Next year's team will be good. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Next year's team will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I missed it, can you link the thread or summarize?

Zionn said the Yard is going to meltdown very soon, presumably referring to transfers.

Fishy said the transfer number is over/under 2 and Ollie already knows who's staying or going.

Here's the thing: I think those two are reliable sources but I really don't see anyone leaving.

Reaction Score
I guess i could see 1 or 2 reserves transferring, not saying anyone will but i can see it happening, but for our big players, i couldn't see it. It wouldn't be worth taking a year off their development

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I guess i could see 1 or 2 reserves transferring, not saying anyone will but i can see it happening, but for our big players, i couldn't see it. It wouldn't be worth taking a year off their development
Hope it's not Rock (if even true) I see his ceiling being a DeJuan Blair (Pitt) type. We need to keep the little muscle we have.

Reaction Score
Well atleast we don't have to worry about Amidah going anywhere:

*** There apparently has been some scuttlebutt about potential UConn transfers, seemingly based on Kevin Ollie's postgame quotes on Wednesday night. While the quotes did raise a few eyebrows, especially since they started off unsolicited, I don't think there's a whole lot to them. For the most part, the "exit interviews" next week are standard operating procedure.
I spoke with Amida Brimah's legal guardian, Nana Baafi, on Friday, and he scoffed at the idea that Brimah might want to transfer.
"Nobody’s thought about anything like that at all. That stuff is not … I don’t know how that stuff got out there," he said.
What about the NBA? A veteran Eastern Conference scout told me the other day that both Brimah and Daniel Hamilton would "both, for sure, be drafted -- maybe high second-round picks. To say they're first-round guys? I wouldn't say that right now."
But Baafi doesn't think that will happen, either.
"Shoot, honestly I don’t know. I don’t think so. He just took a couple of days off, we haven't had that discussion at all. It's not on our minds. We're not even close to that at all."
Then, asked about this past season, Baafi said: "Next year will be better, I know that much for sure."

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2015/03/steve-enoch-honored-amida-brimah-likely.html
Doesn't sound too convincing as the guardian doesn't think so but isn't sure. Either way knowing we are going to be a better team next year right now is stupid. Let's wait at least another week to find out if any of the transfer/early nba entry rumors are true before talking about next year. I know it sucks to be in limbo for another couple weeks but this season has left a bad taste in many mouths(players and coaches). I hope everyone stays but I'm going to wait until news of the players decisions are final before talking about next year. It will be interesting if recruiting picks up in the next week if some of these rumors are true.

Reaction Score
We should've or should go after Thomas Bryant
Go in late on a 5-star recruit that a bunch of blue bloods have been after for years?

Yeah... I think we should save the airfare. I'd rather KO take a couple extra trips to Mississippi to try to get an early signature from Kegler.

Reaction Score
Go in late on a 5-star recruit that a bunch of blue bloods have been after for years?

Yeah... I think we should save the airfare. I'd rather KO take a couple extra trips to Mississippi to try to get an early signature from Kegler.
New York isn't really airfare....

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I predict another 20+ win season and a better finish in the AAC.

In regard to transfers, I hate the speculation and giving the impression that we want to get rid of kids. The team is like a family.

I am very proud and pleased that we have Coach Ollie, who will consistently make the ethically and morally correct decisions.
That being said, this year's team clearly had too many guard types who were uncomfortable handling the ball and made poor passing decisions both with and without defensive pressure and too many forwards who were weak with the ball. Watching the NCAA tournament teams like Georgia State and Buffalo were much more confident with the ball than we were. Some if this can be corrected and improved, but it may also require a roster adjustment.

Reaction Score
Nolan is going to be a senior and Facey regressed. Brimah and Rodney will be better. TSam isn't becoming Kemba. No, with normal allowances for everyone improving it's still not enough to say we will be good next year. Depends on recruiting. If no one else is added, middle of the pack AAC. JMO.

On what planet did Facey regress?

Reaction Score
The building blocks are Purvis and Hamilton. They are going to be a lethal tandem next year. Knocking on the door is Brimah and Facey. If they step up we become a solid team. TSam will get the nod early on but Adams will take over once he's caught up with the speed of the game. Our depth will be vulnerable. TSam, Omar, Rak, and Nolan seem like wildcards to me. Hopefully Nolan and Calhoun will be a calming presence and play like savy vets. They've shown they can but not consistently.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

Jalen Adams- the key to the season. I think that Adams can have a similar freshman season to what Tyus Jones had this year minus a couple of assists per game. He needs to score when he gets good opportunities and push the fast break. If he does, then that would be a very nice freshman year that is more than enough from the starting point guard position. Even a little less than this would still be enough. A season of 9-11 points per game, 2.5-4 rebounds, 3-4 assists with solid defense and shooting percentage is all we need. Daniel hamilton is a point forward and we can have 2 other guards on the floor with Adams to help with ball handling and driving to the hoop.
If adams can't at least come close to this production, then we are really going to rely on large jumps from cassell and samuels. that could be a long season

Daniel Hamilton- If he can add enough size and strength in the off season to play 25+ minutes per game at the power forward position, then that would be HUGE for the quality of the starting lineup. he already rebounds like a power forward

Brimah- incremental improvements in size, strength, not committing stupid fouls, low post moves, and rebounding will yield a first team AAC player and a top 10 center in college basketball. He is already a great defensive player minus 1-2 stupid fouls per game that can cost him 5-10 minutes of playing time per game

All other players- if 2-3 other players on the roster can make a reasonable leap in production from last year, then the team will definitely be a top 25 team. If the chemistry is better, then the team could be top 15

Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

Jalen Adams- the key to the season. I think that Adams can have a similar freshman season to what Tyus Jones had this year minus a couple of assists per game. He needs to score when he gets good opportunities and push the fast break. If he does, then that would be a very nice freshman year that is more than enough from the starting point guard position. Even a little less than this would still be enough. A season of 9-11 points per game, 2.5-4 rebounds, 3-4 assists with solid defense and shooting percentage is all we need. Daniel hamilton is a point forward and we can have 2 other guards on the floor with Adams to help with ball handling and driving to the hoop.
If adams can't at least come close to this production, then we are really going to rely on large jumps from cassell and samuels. that could be a long season

Daniel Hamilton- If he can add enough size and strength in the off season to play 25+ minutes per game at the power forward position, then that would be HUGE for the quality of the starting lineup. he already rebounds like a power forward

Brimah- incremental improvements in size, strength, not committing stupid fouls, low post moves, and rebounding will yield a first team AAC player and a top 10 center in college basketball. He is already a great defensive player minus 1-2 stupid fouls per game that can cost him 5-10 minutes of playing time per game

All other players- if 2-3 other players on the roster can make a reasonable leap in production from last year, then the team will definitely be a top 25 team. If the chemistry is better, then the team could be top 15
I would like to think that the combo of Nolan, Facey, Enoch and Lubin will be enough to keep Hamilton from playing over 10 mins a game at the 4. DH obviously can flourish in the middle of a zone, but his strengths are more needed on the outside creating his shot and shots for others.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We have OSU and GTown at home next year... Maryland at our second home, MSG and away at texas.. Would like to say those would be a good way to measure our team but by mid jan I would like to see us rolling... I think we can be very good if we can fix a majority of our issues both as a team and individually. It's not like adams hasn't been in the spotlight, the kid seems to feed off of it... If we can get a big or our guys work over this summer and get much better at rebounding and team defense I think we can be very good... our guards did a lot of the work this year and we were in a lot of games without much from the bigs

Swag, I don't think we can expect a team with a freshman PG to be rolling that soon. I'll be happy if we are rolling in Feb. or March

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Swag, I don't think we can expect a team with a freshman PG to be rolling that soon. I'll be happy if we are rolling in Feb. or March
you don't think we'll be rolling by mid january? especially if purvis and hamilton play like we know they can? I think Adams is going to be very good... he won't have to do much just run the offense and take his shot when needed

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
you don't think we'll be rolling by mid january? especially if purvis and hamilton play like we know they can? I think Adams is going to be very good... he won't have to do much just run the offense and take his shot when needed

Just think it will take more time to gel. Love Purvis & Hamilton, but even they are still learning. The Point is a tough position to master. But they and Brimah (even with his limitations) make a strong foundation.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I would like to think that the combo of Nolan, Facey, Enoch and Lubin will be enough to keep Hamilton from playing over 10 mins a game at the 4. DH obviously can flourish in the middle of a zone, but his strengths are more needed on the outside creating his shot and shots for others.

I hope the combo of the combination of Facey, Enoch and Lubin will be enough to keep Nolan from playing over 10 minutes a game at the 4.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We do have a lot more returning than many are willing to see (albeit, depending on no non-senior departures). Brimah is not yet a lost cause as players of his profile (not long into playing the game) normally make enormous strides after their first summer of practice at the collegiate level (something he missed out on due to injury last summer). In many cases this is as valuable as game experience.

If he can become more consistent and a bit more polished, Hamilton & Purvis (as primary offensive options and leaders) can become more consistent (and at times more assertive on offense), Nolan, Facey, Omar & Samuel, as role players/supporting cast, more consistent in their play we will have most of what is necessary to be highly competitive. A little improvement from Lubin and a bit contributed by Enoch and some improvement and consistency from Cassell Jr and we will be missing only solid starting point guard play. Here the hope has to be that as a freshman, Adams is closer in personality to KEA than any other PG we've brought in before or after KEA.

Reaction Score

My point is that barring one of those bigs stepping up a lot, then the lineup will be better by replacing one of those traditional big men with a guard. An extra ball handler will be beneficial to the offense and a quick perimeter player to challenge outside shots is better for the defense. Brimah is all we need to control the paint. Hamilton can still drive to the hoop and shoot a lot on offense, but he will guard the opposing 4 when UConn is on defense. He would basically be deandre daniels role. Stretch the floor by shooting 3s and beat the opposing 4 off the dribble. Luckily hamilton is already a better rebounder than deandre and will likely improve on that next year. A little more size would allow him to play against all but the biggest 4s in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Just curious, if Prince Ali had kept his commitment and played for us what do we think he would have averaged? He'd probably be one of the first guys off the bench, but judging from his athleticism and scoring I want to see what everyone else here thinks he would average and what role he would play.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just curious, if Prince Ali had kept his commitment and played for us what do we think he would have averaged? He'd probably be one of the first guys off the bench, but judging from his athleticism and scoring I want to see what everyone else here thinks he would average and what role he would play.

Couldn't disagree more -- I don't get the obsession with recruits that dropped us/chose other schools over us. I don't care about who isn't on the team, I care about who is. Fixating on the Prince Alis and Chris Clarkes and Tevin Macks of the world only whips the fanbase up into a state of anxiety and always ends up spiraling into some discourse about how we're doomed...

Reaction Score
There are so many question marks going forward and we saw how awful they looked without Boatwright. It's going to be a slow process. Enosh and Adams are going to go through obvious growing pain acclimating themselves to the college game. I think our record will likely be around the same (20-12 ish) barring any major surprises.

Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree more -- I don't get the obsession with recruits that dropped us/chose other schools over us. I don't care about who isn't on the team, I care about who is. Fixating on the Prince Alis and Chris Clarkes and Tevin Macks of the world only whips the fanbase up into a state of anxiety and always ends up spiraling into some discourse about how we're doomed...
I never said anything to disagree about, only wondered what everyone thought of him as a player as I was unclear

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I never said anything to disagree about, only wondered what everyone thought of him as a player as I was unclear

There are plenty of scouting reports and highlight tapes out on the internet. Not to sound like I'm splitting hairs, but the "how would this guy fit into UCONN" trope just doesn't make sense to me. We know he's not coming and what's in the past is in the past, so how is that relevant?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
...and we saw how awful they looked without Boatwright.

We also saw how good they could look without Boatright. It took them quite a while in that game to sort out their respective roles without their leader on the floor, but they stormed back in that game against ASU. That game actually made me feel better about going into next year without Boatright. By the way, I'm deducting 2 points from you for adding a "w" to his name, although he had brought many "w's" to UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom