Nice article from TN newspaper on Candace | The Boneyard

Nice article from TN newspaper on Candace

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know I hadn't really thought about it but being a wife and mother might make things more difficult for her to always be playing at her potential (more responsibility, other things on her mind). I think she is the only one on the team. Right?

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
You know I hadn't really thought about it but being a wife and mother might make things more difficult for her to always be playing at her potential (more responsibility, other things on her mind). I think she is the only one on the team. Right?

Can't answer your question but I had the same thought about Candace juggling her responsibilities. She was doing a post-game interview a couple of games before the final and the reporter mentioned her daughter and how she had fallen asleep in the third quarter. Candace's reply? "That's because she was up all night and kept me up with her."

It really hit me then that she has to balance competing responsibilities and that must be tough.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Can't answer your question but I had the same thought about Candace juggling her responsibilities. She was doing a post-game interview a couple of games before the final and the reporter mentioned her daughter and how she had fallen asleep in the third quarter. Candace's reply? "That's because she was up all night and kept me up with her."

It really hit me then that she has to balance competing responsibilities and that must be tough.
That most certainly can explain a great deal.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I find it really interesting how the media portrays players like Candace who have children. Very rarely do you hear about male players' kids keeping them up at night before a game. And yet I'm sure at least some of the players' wives work as well...yet you never hear about them having to balance home life and family life. It's usually mentioned only in connection to female athletes.

Her daughter isn't an infant, and as far as I know her husband was at the Olympics, wasn't he? Is it normal for Olympic athletes to stay with their families during the tournament? Not being snarky, just curious...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I find it really interesting how the media portrays players like Candace who have children. Very rarely do you hear about male players' kids keeping them up at night before a game. And yet I'm sure at least some of the players' wives work as well...yet you never hear about them having to balance home life and family life. It's usually mentioned only in connection to female athletes.

It's an interesting question. Certainly I worked full-time and spent an enormous amount of time caring for my children during their early months, including in the middle of the night. And it absolutely did impact my job performance, especially when I had both a 19-month old and a newborn.

With regards to male athletes, I think the assumption is they make enough money that they're absolved from such responsibilities. And there's an expectation (even if it's false) that the mother is the one that's hands on. Men are not judged as being less of a father if they sleep through the night and support their families, whereas women are judged as mothers based on the time spent with their kids. It's a double-standard, but it's reality.

For me, I decided there was a time to be aggressive in my career and a time to be passable in my career while I diverted energy and focus to my children. My feeling was the early years represented time with them I'd never get back. However, my profession allowed for me to flexible that way. A world-class athlete only has a limited window of time to be world-class and earn a world-class salary.

The quandary of the timing of when to have kids is one that working women have to deal with, and if your job is to play a sport, the challenge is magnified.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Her daughter isn't an infant, and as far as I know her husband was at the Olympics, wasn't he? Is it normal for Olympic athletes to stay with their families during the tournament? Not being snarky, just curious...
I think it varies a lot by sport and team. USA basketball (Men and Women) were at the same hotel and I am sure there were not bed checks. But then you have a Brazil star being sent home for having her boyfriend along if I remember correctly.
There was one game where they showed Sheldon with Lailaa asleep on his lap and he looked absolutely exhausted.
And 3 year olds can be even more demanding than babies - as in I WANT MOMMY!!! and not accepting "but she is sleeping right now" for an answer.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah. I just can't even imagine Lebron saying he was tired because his kid kept him up. And if he did, the media would jump all over that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yeah. I just can't even imagine Lebron saying he was tired because his kid kept him up. And if he did, the media would jump all over that.
LeBron is considered a good dad if he knows the name of his kid's/kids' mother/s and is involved in their lives at all beyond sending court-ordered money.

Now Roger Federer regularly travels all over with his wife and twin girls in tow. But they bring a nanny along as well.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Just to clarify (if even needed) - Candace made the comment with a big smile on her face. There wasn't the slightest hint of a complaint or excuse. She was being interviewed because she did well that game.

Reaction Score
One thing that struck me about Candace...quite aside from the up and down play...was how positive and focused she seemed. Geno's charm apparently works on everyone...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One thing that struck me about Candace...quite aside from the up and down play...was how positive and focused she seemed. Geno's charm apparently works on everyone...
Yes, and not just with Candace but with everyone on the team. I did not see any shots of the bench where any team member was not totally connected to the action and the rest of the team. Same went for practice video and pictures. (Well, OK, at the end of blow outs there were some shots of bench folks celebrating amongst themselves and not being totally involved in the action on the court!)
I really liked the shots of various players coming off the court intensely talking about specific plays that had just occurred - there was a great one of Candace and Dee in the last game. I think in that last game three of Dee's assists went to Candace and she return the favor once or twice.

Reaction Score
Yes, and not just with Candace but with everyone on the team. I did not see any shots of the bench where any team member was not totally connected to the action and the rest of the team. Same went for practice video and pictures. (Well, OK, at the end of blow outs there were some shots of bench folks celebrating amongst themselves and not being totally involved in the action on the court!)
I really liked the shots of various players coming off the court intensely talking about specific plays that had just occurred - there was a great one of Candace and Dee in the last game. I think in that last game three of Dee's assists went to Candace and she return the favor once or twice.

I have to say the ladies seem a lot more comfortable with each other than their fans do...my favorite quote was from Catch...whom I like a lot..."We all grow up!"...well, some of us...

Reaction Score
LeBron is considered a good dad if he knows the name of his kid's/kids' mother/s and is involved in their lives at all beyond sending court-ordered money.

Now Roger Federer regularly travels all over with his wife and twin girls in tow. But they bring a nanny along as well.

Really?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Really?
Never let the facts get in the way of a stereotype:

James proposed to Savannah Brinson, his high school sweetheart, on December 31, 2011 at a party celebrating New Year's Eve and his 27th birthday.[233] The two were married on September 14, 2013 in San Diego.[234] Together, they have three children: LeBron James Jr. (born October 6, 2004),[235] Bryce Maximus James (born June 14, 2007),[236] and Zhuri James.[237]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe Candace is only Mother that in contention for Olympic basketball slot. Her daughter Lailaa is seven years old now and reportedly speaks better Russia than English because of all the time spent overseas. She will have more responsibility than other players but this (Daughter) is something she been managing through at least one Olympics before.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Phil Mickelson is widely known as being a devoted husband and father. When his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, his game suffered. He actually took a leave of absence to take care of her and the kids. The press fell all over itself talking about what a great, caring person he is.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

lebron-family.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Not being snarky either, I actually don't know the answer to your question. I don't think this double standard is unique to Candace, nor do I think the media is overly inflaming it. I have heard the same thing from female executive in my industry-Aerospace seems like forever now.

Reaction Score

T

You have to know that it is NOT a sin or crime to hire Nannies and have them take the daily care till Mommie and/or Daddy gets home?? Why make all those bucks if you can't use them where they are most useful??

Women as well as men make use of Nannies and very successfully.. And that "court ordered money" would you be happy if he paid nothing for the kids he created?? In this case, the court is only making sure the kids are cared for--I don't know but I doubt that was necessary.

Reaction Score
No insult intended but: A few comments tend to sound as if men care little or nothing about their off springs. There are excellent mothers and excellent Dads. While traveling mothers have cares about their kids--why think that men don't too? Yes there are biological fathers who pop em and run--and there are terrible moms too. I tend to believe that most men and women if given the choice would be home with the kids. I traveled a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom