NFL: Fix? Poor officiating? | The Boneyard

NFL: Fix? Poor officiating?

Reaction Score
I stumbled across this video and found it's argument compelling. The officials in this game are either incompetent or corrupt. No other description is possible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This stuff gets buried because the NFL owns the networks. I hate the NFL.

Reaction Score
I'd probably go with incompetence, but there are certainly arguments to be made that that level of incompetence isn't possible. As a Cowboys fan, I see a lot of this. I think it was the recent win at Philly where the Eagles were not called for a single penalty. Doesn't seem implausible, but it's actually pretty rare. I think I read it has only happened 15-20 times in the last 5 years, or something, and the Cowboys have been the opposing team in 5 of those games. That's even more unlikely.

Reaction Score
I stumbled across this video and found it's argument compelling. The officials in this game are either incompetent or corrupt. No other description is possible.

The NFL is trying to catch-up with the NBA nationally and FIFA globally.

Reaction Score
It's obvious. Championships build up fanbases. But supposedly, the Seahawks were screwed in their first Super Bowl against the Steelers.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The NFL is trying to catch-up with the NBA nationally and FIFA globally.

Don’t forget FIBA. Embarrassingly corrupt.

They should’ve been dismantled after that sham called the 04 Olympics.

Tim freaking Duncan called them out for atrocious officiating, and he was on the court for that 16 errors in 14 seconds game against okc a few years ago and was silent.

the Q

Reaction Score
I'd probably go with incompetence, but there are certainly arguments to be made that that level of incompetence isn't possible. As a Cowboys fan, I see a lot of this. I think it was the recent win at Philly where the Eagles were not called for a single penalty. Doesn't seem implausible, but it's actually pretty rare. I think I read it has only happened 15-20 times in the last 5 years, or something, and the Cowboys have been the opposing team in 5 of those games. That's even more unlikely.

In football, when holding occurs on every play, any major discrepancy is penalties makes the game completely suspect.

But they are also incompetent, and laughably biased to help offenses.

Holding, false starts (seriously, linemen move on like every play before the snap), and OPI aren’t called nearly enough. Plus terrible passes that aren’t catchable unless a receiver can phase through a defender like a ghost are called dpi, plus the uncatchable balls that still get flagged, like the one to win the saints/vikes nfc title game a decade ago.

Plus dpi is way to strep for the crime in the nfl. It can totally change a game. Same with 5 yard defensive holding being an auto first down on 3rd and 11.

And then just the general biases toward some teams and QBs. It’s just not a good product.

CFB refs aren’t much better, but at least we get fun innovative offenses.

Reaction Score
In football, when holding occurs on every play, any major discrepancy is penalties makes the game completely suspect.

But they are also incompetent, and laughably biased to help offenses.

And then just the general biases toward some teams and QBs. It’s just not a good product.

CFB refs aren’t much better, but at least we get fun innovative offenses.

I will always remember two calls that went againts UConn. At a BC game at the Rent, Danny O threw a ball on purpose at the back of the helmet of a BC DB who has been desperately holding to a UConn TE going across the end zone. No call. There was also that Houston game where (I forgot who) UConn's QB was hit in the head by a Houston player after he had already slid leg-first to end the play. The refs announced it was being reviewed for targeting, which it clearly was as the Houston player went horizontal and led with the helmet. After the review, both the late hit and the targeting call were overturned. UConn's QB did not return & even the announcers were confused and irate.

the Q

Reaction Score
I will always remember two calls that went againts UConn. At a BC game at the Rent, Danny O threw a ball on purpose at the back of the helmet of a BC DB who has been desperately holding to a UConn TE going across the end zone. No call. There was also that Houston game where (I forgot who) UConn's QB was hit in the head by a Houston player after he had already slid leg-first to end the play. The refs announced it was being reviewed for targeting, which it clearly was as the Houston player went horizontal and led with the helmet. After the review, both the late hit and the targeting call were overturned. UConn's QB did not return & even the announcers were confused and irate.

In the bama/auburn games this weekend the auburn wr pulled he bama dB by the jersey to get open, and it was not called. The dude was magically open by 5 yards after the play and the result was a td on a ball that is Probably an incompletion at best without the jersey pull.

Then we can get into drew pearson and issac Bruce for blatant push offs in big nfl post season games. Gronk also does it a lot

the Q

Reaction Score
The Pats corner just got away with 2 blatant PIs.

Vikes have to settle for a fg.

Nfl officials are corrupt. You switch the roles and there’s more yellow on the field than if big bird blew up.

Reaction Score
The Pats corner just got away with 2 blatant PIs.

Vikes have to settle for a fg.

Nfl officials are corrupt. You switch the roles and there’s more yellow on the field than if big bird blew up.

And then the Vikes got called for an obvious PI shortly after. Refs have to be consistent with how they makes calls, regardless of who the guilty party plays for.

the Q

Reaction Score
And then the Vikes got called for an obvious PI shortly after. Refs have to be consistent with how they makes calls, regardless of who the guilty party plays for.

But they’re not.

See: Malcom butler

Reaction Score
Be careful, Tommy doesn't like complaints about refs.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm a Pats fan and agree completely. Jackson got away with not one but two PIs in the end zone. Shortly after, the Pats got a friendly hanky on a play that was much less obvious than Jackson's two. I think this was more of the reason Thielen blew up than thinking Chung was faking an injury to review a spot. Vikes were frustrated - rightfully so - and I think the emotions from the entire game got the best of Thielen there.

NFL officiating is brutal and nobody knows how to fix it. Replays aren't helping either.

Reaction Score
What do folks think about this?

Eagles come-up with the pigskin from the bottom of the pile, which is mostly filled with green jerseys. Initial ruling from the refs is no fumble, down by contact. Eagles challenge to call. On reply, it was confirmed a fumble; but, ruled Cowboys ball as it was inconclusive as to who recovered the ball. Yet, the Eagles carried it out of the pile. The 'Official' explanation as to why it was called as it was an exercise in gymnastics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...cowboys/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b4f505114f03

I did not play football myself; but, heard enough stories from friends who played HS and college ball that one does not want to know what goes on at the bottom of the pile. So, if you get out of that pile with the ball, its yours.

Oh, and then there was this Offensive Pass Interference call that took away an Eagles touchdown. The OPI was questionable as both players were pushing; but, even if the OPI is then called, the targeting call was a bit hard to miss.

Jerry Jones is smiling and handing out a few dollars.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watched a handful of games yesterday evening and I swear that I have never seen so many border-line flags thrown for pass interference in close games at critical spots. It was crazy. Did the NFL send out a memo advised that if a DB even looks at a Wide Receiver in a close game to throw a flag?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom