Nice night by Joey C. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nice night by Joey C.

Reaction Score
I didn't say he couldnt shoot better, just that he has to, because Joey C is. Alleyne is missing 4 or 5 completely wide open 3s a game at this point.
My point is there is nothing to suggest he won't shoot better and as much as I like having Joey C on the bench, he's not going to be cutting into Alleyne's minutes.

Reaction Score
A play out of a timeout or with a short clock would be nice to run to set Joey up for a shot.

Reaction Score
Joey C seems like a momentum guy. His threes feel bigger. Reminds me of pollen in that way. He’s going to be huge for us a couple times this year

Reaction Score
Good shooter, poor defender so far
I call him Joey C my grandson Called him Joey Chestnut
He actually got a steal and a tip in that surge that woke us up.
UB was very quick I’m not buying we will see that much more quickness in conference . although a smallish team, that one guard was quicker than Diarra.
We were stuck on a Dozen points and after C man came in we had a double digit lead. Thats the kind of things that make a difference.
It’s the first game I attended in many years . After hyping Sanago my grandson he said no way he is BE player of the year. He didn’t have a great night.
My observations:
The steps in Hartford sre a lot steeper than I remember them maybe I’m just too old.
It was snowing when I left the FX ,something I hadn’t seen doing in many years. Natures way of welcoming me back. Last week was 75 and this week snow typical New England .
UConn is a tad careless with the ball that has to tighten up.
and Newton is their PG and really took control except for the first few minutes .
Hard to judge the crowd size but it was loud at times.
The crowd loved THE Bristol Big guy . He didn’t do much in the first half but was dominate in the second . We had him 5 for 5 shooting . He takes high percentage shots.
The ref’s were calling touches with the exception of Sanogo who hardly got to the line even though there
was contact under the hoop.
Karaban is a smart player who hasn’t found his three range yet but does so many different things .
The prettiest play of the game was his baseline move beating his guy for an easy hoop. That was right in front of us
I had a great time even though we were missing guys and hopefully can get to go again.
I was trying to get some enthusiasm for the football game @ Army . It’s a great setting and it’s really a short drive from Litchfield county but venturing outside is not a good idea for me.
Maybe I’ll get tickets for a Storrs game staying indoors is probably a good idea .
I liked Alleyne and Diarra’s hustle and quickness.
It was a fun night but hardly 1989-90 Georgetown. With the old mall shaking from the noise .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I love the fact that Barry Maguire heard the Mamas and the Papas in this song and brought it to his producer to record. When the producer heard the Mamas and the Papas sing, he dumped Barry and recorded it with them. That launched their career. Maguire is probably best known for singing Eve of Destruction. Would’ve been a very different song with him in the lead

Reaction Score
He may not be a good defender, but if when we go cold, or we need some buckets to catch up, I'll be California dreaming.

Just give me 2 3's a game, the rest are his.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
He’s going to be a zone buster in the event teams pack it in on the bigs - which mind you is a good weapon to have. But I can’t see him getting too many minutes against bigger, faster, stronger BE opponents who will man him up.

Reaction Score
He’s going to be a zone buster in the event teams pack it in on the bigs - which mind you is a good weapon to have. But I can’t see him getting too many minutes against bigger, faster, stronger BE opponents who will man him up.
This. He’s going to be very matchup dependent. Nice to have but in most games against better teams I don’t think we see much of him.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech fans noted Alleyne is a very streaky shooter. He goes either 4/5 or 1/6 from 3. At times it's going to feel like a Polley reprise but Alleyne brings ball handling, defense, and aggressiveness. I was hoping this would have been improved over the Sumner. Just going to have to ride the wave. He will probably win us a game or two when he's on.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what you were watching but guys were going by Joey C like he was a turnstile. His D is horrendous. We may need his shooting a game or two down the road but no way he gets consistent burn with his complete lack of defensive skills.
Joey is a mediocre defender but that is way overstating it. Buffalo did not get to the rim very often. Of course, either Sanogo or Clingan were back there.

He does one thing very well that this team needs, that is shoot. For Sanogo to be a game changer he needs room. Joey C will help in that regard. Manny Ramirez was a poor defender but he was excellent with a bat in his hand. All players have strengths and weaknesses. He got consistent burn and it was a positive for the team. JC is shooting 54% from three, even if that goes down to 40% he should get minutes.

Reaction Score
This offense is going to get much better when Jackson is on the floor
Excited to see A-Jax make his way back. Hopefully the team chemistry will jell quickly when he returns.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
He’s going to get bodied by the bigger guards but I don’t think he’s as horrible a defender as everyone makes him out to be. He had a couple nice steals where he saw where the pass was going - he’s active enough playing off ball defense, he’s just going to have trouble with the bigger and quicker guys.

Reaction Score
Joey C is bringing much more on offense than I had hoped for. He can play some very important minutes for us when the team is cold (like what we saw last night).

I would guess that with Dre back in the lineup, it will be easier to "hide" him on D more; also, the coaches may be able to come up with a gimmicky D scheme that works when he's on the court for his offense.

How much Zone have we played with Joey C in the game? That might be the answer.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched these games closely enough to have a good sense of the type of liability he is on defense, but I have to imagine that - regardless of opponent - these guys are going to have enough bricklaying games where he's going to be needed to hit some shots. Amazing how much easier it is to create a working margin when you have a guy that can stack a couple threes.

Reaction Score
PT will be at a premium soon but Joey C can be our microwave off the bench for a few minutes while starters are catching a break. Currently shooting app. 55% from 3.. 54% FG.. Tied for team #1 for steals/game..

Once our offense starts kicking in and is running efficiently .. Not a bad 5th option to have on the floor once and awhile to provide some catch and shoot buckets

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don’t know what you were watching but guys were going by Joey C like he was a turnstile. His D is horrendous. We may need his shooting a game or two down the road but no way he gets consistent burn with his complete lack of defensive skills.
I don’t know what you were reading. I said his D is weak but it was better in this game than Diarra’s. Those fouls that Diarra got were primarily because players got by him. He got an assist foul on Karaban. And two or three times players scored over Diarra in this game. Diarra’s previous game was significantly better and Joey’s was worse.

That’s not a dig on Diarra. We’re going to need both players as backups. And both appear to be upgrades from backup guards we had last year.

Reaction Score
According to Hurley (who's opinion on the subject matters), "Joey held up defensively for the most part" with a few lapses.

Reaction Score
According to Hurley (who's opinion on the subject matters), "Joey held up defensively for the most part" with a few lapses.
I agree with this. He got blown by once or twice, but also drew a charge, had a couple stops, and picked off passes or picked up loose balls.

He's not a versatile defender. He can pretty much only guard 6'3" and under guards who aren't super strong. But in that assignment he's fine, if not spectacular. If he gets switched onto a 6'6" guy it's a bit of trouble.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d like to see the team have more awareness of his position on defense. He’s the weak link on that end and needs to be protected, but if they can he’ll be an effective weapon.

Reaction Score
I’d like to see the team have more awareness of his position on defense. He’s the weak link on that end and needs to be protected, but if they can he’ll be an effective weapon.
This is what I saw several times also. Looked like Villanova type attempts to isolate with Buffalo knowing have physical guards to go one on one with JC. Noted more so in previous game that UConn other defenders weren't aware enough on providing help on drivers/cutters and giving too nice a cutting/passing lane to JC's guy (but several other guys also).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom