NFLer John Moffitt walks away

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm a fan and I completely understand.

Reaction Score
Reading that you get the impression his head is screwed on straight. Amazing he could walk away, but good for him for doing right by his heart.

Reaction Score
He went to Notre Dame High School in West Haven. Played well and started for Seattle for a couple years.
1 or 2-star player by the way according to Rivals and Scout. He was actually very good for Seattle.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think it is quite so amazing that he could walk away.

He probably took real stock in his life. The NFL Pension plan doesn't vest for 5 years. and He is a 2 1/2 year backup lineman who probably would not see the end of season 5. Given that, his priorities changed and instead of being cut and holding on to this dream, he goes out on his terms and shifts his focus to other dreams with his squash in tact. He probably has more than enough money saved away and while he may not be a millionaire, he's probably about half way there. That's a great start for a 25 year old. Besides that, he said that being a Net millionaire is not that important...and it isn't if he feels he wouldn't have the faculties to spend it appropriately.

Good for him and just like everyone else, I wish him all the luck in the world for future endeavors.

Reaction Score
You guys should check out the Real Rob Report on youtube. Over the last few years, Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson produces a weekly videoblog peak into the Seattle locker room. A fun look into an NFL locker room with great bits like "Messing with Marshawn", "Russell Wilson sighting", etc. I mention it because Moffitt was one of the stars of the show - "Moffitt's Words of Wisdom". Dude is seriously funny.

When Moffitt got traded to Denver, Robinson put together a Moffitt highlights episode. Check it out, this guy is a really witty and should do well post-NFL.

Reaction Score
I just wrote about Moffitt yesterday as one of the underrecruited Conn. kids.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He went to Notre Dame High School in West Haven. Played well and started for Seattle for a couple years.
1 or 2-star player by the way according to Rivals and Scout. He was actually very good for Seattle.

http://sports. yahoo.c o m/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1352
(remove the 4 spaces)
He was a 3 star recruit according to Rivals and later named All American in 2010. #13 in New England in 2006.

When he got hurt in 2011, he simultaneously served a suspension for (suspected) Adderall use. My guess - and let me reiterate, it is only my own speculation - he could not improve his play to a high enough level without an artificial edge and if he did not want to do that any more, then why pay the price?

Reaction Score
(remove the 4 spaces)
He was a 3 star recruit according to Rivals and later named All American in 2010. #13 in New England in 2006.

When he got hurt in 2011, he simultaneously served a suspension for (suspected) Adderall use. My guess - and let me reiterate, it is only my own speculation - he could not improve his play to a high enough level without an artificial edge and if he did not want to do that any more, then why pay the price?

Why can't you just let him walk away in peace?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why can't you just let him walk away in peace?
The guy's not dead, he retired from the NFL. Lighten up.

If you didn't want to hear anyone's thoughts on a matter, don't create a thread. You are also free to not read my posts.

Reaction Score

This^^^

Reaction Score
(remove the 4 spaces)

I don't know what goes on in the NFL with Adderrall, but the people who know him says he is prescribed for ADHD.

I followed Moffitt since he's from my high school. He was under the radar and 2 star, and I'm surprised to see the 3 star. I wonder if it's because he verballed to Wisconsin. Do any of you even remember UConn recruiting this kid at all? I assumed he was snagged at Wisconsin because of the connecticut connections up there (Tarek Saleh went to Wisconsin from NDWH and ended up playing in the NFL as well). He was totally underrecruited, not even discussed here. He had a 2 star for the whole period, must have been bumped up.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't know what goes on in the NFL with Adderrall, but the people who know him says he is prescribed for ADHD.

I followed Moffitt since he's from my high school. He was under the radar and 2 star, and I'm surprised to see the 3 star. I wonder if it's because he verballed to Wisconsin. Do any of you even remember UConn recruiting this kid at all? I assumed he was snagged at Wisconsin because of the connecticut connections up there (Tarek Saleh went to Wisconsin from NDWH and ended up playing in the NFL as well). He was totally underrecruited, not even discussed here. He had a 2 star for the whole period, must have been bumped up.

I do remember hearing his name, but I don't remember UConn being in serious contention.
I don't know him personally, so I can't speak to his condition. As I said, it was pure speculation on my part. I'm 97.34% sure he couldn't care about my opinion. In any event, Adderrall is a banned substance and he didn't appeal (mainly because if he had and lost, the 4 game suspension would have affected the following season and he was going to miss the rest of the then current season anyway).

Reaction Score

You are right, there is something weird about the NFl's approach to Adderall, isn't there? I was on it when I was younger and so were several of my friends. Significant percentage of the population is prescribed it, and you would think the percentage would be even higher in the NFL (all males, which are significantly more likely to be prescribed).

Reaction Score
I do remember hearing his name, but I don't remember UConn being in serious contention.
I don't know him personally, so I can't speak to his condition. As I said, it was pure speculation on my part. I'm 97.34% sure he couldn't care about my opinion. In any event, Adderrall is a banned substance and he didn't appeal (mainly because if he had and lost, the 4 game suspension would have affected the following season and he was going to miss the rest of the then current season anyway).

It's actually not banned. There are NFL players who take it with medical permission. But the last bargaining agreement required NFL doctors. I was unaware of this recently until I heard a current NFL player being interviewed in my local area.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's actually not banned. There are NFL players who take it with medical permission. But the last bargaining agreement required NFL doctors. I was unaware of this recently until I heard a current NFL player being interviewed in my local area.

You're mincing words. If a player does not have a prescription, the drug meets the definition of a banned substance. The facts and consequences of the story in the Seattle Times indicates that a particular player, who will go unnamed, did not have a prescription.

Theoretically, If a doctor prescribes marijuana, it is legal for that person, but remains banned for everyone else.

Reaction Score
You're mincing words. If a player does not have a prescription, the drug meets the definition of a banned substance. The facts and consequences of the story in the Seattle Times indicates that a particular player, who will go unnamed, did not have a prescription.

Theoretically, If a doctor prescribes marijuana, it is legal for that person, but remains banned for everyone else.

It's not mincing at all. Marijuana is banned in the NFL for all players, whether they have a prescription or not. The NFL decides what to allow and not allow.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

This is tiresome. It doesn't address what I said. There are players openly taking adderall with the NFL's blessing. I wasn't referring to Moffitt specifcally, and I wouldn't believe his agent anyway. Especially in Seattle where many players claimed the same thing.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If you want to read a good article about concussions and the NFL, the current ESPN mag has a good article on Chris Borland. It may also be available online. I gotta give ESPN credit because it isn't in their best interests to talk about this topic. But they put a very lengthy article about concussions in their NFL preview issue. Interesting that Borland also went to Wisconsin (same as Moffitt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom