OT: - Nice story about FOG Harry Perretta and Shelly Pennefeather | The Boneyard

OT: Nice story about FOG Harry Perretta and Shelly Pennefeather

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pennefather was a star player for Villanova who became a cloistered nun. Geno is quoted here

Interesting but perhaps very sad for some like me.

The feature will air during SportsCenter on Saturday at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., and re-air following Sunday Night Baseball the next day.

“She played old-school basketball, where she’s cutting you open and slicing and dicing you. She’s smiling at you and you’re cut to pieces, and the game’s over,” University of Connecticut women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma told ESPN for a new SportsCenter feature that will premiere Saturday.

The feature — written by Elizabeth Merrill and narrated by Good Morning America co-host Robin Roberts — chronicles Pennefather’s decision to walk away from a $200,000 contract in Japan to join the Monastery of the Poor Clares in June 1994.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Interesting but perhaps very sad for some like me.

The feature will air during SportsCenter on Saturday at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., and re-air following Sunday Night Baseball the next day.

“She played old-school basketball, where she’s cutting you open and slicing and dicing you. She’s smiling at you and you’re cut to pieces, and the game’s over,” University of Connecticut women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma told ESPN for a new SportsCenter feature that will premiere Saturday.

The feature — written by Elizabeth Merrill and narrated by Good Morning America co-host Robin Roberts — chronicles Pennefather’s decision to walk away from a $200,000 contract in Japan to join the Monastery of the Poor Clares in June 1994.
If she finds peace and fulfillment then it’s not sad at all. It isn’t like she had no choice or hadn’t experienced life outside the cloister

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If she finds peace and fulfillment then it’s not sad at all. It isn’t like she had no choice or hadn’t experienced life outside the cloister

I am thinking of her family and friends. JMO.

Reaction Score
'So I made this deal with God.'

The ESPN article is up on their website. Given the backstory of her childhood and family, her choice doesn't seem surprising at all, and as she says herself:

He saw the woman he had known and loved for most of his life, and they gave each other a knowing smile and an embrace.
"We made the right decision," she told him.
"No regrets," he said.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
no ... it is incredibly sad ... if it's fulfilling for her, great for her, but its truly a sad thing

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That's interesting. This is a world I know nothing about.

As part of her commitment, Pennefather — who now goes by Sister Rose Marie of the Queen of Angels — must remain barefoot, can only sleep for four hours at a time, and is not allowed to have physical contact with family and friends outside of a ceremony that takes place every 25 years.​

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I am thinking of her family and friends. JMO.

I agree. I watched the feature and was in tears as all of her friends and family gathered to get their 25 year hug. And the thought of it being the last hug for her mom... :oops:

Everyone has a calling (to do something), but it doesn’t necessarily make it easy on the other people in their life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had a very successful colleague who left a career that was both lucrative and impactful and became a Jesuit. This was a man who had been married, had kids, many, many friends and was strikingly good in his career. He's still happy, focused and driven. The same guy really, just doing something that he feels matters.

Reaction Score
I read the ESPN article, and my take was that, although she loved basketball and all that it brought her, she was searching for that "thing" in her life that had a broader meaning and task. I am very non-religious, so I am in no position to judge, but it must have been a startling revelation, to be able to give up family and friends for this. I am very sure that I will never understand this level of "commitment", but good for her.

Reaction Score
It is hard to comment on this story (which I found to be uplifting in many ways) without stumbling across some facet of the religion, but I will stay away per the rules. i especially enjoyed the description of Pennefather's upbringing and her interaction with Harry Perretta

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
While I certainly don't understand the practices associated with her religious choice, as others have said, as long as it brings her fulfillment. And there are certainly many, many examples throughout Christian history (and doubtless other religions as well) of folks who chose a religious life and were clearly fulfilled and happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom