Nice move by Olivia | The Boneyard

Nice move by Olivia

Reaction Score
She played the 5 at UCONN out of necessity. She was always a 4. I admire her for her sacrifice and staying and accepting the challenge.
I've gotta believe every Huskies fan is rooting for Liv to make it in the WNBA. She certainly has talent, but she's got to tame those old habits of fouling and traveling.

That baseline move was really pretty, but an official could have called her for what the commentator called the 'chicken wing,' or hooking with her elbow, which she used regularly at UConn. As for traveling, well, at least she's now in a realm where most players travel so often that her familiar shuffle of the feet hopefully won't be whistled.

Keep working, Liv, there is a place for you, whether it be on the Sparks or elsewhere!

Reaction Score
I've gotta believe every Huskies fan is rooting for Liv to make it in the WNBA. She certainly has talent, but she's got to tame those old habits of fouling and traveling.

That baseline move was really pretty, but an official could have called her for what the commentator called the 'chicken wing,' or hooking with her elbow, which she used regularly at UConn. As for traveling, well, at least she's now in a realm where most players travel so often that her familiar shuffle of the feet hopefully won't be whistled.

Keep working, Liv, there is a place for you, whether it be on the Sparks or elsewhere!
Yea...new beginnings in a lot of ways. Sure she is anxious to be her natural self. She'll get it.

Reaction Score

I agree on the travelling comment. I watched that game, and a number of players had major foot shuffling with the ball in their hands at the 3 point arc. I thought Liv looked really good, like she certainly belongs, and Lou has found her home at last.

Reaction Score
She played the 5 at UCONN out of necessity. She was always a 4. I admire her for her sacrifice and staying and accepting the challenge.
4's can shoot. There is no evidence, to date, that ONO can shoot (and her current mechanics make that unlikely). better to stay at the 5 until and if she can learn to shoot

Reaction Score
4's can shoot. There is no evidence, to date, that ONO can shoot (and her current mechanics make that unlikely). better to stay at the 5 until and if she can learn to shoot
Well...if you spent the prior 4 years practicing being a 5...are you surprised? Different footwork, floor position, offensive moves...just a different animal. Takes repetition. She isn't built for the WNBA 5.

Reaction Score
Well...if you spent the prior 4 years practicing being a 5...are you surprised? Different footwork, floor position, offensive moves...just a different animal. Takes repetition. She isn't built for the WNBA 5.
True, but that doesn’t negate hookshot’s observation about her shooting issues. There are many 4s who can do everything Liv does around the basket and that can shoot as well.

Reaction Score

Orrrr, you could just say-Nice move by the rookie!

Reaction Score
True, but that doesn’t negate hookshot’s observation about her shooting issues. There are many 4s who can do everything Liv does around the basket and that can shoot as well.
But, my point is...they were trained to be 4s in college...not 5s. The last time liv was a 4...she was in hs. How many of those 4s...can play the WNBA 5? Not many..because...they either are built for it or aren't accustomed to scoring in that position with shots they don't normally take. You can't just take an outfielder and make them a shortstop either.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm not sure why all the criticism of Olivia. MANY players have gotten better in the WNBA. Both Nneka and A'ja have developed much better outside shots in the W. Parker also never really had a 3-point shot in college.

I see Liv a bit like Dearica Hamby (not the same type of player pe se) - in that DH is a borderline starter - comes off the bench and puts up really nice numbers and plays well. Could be a starter on many teams. I see Liv with that kind of potential.

She shot 27% from 3 and 67% from the FT line. She HAS those shots (especially the 3) - just needs to work on them a bit more. I think she has good potential and upside. Looking forward to see what she does. I hope she becomes more Hamby and less Charli Collier.

Reaction Score
I like the aggressive post move. It was agile if not quick. But quicker than what she did as a Husky. She also looks slight compared to the other bigs. The aggressiveness bodes well for her improvement.

Reaction Score
Well, that's not true.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
4's have to show they can consistently hit their outside shot, at least from inside the perimeter. 4's also have to show they can do a little movement without the ball, are decent at the foul line, can do some ball handling (at least from the elbow), and are a threat in transition. Liv didn't show any real shot until her last two years, has never had to move without the ball, has never shown much ball handling, and only had a foul shot the last year of varsity. But in this video I can see she can still go to her right, bring the ball down to her waist, and hook (chicken wing) her defender, although she didn't show really good footwork until her last year and a half at UConn. She has the size and athleticism to make a team in the "W", but to remain there she'll need improvement in all of those areas I've mentioned. To say she "she was always a 4" is just not so. That she always had the potential to be a 4, maybe.

Reaction Score
4's have to show they can consistently hit their outside shot, at least from inside the perimeter. 4's also have to show they can do a little movement without the ball, are decent at the foul line, can do some ball handling (at least from the elbow), and are a threat in transition. Liv didn't show any real shot until her last two years, has never had to move without the ball, has never shown much ball handling, and only had a foul shot the last year of varsity. But in this video I can see she can still go to her right, bring the ball down to her waist, and hook (chicken wing) her defender, although she didn't show really good footwork until her last year and a half at UConn. She has the size and athleticism to make a team in the "W", but to remain there she'll need improvement in all of those areas I've mentioned. To say she "she was always a 4" is just not so. That she always had the potential to be a 4, maybe.
You think she was recruited out of HS with the mindset that she was the next 5 for UCONN for 4 years? I don't. That's why I use the terminology that she was always a 4. She certainly wasn't 1-3. And not built to play 5. If UCONN had a 5 for her 4 years, then a lot of the development she needs now...would have already taken place.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You think she was recruited out of HS with the mindset that she was the next 5 for UCONN for 4 years? I don't. That's why I use the terminology that she was always a 4. She certainly wasn't 1-3. And not built to play 5. If UCONN had a 5 for her 4 years, then a lot of the development she needs now...would have already taken place.
Being a 4 in your mind and being one in actuality are two different things. In my mind I'm 6'4" but in reality I'm 5'6". Does that make me right or does that make me delusional? So you're saying Liv's development at a shooter was delayed by playing the 4 in college? I know it's hard to believe, but most 4's can shoot (and foul shooting is generally a great indicator of shooting potential), move without the ball (a bit), have a little handle, work the off the break, and finish at the rim well before their freshman year. Watching Liv bring the ball down to her waist before finishing at the rim, and her poor foul shooting, those alone, for 4 years, tells me she wasn't a 4 at any time before college. What Geno said after her first few scrimmages is much more telling. He said that he wished she took practice more seriously. In my mind that didn't happen until after that year, and that includes seriously working on her shortcomings.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm not sure why all the criticism of Olivia. MANY players have gotten better in the WNBA. Both Nneka and A'ja have developed much better outside shots in the W. Parker also never really had a 3-point shot in college.

I see Liv a bit like Dearica Hamby (not the same type of player pe se) - in that DH is a borderline starter - comes off the bench and puts up really nice numbers and plays well. Could be a starter on many teams. I see Liv with that kind of potential.

She shot 27% from 3 and 67% from the FT line. She HAS those shots (especially the 3) - just needs to work on them a bit more. I think she has good potential and upside. Looking forward to see what she does. I hope she becomes more Hamby and less Charli Collier.
Yes, some players have improved considerably after college, and some do not. I would not say many. It's no secret that bigs take time to develop, and some don't really come to grips with the relationship between their agility, their athleticism, their diets, and their mindsets. Nevertheless the Association, both men's and women's, is littered with the failures of high potential players.

Reaction Score
Being a 4 in your mind and being one in actuality are two different things. In my mind I'm 6'4" but in reality I'm 5'6". Does that make me right or does that make me delusional? So you're saying Liv's development at a shooter was delayed by playing the 4 in college? I know it's hard to believe, but most 4's can shoot (and foul shooting is generally a great indicator of shooting potential), move without the ball (a bit), have a little handle, work the off the break, and finish at the rim well before their freshman year. Watching Liv bring the ball down to her waist before finishing at the rim, and her poor foul shooting, those alone, for 4 years, tells me she wasn't a 4 at any time before college. What Geno said after her first few scrimmages is much more telling. He said that he wished she took practice more seriously. In my mind that didn't happen until after that year, and that includes seriously working on her shortcomings.
I think you're misreading what I said. Her skillset out of HS was a 4. If not, what was it? A 5? There are plenty of centers in college that bring the ball down below their waist. It's something they probably got away with at the hs level. I never said she played the 4 in college. She didn't, thus her starting from a different level at the WNBA level. I don't know what she did in practice, but I do know what she did in games...and it didn't involve a lot of skills needed at the 4. You can't improve on skills that you don't use. In any case, do you think she was recruited to play the 5? Admittedly, it's been awhile since I've looked at any of her hs video, but I don't recall ever getting the vibe that she was a center or had center skills. I think she'll be fine given the time. I think some folks underestimate her contribution and sacrifices.

She played the 5 at UCONN out of necessity. That's what I said.

Reaction Score
I certainly hope she creates a space for herself in the league. If there was ever a moment to reinvent herself, find new skills, hone old ones, this is it. As a 4, she’d have good size, but needs better face-up skills, driving, handles, and just generally quicker feet. And the league could make good use of her in promotional spots — she’s charming, beautiful, and graciously untattooed.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think you're misreading what I said. Her skillset out of HS was a 4. If not, what was it? A 5? There are plenty of centers in college that bring the ball down below their waist. It's something they probably got away with at the hs level. I never said she played the 4 in college. She didn't, thus her starting from a different level at the WNBA level. I don't know what she did in practice, but I do know what she did in games...and it didn't involve a lot of skills needed at the 4. You can't improve on skills that you don't use. In any case, do you think she was recruited to play the 5? Admittedly, it's been awhile since I've looked at any of her hs video, but I don't recall ever getting the vibe that she was a center or had center skills. I think she'll be fine given the time. I think some folks underestimate her contribution and sacrifices.

She played the 5 at UCONN out of necessity. That's what I said.
My conceit is her skill set wasn't a 4, even in high school. She had athleticism and ran the floor well. Where do you see a 4's skill set in her? She had a terrible shot, couldn't hit FT's. didn't have much of a handle, I could go on and on. In H.S. she played the 5. In college she played the 5 because in reality, her small skill set was at the 5, although she never really had the bulk or the footwork. Yes, I believe Geno recruited her at the 5.

There aren't plenty of forwards that bring the ball below their waist before 95% of their layups. Please give me any example. I'll wait. Now Ice is a prime example of a tall player recruited by Geno as a 4. Not Liv.

Reaction Score
My conceit is her skill set wasn't a 4, even in high school. She had athleticism and ran the floor well. Where do you see a 4's skill set in her? She had a terrible shot, couldn't hit FT's. didn't have much of a handle, I could go on and on. In H.S. she played the 5. In college she played the 5 because in reality, her small skill set was at the 5, although she never really had the bulk or the footwork. Yes, I believe Geno recruited her at the 5.

There aren't plenty of forwards that bring the ball below their waist before 95% of their layups. Please give me any example. I'll wait. Now Ice is a prime example of a tall player recruited by Geno as a 4. Not Liv.
All these things you said she didn't have...isn't college where you expect to improve on them? Everyone isn't a good FT shooter...even some guards. If you're a forward...and you want to get to the basket you put the ball on the floor. Key from TN often brings the ball down low and she's a natural center. It's a bad habit, not a skill! Making the person a center...doesn't instantly change that mindset. And all forwards do not rely on jumpshots. You said she had athleticism. She was a leaper. She blocked a lot of shots, but on offense, against bulkier (not even taller...aka Aneesa Morrow) she had trouble rebounding and boxing out. Right height...wrong build. You said she ran the floor well. I don't even see where she would get to use that skill much in UCONN"s offense while playing the 5. We'll have to disagree the intent of her recruitment. Last true 5s I can remember at UCONN are Dolson and Stokes. That's a long gap.

She reminds me of Shakira Austin who was used as a center at MD and left because she felt she was a forward. She became a different player and her skills vastly improved in a different position and offense. Angel Reese also left MD. I think she expected to play forward, but with no real center...she played a lot of center. I don't see her as becoming some knockdown 4, but her athleticism is put to better use than being stuck under the basket.

Reaction Score
She's listed as a PF here. Playing Center on defense against smaller players. She's the tallest player. Lot of cuts from the wing on offense. I think I saw one back to the basket offensive move, lots of dribble drives.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom