketball would have missed another legend in the making.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I agree, though that ultimate isolation, back down play by Dee did pick up a genuine foul it was something that could have been passed over. The young lady from Canada, Stacey Dales, was crushed.

"The Play"

Reaction Score
BroadwayVa- ------Right on! One of the worst refereed games I've ever seen and I've seen some real clunkers!
53 fouls whistled for the game, 29 in the 1st 1/2 alone!
Bill Titus was the head official and UCONN was #1 and OKLA was #3 if I'm not mistaken!

You are correct. After a while, in the first half, with me leading the Let Them Play--almost everyone Uconn/Ou fans saying the same thing---to no avail.
Nevertheless--I enjoyed watching a ToP Sooner team Vs Uconn (top everything)--great players on OU--Great players on UC--an then they met up in the NC--how kool was that/??
We, those in my household, love Sherri Coale --we regularly get into discussion with OU Alum/fans about her--. Write a letter to her--about her team or herself --and you shall have a reply written by hand--..

Reaction Score
It is one thing to be a good coach,at any sport.However,when one of the all time best coaches compliments you and your program,it is something special.To me,it is as hard not to root for Oklahoma to do well(not as well as Connecticut,of course)as it would be to not find the beauty inside and out of this woman.
I am so glad that Geno got involved,because college basketball would have missed another legend in the making.
Amen!!!

Reaction Score
I agree, though that ultimate isolation, back down play by Dee did pick up a genuine foul it was something that could have been passed over. The young lady from Canada, Stacey Dales, was crushed.

"The Play"

Thank you for this---Stacey Dales--she backed down for no one--she was one of the few in WBB who thought she was great as Dee. I liked her--until as a novice broadcaster--she dissed Uconn --eventually that was fixed --but I maintained my dislike.

Reaction Score
You are correct. After a while, in the first half, with me leading the Let Them Play--almost everyone Uconn/Ou fans saying the same thing---to no avail.
Nevertheless--I enjoyed watching a ToP Sooner team Vs Uconn (top everything)--great players on OU--Great players on UC--an then they met up in the NC--how kool was that/??
We, those in my household, love Sherri Coale --we regularly get into discussion with OU Alum/fans about her--. Write a letter to her--about her team or herself --and you shall have a reply written by hand--..

BroadwayVa- - - Several years ago I sent Sherri C. a photo of her to be signed. (I have a special wing of my house for sports memorabilia, mostly MLB & WBB.) It was of her yelling at her players. 2 weeks later I got back a photo of Sherri, more flattering, smiling not yelling, signed Sherri Coale, Go Sooners! She's one of my favorite coaches!

Reaction Score
Certainly did and the damage was done. Like you, she was dead to me. Turned out she came across too much as a haughty, aloof look at me type and her broadcasting career was toast.

RockyMTblue2- - - Stacy Dales at ESPN, dished other lady side line or reporters and said something nasty about them, "They got better gigs than her because of their looks/bodies" and ESPN sent her on her way!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why did you get him started (not you, him)
639.gif

Reaction Score
BroadwayVa- - - Several years ago I sent Sherri C. a photo of her to be signed. (I have a special wing of my house for sports memorabilia, mostly MLB & WBB.) It was of her yelling at her players. 2 weeks later I got back a photo of Sherri, more flattering, smiling not yelling, signed Sherri Coale, Go Sooners! She's one of my favorite coaches!

She is really a nice person--coaches get frustrated--coaches yell. Other coaches , no matter how flattering your note maybe--they don't have the time or inclination to be nice to fans. Geno and or Christine were superb in the past. 10/15 years ago Geno answered his own emails--then he got smart. With 2000000 fans, he can't answer them all. I'm still infatuated with Sherri Coale.

Reaction Score
As a sooner fan I love Sherri, but she needed to step up our recruiting if we can keep up with Baylor and Texas.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not to make it an excuse, but Dales' broadcast career launched (or lunched?) about the same time she had some personal life-drama going on. She always seemed to present herself as angry or embittered. That others got gigs that she didn't because of her looks? Bizarre. She is certainly not weak in that department. Last I knew, she was doing some football sideline work.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
She was or is doing some football sideline work with NFL network.

Her relationship with ESPN did not end because of any attitudinal friction with UConn's program or fans. It ended when their contract negotiations hit an unusual impasse. She is 6'4" but ESPN wanted her to fly in coach. As a large person (6'2" and 285), I can identify with being crammed into aircraft seating in coach class.

She was a very special WCBB player, regardless.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As i recall, it was not just that they were sending Stacey in coach, but that her male colleagues were being sent in first and she was calling them out on the double standard. Not to get this off track, but both sports management and sports broadcasting have tended to lag behind the rest of society on equality issues based on gender as well as race - not to mention issues of overt sexism/racism. No idea if her issues were valid, but not surprising that she would experience issues. As our own sideline reporter (former and soon to be missed) for SNY has also experienced.

On Ms. Coale - yup, one of my favorites, and a great supporter of Geno. I do hope she can get some new successes in recruiting, but Norman, OK cannot be any better than Storrs in it's appeal to city players from either coast.

Reaction Score
Stacey just came off as angry or had an edge to her comments and I think that turned some fans off as well as personal problems with ESPN.

Reaction Score
I was court side at the Civic center game and it was brutally physical. I do not know if it could have been handled better by the stripes but Sherries plan was totally to play as hard as possible and let the chips fall as they may and hope the stripes let them play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom