NH Register: No decision until Dec. 1 | The Boneyard

NH Register: No decision until Dec. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I honestly don't know if I can make it through another few weeks. It's been bad since the first rumblings of realignment started in the summer of 2010, but this is certainly the most dire it's ever been for UConn.

Everytime I refresh the Boneyard or Twitter, I'm bracing myself for Source: Louisville to accept ACC invite and with that, effectively ruining the greatest passion I have in life.

Reaction Score
This really is a precarious position we're in. There are so many ways for this to go wrong. For example, what if the Big 12 decides to add Florida State and Louisville and stops expanding now that they'd be back to 12? The ACC would probably decide not to expand since it would be hard to find another school besides us to get to 14. So they'd stay at 12 too, and everyone who voted against the exit fee would be gone. Even if more teams wanted to leave they might have a hard time doing so since they voted for the exit fee. So another spot might never open. And with all the new western teams going back to the Mountain West, the Big East would be really bad.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This really is a precarious position we're in. There are so many ways for this to go wrong. For example, what if the Big 12 decides to add Florida State and Louisville and stops expanding now that they'd be back to 12? The ACC would probably decide not to expand since it would be hard to find another school besides us to get to 14. So they'd stay at 12 too, and everyone who voted against the exit fee would be gone. Even if more teams wanted to leave they might have a hard time doing so since they voted for the exit fee. So another spot might never open. And with all the new western teams going back to the Mountain West, the Big East would be really bad.
SDSU said the ESPN report was inaccurate. Have no idea about BS.

Reaction Score
The thing is, expansion is going to keep happening. It's gonna be around for a long while. So, even if we don't go to the ACC now, there's a good chance another conference wanting the NY/CT/MA market would pick us up down the line. UConn may not be a great football school right now, but we're still a national brand.

Reaction Score
UL is telling WVU, who is lobbying on their behalf to the B12, that UCONN is the ACC's choice. -- The Dude of WV (@theDudeofWV)

Reaction Score
The DEC 1 timeframe or slightly later makes total sense. And I guess Pudge's suggestion that Swofford rules the ACC by Fiat is false.

The ACC got shot in the face today. The Big East is used to having days like this, so I am sure they know the drill.

Swofford and Co. may have thought they could add a Louisville or UConn really fast and then promptly get the heck out of the news cycle, but that is simply not the case.

Just from reading a multitude of reports and quotes from various school officials and coaches. FSU and a few others are clearly looking for an explanation. I think they want to see how Maryland really does extricate themselves from the conference.

A few schools definitely are not going to let Swofford just ram another Notre Dame down their throats. I think that he will have more adult supervision. This could mean nothing or everything for us.

Today, Coach K openly wondered if UConn or Louisville would have been a better addition than Notre Dame. An FSU official referred to us as a "rumor". That's not enough to draw any conclusions.

So yeah, DEC 1. The members will convene, discuss, argue and perhaps vote one or more schools in. They may decide that we can join the ACC, but they will not decide our fate.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the ACC responds immediately, it looks prepared and decisive. If it waits, it looks paralyzed with internal dissent. Optically, the right move is to add UConn immediately. It is not like they are going to learn anything new about Louisville or UConn in the next week and a half that they don't already know.

UConn is the obvious favorite, so the longer the decision making process drags out, the more likely it is that a different school is picked. We need a quick decision by the ACC.

F

fortebleedsblue

If the ACC responds immediately, it looks prepared and decisive. If it waits, it looks paralyzed with internal dissent. Optically, the right move is to add UConn immediately. It is not like they are going to learn anything new about Louisville or UConn in the next week and a half that they don't already know.

UConn is the obvious favorite, so the longer the decision making process drags out, the more likely it is that a different school is picked. We need a quick decision by the ACC.

Agree 100% .... Uconn was said to be THE school.... Louisville wasn't even thought of period. The longer this takes the more likely Uconn will be watching from a distance. Contrary to what has been previously said and our own biased opinion of UConn I don't think the ACC has a strong interest in our program. We can blame BCU all we want but Uconn was over looked in the Cuse Pitt round, then ignored when begging to get a seat after, only to have the ACC roll out the red carpet for ND's leaching program and now they take a left hook to the face and are feeling things out? I think the answer is right in front of us.... The interest just isn't there.... With an unproven bball coach, sanctions, garbage football hire and results Uconn isn't a sexy choice. Perception is reality... The longer this takes the less in Uconn's favor. We see WVU fans pushing for ville to the big 12 then you see fsu and Clemson fans openingly pushing for ville to acc. Who's seeing a heavy push for Uconn outside of ct?

Reaction Score
UL is telling WVU, who is lobbying on their behalf to the B12, that UCONN is the ACC's choice. -- The Dude of WV (@theDudeofWV)
UofL could be in a better spot if true... Uconn is relegated to one of the five additions the be just added. Desperate addition to a sinking conference.

Reaction Score
This is just some sad, scary stuff. Not just for uconn but for all the programs that could be left out of the big conferences. CT is a tiny state, and it was always gonna be an uphill climb with a struggling football team to find a new home.

I have to say im a little disappointed in Jimmy for this. He's totally entitled to his retirement after all he's done, but I always assumed he'd be the coach until we settled somewhere. If he's still the head coach, I have to believe this would be an easier choice for the ACC. We look weak right now, at a bad time.

Reaction Score
This is just some sad, scary stuff. Not just for uconn but for all the programs that could be left out of the big conferences. CT is a tiny state, and it was always gonna be an uphill climb with a struggling football team to find a new home.

I have to say im a little disappointed in Jimmy for this. He's totally entitled to his retirement after all he's done, but I always assumed he'd be the coach until we settled somewhere. If he's still the head coach, I have to believe this would be an easier choice for the ACC. We look weak right now, at a bad time.
Despite the public throwing out every current top 25 team as a potential target because of current success, that's not the case. Schools need to bring something to the table.
Every school has its up and downs. Academics, location, brand, and markets will drive the decision process.
Uconn is a top 20 land grant university located between two of the countries biggest markets which has proven it will invest in it athletics department. The only knock is uconn's FB history doesn't translate into 'tradition' as defined by the big boys.
Uconn will be fine.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't know if I can make it through another few weeks. It's been bad since the first rumblings of realignment started in the summer of 2010, but this is certainly the most dire it's ever been for UConn.

Everytime I refresh the Boneyard or Twitter, I'm bracing myself for Source: Louisville to accept ACC invite and with that, effectively ruining the greatest passion I have in life.

I understand your concern, and I don't want to get passed over either, but this wouldn't be the death knell of this school. Schools have succeeded in worse situations before. Boise State in football. Memphis in basketball. You don't NEED a big conference to win. Passion and dedication go a long way.

F

fortebleedsblue

Agree 100% .... Uconn was said to be THE school.... Louisville wasn't even thought of period. The longer this takes the more likely Uconn will be watching from a distance. Contrary to what has been previously said and our own biased opinion of UConn I don't think the ACC has a strong interest in our program. We can blame BCU all we want but Uconn was over looked in the Cuse Pitt round, then ignored when begging to get a seat after, only to have the ACC roll out the red carpet for ND's leaching program and now they take a left hook to the face and are feeling things out? I think the answer is right in front of us.... The interest just isn't there.... With an unproven bball coach, sanctions, garbage football hire and results Uconn isn't a sexy choice. Perception is reality... The longer this takes the less in Uconn's favor. We see WVU fans pushing for ville to the big 12 then you see fsu and Clemson fans openingly pushing for ville to acc. Who's seeing a heavy push for Uconn outside of ct?

I take this back.... I was depressed by all the fans proclaiming ville as savior .. I now realize they are ville trolls spamming

Reaction Score
I may be naive, but you have to think the Presidents of the ACC schools do care about academics.....advantage UConn. I may be wrong, but if the Presidents then decide to analyze the impact on TV and regional markets.........advantage UConn. I do share in everyone's angst as this has not been a fun year to be a UConn fan but if I believed everything I have read the past few days and never saw a down of college football, I would think that Louisville was on par with Alabama. The good news is I have watched a few downs of college footall and Louisville is not even close to the Alabama's of this landscape......advantage UConn.

Does anyone for a minute think that if the ACC does invite Louisville, that FSU will be content and say no when the Big 12 comes calling??????

Reaction Score
At least we are keeping our desparation centralized to the BY. I really can't believe the ACC would take Louisville. They are a nice little program but do not gel with any of the ACC's culture and standards. It would be a hell of a time to decide academics matter squat and base there pick off one good season of beating up on primarily cupcakes.

Reaction Score
After we were raided I think it was at least a few weeks before we added teams, and I wouldn't expect the ACC to act any faster. Presumably the ACC has discussed the possibility of needing to add teams but they still need to sit down and make an official decision.

Reaction Score
Does anyone for a minute think that if the ACC does invite Louisville, that FSU will be content and say no when the Big 12 comes calling??????
No, of course not. But what I do think is that the ACC is desperate enough to keep their big football programs that they might throw them a bone here if it's going to increase their odds by even 1%. The ACC sees the writing on the wall. They're the next target for poachers. And if FSU ends up leaving anyway, they can always come back to us...it's not like we're headed anywhere else.

I've said it before, Connecticut is like the surefire booty call they can go after when they've exhausted all the sexier options.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They rejected WVU, which is stronger in almost all respects than Louisville. Much, much better football, still very strong basketball, with a coach in Huggins that isn't going anywhere. Plus it's a a flagship state U (albeit from a lowly regarded state) and has better academics than Louisville. It was also contiguous to the ACC footprint and a natural rival for both VA schools and Pitt. And they were shot down on academics. Louisville has no chance. That's why Pitino is out screaming at the world.

I also think there is no chance that FSU leaves anytime soon. I'm not convinced that the Big XII really wants to go play in the SEC's sandbox in Florida. The people in the Big XII never liked the WVU add because it stretched too far east, but they were desperate to get to 10 due to the contract. FSU president and faculty do not want to downgrade academically to the Big XII. Louisville is a possible for the Big XII, they need to decide whether WVU should stay an outlier or not. Westward expansion makes more sense, and Louisville and Cinci are the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
If I'm the ACC, I take UConn, Louisville and Cincy and declare victory. They can't go wrong. They'll have 16 all sports schools, they get the best basketball and football that the current Big East can offer.

Reaction Score
They rejected WVU, which is stronger in almost all respects than Louisville. Much, much better football, still very strong basketball, with a coach in Huggins that isn't going anywhere. Plus it's a a flagship state U (albeit from a lowly regarded state) and has better academics than Louisville. It was also contiguous to the ACC footprint and a natural rival for both VA schools and Pitt. And they were shot down on academics. Louisville has no chance. That's why Pitino is out screaming at the world.

I also think there is no chance that FSU leaves anytime soon. I'm not convinced that the Big XII really wants to go play in the SEC's sandbox in Florida. The people in the Big XII never liked the WVU add because it stretched too far east, but they were desperate to get to 10 due to the contract. FSU president and faculty do not want to downgrade academically to the Big XII. Louisville is a possible for the Big XII, they need to decide whether WVU should stay an outlier or not. Westward expansion makes more sense, and Louisville and Cinci are the wrong direction.

You make a lot of good points about the ACC not taking WVU for academic reasons. That should leave us feeling pretty good about an ACC invite. There's literally nothing Louisville can offer than WVU didn't offer more of and they didn't want WVU, despite having some very legitimate rivalries with Pitt, VTech, and Maryland who was ACC at the time.

I don't quite agree with you about FSU not wanting to go to the B12 for academic reasons. If FSU thinks they're academically superior to the B12 they're delusional. While there's some weaker schools there, the better B12 schools are quite a bit better than FSU.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If I'm the ACC, I take UConn, Louisville and Cincy and declare victory. They can't go wrong. They'll have 16 all sports schools, they get the best basketball and football that the current Big East can offer.

There is some merit to this. I have read some articles that referenced Delany's belief that taking MD and Rutgers not only opened up new markets but alleviated concern that PSU was isolated by Pitt, Cuse, MD and Rutgers on 4 sides. If the ACC takes Cinci, L'ville and UConn, the put a team in SEC territory, a team in B1G territory and counter Rutgers with UConn. L'ville and Cinci may not fir the ACC profile and taking 3 now sends the message that the ACC accepts that it will never get ND as a full member.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Until the SEC added Texas A&M, everyone assumed that 12 was the max number of teams for a conference. There is no max. All that matters is can the conference get more powerful and make more money? That could mean 14 or 18 or 24 teams.

Reaction Score
The ACC has to figure out where they are going as a league first. They never expected this to happen! They have always been the acquirer in the past and not the league raided. They felt impervious to it, especially after adding ND, which they thought was a real coup at the time, and then boosting the exit fee to $50 mil, they thought there was no way anyone would ever want, or could afford, to leave them!

So they have to look inward first and decide who they want to be and where they want to go. Do they appease the conference football powers? If so, Louisville is hardly a huge acquisition, though better at the moment than us. Still, not enough to keep an FSU or Clemson happy in the long run. So whether it's UConn or Louisville, do the FB powers run to another conference? Fifty mil is a lot of money...and those schools don't have the owner of UA waiting to help write the check, as MD does. Additioanlly, with the short-term boost to football comes the reality that by adding L'ville, they will definitely be negatively impacting the academics of the conference. This is not to be taken lightly either. The ACC flaunts their members academics whenever they can.

Market-wise, UConn seems a better fit. Louisville wouldn't do much in terms of bringing a large new market to the ACC. UConn would though, and it is the last piece of the NY market puzzle as well. They've got Syracuse, but Rutgers is gone now. Why leave the last piece on the table for the B1G?

If you are primarily looking at on-field performance and the status of the potential member's premier teams today, you can understand why the fans, bloggers, trolls and spammers are routing for L'ville today. However, it is only about today, as just 18-24 months ago, UConn was clearly the superior choice! Short-term success comes and goes and is not anything to base a long-term decision on! I think the presidents of the schools involved realize that too. So I differ from some on here who think that with the passage of time, UConn's chances go down. I feel they go up! When the flow of emotion is stemmed, logic takes over and UConn fits the ACC model and looks like a much better fit than Louisville!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The ACC doesn't want to have Loser Sex and a Rejection this soon?

Just postponing the inevitable. They got dumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104