Nice article on MA commit Sylva | The Boneyard

Nice article on MA commit Sylva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Thats the winning quote right there and we didn't see itenough with RE. He wasn't able to sell the great setup we have to kids for some reason. PP is making it quickly a huge selling point.

also-sounds like he had more offers from bcs schools, def a cuse offer to go along with the 1 other we know which is bc.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thats the winning quote right there and we didn't see itenough with RE. He wasn't able to sell the great setup we have to kids for some reason. PP is making it quickly a huge selling point.

True. Randy never stopped selling Randy. But who am I to question him? His way got him his dream job.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Over the last several years that's probably the quote "the facilities..." is the one I've seen the most coming from recruits.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Over the last several years that's probably the quote "the facilities..." is the one I've seen the most coming from recruits.

Yeah I think people are just piling on RE right now. While he was here, the facilities were definitely mentioned very often as one of the big draws for most recruits.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think people are just piling on RE right now. While he was here, the facilities were definitely mentioned very often as one of the big draws for most recruits.

Edsall had a very different approach to recruiting, it was "hey we have nice facilities, an up and comming program and you might be able to play early, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT".

I don't have a problem with that appraoch, but I understand that many kids are treated very differently when it comes to recruiting. These are 17 year old kids and you should see how Schiano approaches recruiting, Rutgers brings in highly rated recruits on official visits, they put them up in a very nice hotel in Times Square for 2 nights, all expenses paid.

Recruits get to bring 1 family member, they get chauffeured around Times Square in their own black caddie SUV with a big red R on the front door. A Rutgers player gets to join a recruit for the 2 days as a host, they can spend their own petty cash within limits with the recruit.

All the recruits on the official visit have a big dinner at Schiano's McMansion in Jersey with the works for food, then they visit the campus and stadium and then Rutgers talks about the academics, Rutgers is a fine school and IMO that should be touted first.

Then Schiano talks to these kids and tells them if you come here we'll win a national champion and these 17 year old kids that just got the royal treatment eat this all up.

Big difference huh?

Reaction Score
Edsall had a very different approach to recruiting, it was "hey we have nice facilities, an up and comming program and you might be able to play early, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT".

I don't have a problem with that appraoch, but I understand that many kids are treated very differently when it comes to recruiting. These are 17 year old kids and you should see how Schiano approaches recruiting, Rutgers brings in highly rated recruits on official visits, they put them up in a very nice hotel in Times Square for 2 nights, all expenses paid.

Recruits get to bring 1 family member, they get chauffeured around Times Square in their own black caddie SUV with a big red R on the front door. A Rutgers player gets to join a recruit for the 2 days as a host, they can spend their own petty cash within limits with the recruit.

All the recruits on the official visit have a big dinner at Schiano's McMansion in Jersey with the works for food, then they visit the campus and stadium and then Rutgers talks about the academics, Rutgers is a fine school and IMO that should be touted first.

Then Schiano talks to these kids and tells them if you come here we'll win a national champion and these 17 year old kids that just got the royal treatment eat this all up.

Big difference huh?
Times Square? Really? Not a Super8 in Piscataway?

Reaction Score
Schiano is doing a very good job of keeping good NJ recruits at home - he is not recruiting top players from outside the tri-state area (NJ, PA, and MD) to play there. In other words, the kids he is taking to NYC to supposedly be wined and dined are kids who could take the train there any day. What he is building is a place that NJ kids want to stay home and play for, and he should be applauded for that.

Reaction Score
Schiano is doing a very good job of keeping good NJ recruits at home - he is not recruiting top players from outside the tri-state area (NJ, PA, and MD) to play there. In other words, the kids he is taking to NYC to supposedly be wined and dined are kids who could take the train there any day. What he is building is a place that NJ kids want to stay home and play for, and he should be applauded for that.

I disagree, he's done well in VA and FL as well, as far as the kids who can take the train to NY, not many can stay in a Times Square hotel for 2 days. There are several collage coaches who report this to the NCAA as inappropriate, but because Rutgers is within the NCAA guidelines of a 30 miles radius to NYC, recruits can cross state lines on a official visit.

He is building a home for local talent to stay, but Rutgers's recruiting style is the closest thing to what the SEC does here up north.

Reaction Score
HAs of late he has been pulling in some good PA talent, even before the Penn State debacle. With Penn State, Pitt, and possibly MAryland issues, PA could be a feeding ground for an area school. Temple and Rutgers are reaping the benefits now. Hopefully UConn can get a good stronghold in PA also.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Usually in the context of "I didn't realize the what great facilities they had."

Reaction Score
According to the recruiting sites Schiano has done a great job bringing in talent. On the field they look like a mid-level Big East team to me and, in fact, that's where they tend to finish seasons.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a great kid. 4.7 forty.:rolleyes: If you watched the WVU blow out against Clemson the other night, there were plenty of 4.3--4.4 guys everywhere on both teams. Speed is the most important aspect for me between good teams and great ones. Hopefully he reacts really quickly.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a great kid. 4.7 forty.:rolleyes: If you watched the WVU blow out against Clemson the other night, there were plenty of 4.3--4.4 guys everywhere on both teams. Speed is the most important aspect for me between good teams and great ones. Hopefully he reacts really quickly.

Forget about college LB's......can you name me 3 NFL LB's with 4.3 or 4.4 speed?

Reaction Score
If he does run a 4.7, and that's a big if, that is plenty fast of an ILB.

These 40 times are mostly BS anyways. At one point about 1/2 the kids listed as backs and receivers on Rivals/Scout run 4.4 or under. Just total BS.

Reaction Score
I disagree, he's done well in VA and FL as well, as far as the kids who can take the train to NY, not many can stay in a Times Square hotel for 2 days. There are several collage coaches who report this to the NCAA as inappropriate, but because Rutgers is within the NCAA guidelines of a 30 miles radius to NYC, recruits can cross state lines on a official visit.

He is building a home for local talent to stay, but Rutgers's recruiting style is the closest thing to what the SEC does here up north.

Did you really just use RU and SEC in the same sentence, and not vomit up your lunch? Really?

According to the RU site, there are 2 kids on the roster from VA, neither of whom contributed. Everyone recruits in FL, period - although they have made a far better marketing push there than have we.

Do I think Schiano is a good recruiter? Yes, I do. Do I want to emulate their program in any way? No, I do not. I'm not here to debate Shady - I can do that on the RU site. If a kid wants to commit to RU because NYC is 45 minutes away and likely offers him many things he can not afford, have at it. I'd prefer kids who wanted to go to school at
UConn, play on the team, and make contruibutions to the university.

Reaction Score

Hell, I can't afford to stay at hotel on times square for 2 nights mid week, never mind weekends. Schiano can land recruits, no doubt. It would be interesting to see what he could do without the city that never sleeps as the main attraction.

Reaction Score
Did you really just use RU and SEC in the same sentence, and not vomit up your lunch? Really?

According to the RU site, there are 2 kids on the roster from VA, neither of whom contributed. Everyone recruits in FL, period - although they have made a far better marketing push there than have we.

Do I think Schiano is a good recruiter? Yes, I do. Do I want to emulate their program in any way? No, I do not. I'm not here to debate Shady - I can do that on the RU site. If a kid wants to commit to RU because NYC is 45 minutes away and likely offers him many things he can not afford, have at it. I'd prefer kids who wanted to go to school at
UConn, play on the team, and make contruibutions to the university.

I don't know what your issue is, I never compared Rutgers to an SEC school, just their recruiting practices, a bit shady IMO.

When I commented in VA, I should have been more clear, they recruit both Hargrave and FUMA in VA very well. I never said that Uconn should recruit in the same manner, the information I provided was just to shed light on how different Rutgers recruits compared to Uconn. You obviously have issues with Rutgers and it comes out in your writing, and I really don't care, just don't make assumptions based on information that you read.

Reaction Score
Wow, this is a big win. I was certain he was going to follow in his fathers footsteps and committ to Boston State.

Reaction Score
Hell, I can't afford to stay at hotel on times square for 2 nights mid week, never mind weekends. Schiano can land recruits, no doubt. It would be interesting to see what he could do without the city that never sleeps as the main attraction.

Imagine the impact he made with recruits when he used to land his helicopter on a recruits high school field, glad the ncaa took that away. He's all about showmanship, all style but little substance.

On a side note, Schiano admitted the coach P and Uconn have made BIG strides in NJ recruiting, Uconn keeps comming up with NJ kids as a possible destination and they are concerned.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Wow, this is a big win. I was certain he was going to follow in his fathers footsteps and committ to Boston State.
that makes it even better. icing on the cake.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
Usually in the context of "I didn't realize the what great facilities they had."

Yeah, emphasis on HAD, as in they didn't previously know about our facilities. As in Prior Knowledge of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom