Nice comeback | The Boneyard

Nice comeback

Reaction Score
We have weird mix of players and I really don't know if any of them will be a big part of the future. I see roles for a few of them but as 4th & 5th options mainly.

Reaction Score
In one of the TV shots when Hurley was trying to rally the bench, Adams seemed totally disinterested and looked like he was in pain. Gilbert made some bad decisions in the second half, which I don't think were related to his injury. I will cut him some slack, but I would not rely on him to build a team around. I will not be surprised if we don't see Adams play again.

Reaction Score
In one of the TV shots when Hurley was trying to rally the bench, Adams seemed totally disinterested and looked like he was in pain. Gilbert made some bad decisions in the second half, which I don't think were related to his injury. I will cut him some slack, but I would not rely on him to build a team around. I will not be surprised if we don't see Adams play again.
Gilbert also made the big plays to bring us back. He's our one major talent, injuries have been the only thing holding him down.

Reaction Score
Tired of hearing this. The comebacks are meaningless. Fix the starts to the second half

I'll take fixing the ends to the second half. We had a lead with 5 minutes to go and couldn't finish the job.

These guys just don't know how to win. Talk about the culture all you want, we still don't have a culture of winning.

Reaction Score
Loved the fight at times, other times we looked like a JV team. The reality is Cinci almost lost that game more so than we almost won it. Our defense was fine, our defensive rebounding was pathetic, and we still forced him some ugly shots luckily the refs bailed us out with a few fouls

Reaction Score
This makes me crazy....another horrible call or lack thereof at a crucial time for us.....
Screenshot_20190224-164606_Chrome.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gilbert made some bad decisions in the second half, which I don't think were related to his injury. I will cut him some slack, but I would not rely on him to build a team around.

With potential injury concerns, I get that, but as far as a playing goes, he's ahead of most freshman PGs in UCONN history. Which is really what he is. He's only got 30 games under his belt.

And he's playing with complete garbage. Imagine him being able to pass to Ben Gordon, Rashad Anderson, and Emeka Okafor.

Reaction Score
Gilbert would look totally different if he had a better team around him. Same thing we've said about Jalen Adams for the last 3 years.

The bottom line is (oh no, I sound like Dick Vitale!) the program needs better talent. For most of the game it was a struggle to score because there just aren't that many players on the team who have high level Division 1 offensive skills.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gilbert would look totally different if he had a better team around him. Same thing we've said about Jalen Adams for the last 3 years.

And I think Gilbert even more so than Adams, given the style of his game.

And as I said above, he's only got 30 games under his belt. He's effectively a freshman PG experience-wise.

Reaction Score
Why can’t Cobb play this good all the time. It’s like he only shows up and plays 100% effort in big games.

Reaction Score

The bottom line is (oh no, I sound like Dick Vitale!) the program needs better talent. For most of the game it was a struggle to score because there just aren't that many players on the team who have high level Division 1 offensive skills.
Talent isn't gonna come out of the sky. We've landed 3 solid recruits primarily because of Hurley's momentum as new coach at a top b-ball brand school but if he doesn't start get results with those guys recruits will look elsewhere. Talent wants to play with other talent.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The team plays better when they do not feel any pressure to win.

Which is why the comebacks happen and why the comebacks never result in a win.

They poked their nose in front at 51-50 and immediately gave up a 9-4 run. Hurley is going to have to turn over some of the roster to get kids who don’t go weak in the knees at the prospect of a fight.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
The team plays better when they do not feel any pressure to win.

Which is why the comebacks happen and why the comebacks never result in a win.

They poked their nose in front at 51-50 and immediately gave up a 9-4 run. Hurley is going to have to turn over some of the roster to get kids who don’t go weak in the knees at the prospect of a fight.
Rebuilding this program-
Step 1- Teach players that basketball is fun when you play for 40 min like you want to win.
Step 2- Upgrade talent
Step 3- Learn how to win close games

We are still in the middle of Step 1.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rebuilding this program-
Step 1- Teach players that basketball is fun when you play for 40 min like you want to win.
Step 2- Upgrade talent
Step 3- Learn how to win close games

We are still in the middle of Step 1.

Step 1 is not a thing in Division I basketball.

Step 2 will take care of Step 3.

Right now, we just have the wrong horses. I suspect the right horses are starting to arrive in September.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Step 1 is not a thing in Division I basketball.

Step 2 will take care of Step 3.

Right now, we just have the wrong horses. I suspect the right horses are starting to arrive in September.
Step 1 shouldn't be a thing in Division 1 basketball, but unfortunately I think it was for this program.
This team was not having fun nor was competitive with halfway decent competition until Hurley.
I saw Josh Carlton get more fired up today, alone, than all of last season.
Step 2 will take care of step 3 after some time.

Reaction Score
When you have Gilbert, Gaffney, Bouknight, Akok and Wilson in UConn uniforms together, things will start to get better, but it still will be a 2 to 3 year process.

Hurley is digging out of a big hole. Many didn't want to hear that, but its the truth.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
When you have Gilbert, Gaffney, Bouknight, Akok and Wilson in UConn uniforms together, things will start to get better, but it still will be a 2 to 3 year process.

Hurley is digging out of a big hole. Many didn't want to hear that, but its the truth.
I certainly didn't realize how big the hole was, especially after Cuse in November.
I thought my 19-12 preseason prediction was conservative. Luckily, we are seeing things change, and that's before Hurley filters out ponies for horses.

Reaction Score
I certainly didn't realize how big the hole was, especially after Cuse in November.
I thought my 19-12 preseason prediction was conservative. Luckily, we are seeing things change, and that's before Hurley filters out ponies for horses.
Current theoretically healthyish players who can get some minutes on a winning college team:

Gilbert
Vital
Wilson
Polley
Carlton

Of that group, who would be getting some minutes on a traditionally good UConn team:

Gilbert
Vital
(I think of Wilson as freshmen Daniels or some of our other talented kids who didn't get right in)

Of that group, who would be getting good minutes on a traditionally good UConn team:

100% healthy Gilbert.

This is why we suck.

Reaction Score
Current theoretically healthyish players who can get some minutes on a winning college team:

Gilbert
Vital
Wilson
Polley
Carlton

Of that group, who would be getting some minutes on a traditionally good UConn team:

Gilbert
Vital
(I think of Wilson as freshmen Daniels or some of our other talented kids who didn't get right in)

Of that group, who would be getting good minutes on a traditionally good UConn team:

100% healthy Gilbert.

This is why we suck.

Wilson has great promise, but right now he is way more of an athlete than a basketball player. Talent wise, he shoud be in the conversation though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom