Next Year's Recruits: Can't Wait | The Boneyard

Next Year's Recruits: Can't Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

I am excited for next year's crop of recruits. Great recruiting class, but the guy that is really impressing me is Mamadou Diarra. That kid is explosive and a strong finishing big man. He plays with an aggression, motor, and tenacity that you can't teach. He is a second coming of Montrezl Harrel and Jeff Adrien combo. All we need is Hamidou Diallo to reclassify and we will have some NASTY on this team again.

Reaction Score
I'm just happy we're getting some bigs who can play offense. 2-3 years from now we *should* have a tremendous front court.

Reaction Score
We could have a logjam in the front court next year.

Reaction Score
Would should enjoy this season. We are an "old" team with he addition of our new guys.
Next year we will be a young team relatively speaking and it might take a year or two for the new guys to gel and adapt to the college game. Next year your expectations should be lower- not higher- we will be good but very young and we are not (TG) UK.
I will enjoy watching them get better next year and hopefully watch us get better this year and make a deep run.

Too bad We Are DOOMED!!!!!

Reaction Score
Would should enjoy this season. We are an "old" team with he addition of our new guys.
Next year we will be a young team relatively speaking and it might take a year or two for the new guys to gel and adapt to the college game. Next year your expectations should be lower- not higher- we will be good but very young and we are not (TG) UK.
I will enjoy watching them get better next year and hopefully watch us get better this year and make a deep run.

Too bad We Are DOOMED!!!!!

Who are you expecting us to lose this year?

I know Gibbs and the guy from Cornell but who else?

Hamilton is possible but still not sure he will go high enough in 1st round to justify leaving this year instead of next year.

Purvis, while really nice, should probably also stay.

If I'm right, then we will have solid experience on the team along with Brimah and Adams and Enoch are Sophs while Face is a Senior. Seems to be some solid veteran leadership there.

Reaction Score
Front court: Brimah,Enoch share the 5 spot and Facey and Diarra share the 4. Our other new 4 Durham may not be ready to help. The 3 can get complicated. I'm hoping Hamilton comes back. He then shares the 3 with Larrier and Jackson. The 2 will be Purvis and Cassell who won't see much time because when Gilbert is the first off the bench Jalen who is our starting point is moved to the 2. The way I see it Cassell and Jackson or Larrier who ever is better doesn't see much time. I still believe this is a final four caliber team. If we make a final four run this year, then maybe more people leave or maybe they do anyways.

Reaction Score
Agree that neither Purvis nor Brimah have shown enough improvement this year to merit early departures to the NBA. Facey wasn't ready for his starting role last year, but looks plenty ready for one next year. By then Adams will have gotten lots of minutes at the point and will likely be a better orchestrator next year than Gibbs is this year. If DHam goes early (possible, but by no means assured if he can't improve his perimeter shooting), then Larrier should be well positioned to step up. Enoch will be a fearsome first big off the bench, and Cassel might (???) one day find his touch. And with the one (or two) scholarships still available, KO may continue to fill any gaps he foresees with transfers.

All that before we even come to the question of playing time for next year's freshmen. We look to return a very experienced line up next year.

But that's a long way off. First, some turtle soup.

Reaction Score
Let's caveat this with the standard timeline for big men to transition to the college game. Even very talented players tend to struggle early. Generally the best you can hope for (outside a guy like Okafor last year) is for them to be able to contribute competent minutes off the bench (ie. Enoch this year).

Reaction Score
I'm just saying.

We will have two very young PGs- they we take time to adjust - JA could make a huge jump but you never know.

Reaction Score
I think Jalen will be plenty ready next year. He's an older freshman, and we're seeing plenty of glimpses of what he can do. I think he'll be fantastic by next year. And, Alterique looks so good, so fast - if he plays under control, we have a nasty backcourt.

Reaction Score
I know this is about next year's crop, but since there's Jalen talk I just have to chime in, I love the way Jalen already seems to 'get' the KO "you need to respect the jersey" mantra about playing "UConn" basketball

When he's in the game, he's always talking to guys during a dead ball, he's all game

I know its been rocky so far, but win or lose tomorrow I like what this team has, I see guys who play hard and care and I hope they build some amazing chemistry by season's end

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think Jalen will be plenty ready next year. He's an older freshman, and we're seeing plenty of glimpses of what he can do. I think he'll be fantastic by next year. And, Alterique looks so good, so fast - if he plays under control, we have a nasty backcourt.

He will play too fast. I havent seen a freshman NOT in 15+ years. Only guys who arent that fast to begin with. jmo

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't think it's crazy to presume Adams won't be here. Think Zach Lavine.

Reaction Score
Zach Lavine has 3 inches on Jalen and out of this world athleticism. I don't see a comparison there.
I think he was saying that it wouldn't be crazy if Jalen left after this year without producing great numbers, like Lavine did after his Freshman year at UCLA

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think he was saying that it wouldn't be crazy if Jalen left after this year without producing great numbers, like Lavine did after his Freshman year at UCLA

I'd counter that the point he was making is that ZL was able to get drafted on athleticism alone, sans numbers. He could jump out of the gym and looked to have a ready made NBA frame. Jalen, while good size and athleticism, doesn't exactly stand out that way. He's got to get his numbers to show his value.

Plus, Jalen seems like a totally different kid than ZL.

Reaction Score
Yeah but I have discovered that the high school star players in these mixtapes will begin to show these skills (consistently) in their sophomore year in Div 1. So the logjam will be temporary, allowing excellent progression of development.

Reaction Score
I'd counter that the point he was making is that ZL was able to get drafted on athleticism alone, sans numbers. He could jump out of the gym and looked to have a ready made NBA frame. Jalen, while good size and athleticism, doesn't exactly stand out that way. He's got to get his numbers to show his value.

Plus, Jalen seems like a totally different kid than ZL.

Bingo. Lots of 1 and done's don't have great numbers as freshmen but have a certain level of talent/athleticism to make the jump. The Lavine comparison is just a weird one - Adams is probably a more skilled player but much smaller and not the level of athleticism.

Reaction Score
Bingo. Lots of 1 and done's don't have great numbers as freshmen but have a certain level of talent/athleticism to make the jump. The Lavine comparison is just a weird one - Adams is probably a more skilled player but much smaller and not the level of athleticism.
True, but they project as different positions as pros. ZL has played some point but its mostly known his best position is SG and will most likely barely play point, While JA is a point guard. Also, the athleticism and size doesn't matter as much at the point than at the 2, and for the point JA has good size and very good athleticism. I'm not saying JA is ready to leave by any stretch but i think the comparison is a little shaky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom