bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dangerfield
Walker
Williams
Ono
????????

Grad transfer or Camara/Irwin. Kind of nuts to think Kyla could be a starter for UCONN. It'd be more out of necessity than ability/improvement, but still props to her. I pegged her as a bench warmer all 4 years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Griffin. If we get Makurat, it's her or Aubrey.
Bingo. I was encouraged that Griffin came off 2 years of injuries, paid her own way to the USA team trials, and made the final 16 being one of the last players cut. I think that proved she's better than her ranking, and given we will have size with ONO, I'd pencil her in as the 5th starter at the moment.

Makurat is an unknown, but if she does come as Ken said, I think it comes down to one of them. I'm not sure Batouly will ever be 100% healthy, and even if she is, she's proven to be a foul machine who struggles with bricks around the basket. I love Kyla - she's a terrific team player and solid reserve off the bench, but she's close to her ceiling and UCONN needs "more" in the starting lineup than she is capable of giving.

There's also the chance of a grad transfer or foreign post player that could make the choices interesting. I hope Geno has several great choices...

Reaction Score
Of the players we know are coming to UConn, it probably will be Aubry for the same reason Christyn is starting- too much talent.

However, Kayla is going to give her a fight for it, if she can make the same leap in improvement that she did this year. She will get a lot of playing time the rest of the regular schedule to overcome nervous mistakes. She will be playing with next years team, who she has been playing with in practice.

She has a good 3-point shot. She knows how to do many valuable things that don't show up on stats- set screens, block out so that a teammate can get the rebound, be disruptive on defense. She knows where she should be on the court and what to do when she gets there.

Granted she does not do those things against tops teams to date, but I think that she has enough physical talent to provide minutes against most teams and provide some Butler-like minutes against certain top teams.

Reaction Score
Griffin. If we get Makurat, it's her or Aubrey.
As of today it has to be Aubrey or Coombs, then Irwin My bet is (if nothing changes( Geno has been grooming Coombs so I'd bet she would be his choice if next season began today---I realize many many thing can happen between now an November, including the Polish shooter, maybe a Polish or Russian Post (I'm guessing Geno is beating those bushes)..

Reaction Score
Most years it seems pretty obvious who the starting line up will be, with debate saved for one position. I don't think ONO is really to start and I don't think the other starter is currently on this roster.

If ONO does start, how many minutes will she play until she in Foul trouble? I see ONO starting JR/SR year. She will need to make a big leap.

After you fill in the PG spot, Next years starting line up may just be a jumbled mess.

Reaction Score
Ono has shown some good minutes this year. She needs to gain some weight and also learn how to play better defense (partially related to the weight thing), both which are doable things in the offseason. Who is going to beat her out to play center?

I echo the comments that Camara wouldn't be coming back if she had nothing left in her knees. She'd just retire.

Reaction Score
Most years it seems pretty obvious who the starting line up will be, with debate saved for one position. I don't think ONO is really to start and I don't think the other starter is currently on this roster.

If ONO does start, how many minutes will she play until she in Foul trouble? I see ONO starting JR/SR year. She will need to make a big leap.

After you fill in the PG spot, Next years starting line up may just be a jumbled mess.

Didn't know Guru was Mike Francesa. :D

Reaction Score

Next year: Assuming Geno picks up a Polish Guard and a Russian Post (big IF)--Does ONO, who played lots of minutes this year and learned the Geno system, sit for a year or 2? Not hardly likely! Assuming Geno gets nothing other than what we see?? ONO sits for 2 years?
At this point it is as likely Geno will not get another player as it is he'll get any. Is next season a doom and gloom season, should Geno just advise the NCAA --just initial in 30 losses for Uconn for the 19/20 season? If necessary Geno will put in Shea, CD, Jazmine, himself (yea a bit over the top)--Many here don't realize just how much Geno hates to lose!!

Reaction Score
As I stated earlier, IMHO after Batouly has her knee problems squared away with a knee operation as soon as the season ends, she'll be starting 2019-2020 at PF then the other 4 starters will be:
C ONO - has come leaps and bounds from where she started the season
SF Walker - who would have believed the Megan we're looking at today is the same girl who ended last year
SG Williams - has recovered her mojo and is becoming a dependable piece to the winning puzzle
PG Crystal Dangerfield - is an All-American waiting to be named! Adding her name to the GREAT G's of our past

The order off the bench is:
Coombs PG
Griffin SG
Irwin PF/C

Obviously, if Geno gets a Grad Transfer or the Polish girl, or any other additional player from outside the Huskies program their abilities will determine the pecking order!
I'm not going to subscribe to the gloom and doom people on the BY that think the sky is falling!
"In Geno I trust!" He's done it for 34 years I can't see him and his staff not putting a highly competitive team on the floor! They will figure something out that will be representative of the top-notch UCONN product!
Bet the farm on that!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Geno really just needs a solid 6 man rotation of versatile players and he’ll have that next year. He can win with 6. He can win with 10. I’m impressed with Walker.. I knew she’d take a leap this year. Williams is going to be a force next year.

Ya’ll will likely be a hot destination for this summer’s transfer market.. get an impact player and be a top 5 team again next year.

NO worries my Husky friends. Geno is your coach.

Reaction Score
Of the players we know are coming to UConn, it probably will be Aubry for the same reason Christyn is starting- too much talent.

However, Kayla is going to give her a fight for it, if she can make the same leap in improvement that she did this year. She will get a lot of playing time the rest of the regular schedule to overcome nervous mistakes. She will be playing with next years team, who she has been playing with in practice.

She has a good 3-point shot. She knows how to do many valuable things that don't show up on stats- set screens, block out so that a teammate can get the rebound, be disruptive on defense. She knows where she should be on the court and what to do when she gets there.

Granted she does not do those things against tops teams to date, but I think that she has enough physical talent to provide minutes against most teams and provide some Butler-like minutes against certain top teams.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile Butler averaged almost 20 ppg and led the nation in rebounding when she left UConn!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom