Next Year's OLine and DLine | The Boneyard

Next Year's OLine and DLine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No one is winning at UConn next year unless the OLine starts how it finished and the DLine stays strong.
I'm way too lazy to look at the depth charts and redshirts.

What are people expecting to see coming out of the spring and come August 28th against BYU?

Reaction Score
Here is who is coming back from the roster:
(I listed them by class they will be next season..I may be off by some redshirts)
OL
Center: Mateas RS SR, Bockeloh RS Soph
Guard: Schafenacker Soph, Cruz (if healthy) RS SR, Rugg RS Soph, Samara Jr
Tackle: Gifford RS JR, Hemingway RS JR, Hopkins RS FR, Levy RS Soph, Nwokeji RS JR, Vechery RS Fr, Murphy RS Fr, Basillica RS Fr

DL
Defensive Tackle: Fatukasi RS Fr, Knappe RS Soph, Adeyemi RS Jr, Campenni RS Jr, Myers RS Soph, Pruitt RS Sr
Defensive End: Battles-Santos RS Soph, Frank RS Sr, Marinan RS Soph, McBryde RS Sr, Ormsby RS Fr, Stapleton RS Fr, Stevens RS Fr

Reaction Score
Conversely, here's who we're losing. Some of them are big losses. Others, not so much.

Offense
Tackle:
Jimmy Bennett
Guard: Steve Greene, Tyler Bullock

Defense
End:
Jesse Joseph, Tim Willman
Tackle: Shamar Stephen

Not huge losses. I'd say Bennett/Greene would be pretty big losses but the truth is, whether it was injuries or scheme, they never quite provided the level of skill we'd hoped. Though that is two starting players on our OL which we'll need to replace.

On defense, the losses are more moderate. Joseph, Willman, and Stephen never managed to produce the same kinds of results as Trevardo Williams, so I'm not sure we'll suffer enormously. It really depends on the development of our young players here.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I needed a coaching search break.

Here's the way I see it shaking down next year on the OL.....keeping in mind we may have an entire new staff......

LT - Gifford, Levy
LG - Samra, Rugg
C - Mateas, Bockeloh, Paull
RG - Cruz, Schafenacker
RT - Hemingway, Hopkins, Nwokeji

I am 5% confident in the accuracy here. I'm 100% scared to death now that I look at it. Lots of wild cards in there. Hoping we can bring in some JUCO help.

Reaction Score
Conversely, here's who we're losing. Some of them are big losses. Others, not so much.

Offense
Tackle:
Jimmy Bennett

Defense
End:

Not huge losses. I'd say Bennett/Greene would be pretty big losses but the truth is, whether it was injuries or scheme, they never quite provided the level of skill we'd hoped. Though that is two starting players on our OL which we'll need to replace.

On defense, the losses are more moderate. Joseph, Willman, and Stephen never managed to produce the same kinds of results as Trevardo Williams, so I'm not sure we'll suffer enormously. It really depends on the development of our young players here.
Losing Stephen will hurt on D

Reaction Score

Here's the way I see it shaking down next year on the OL.....keeping in mind we may have an entire new staff......

LT - Gifford, Levy
LG - Samra, Rugg
RG - Cruz, Schafenacker

I am 5% confident in the accuracy here. I'm 100% scared to death now that I look at it. Lots of wild cards in there. Hoping we can bring in some JUCO help.
Jimmy you may see Gifford stay at RT if they sign a JUCO T or Levy makes a push in Spring ball...don't rule out Hopkins either. I live in Westchester Cnty and his Jr and Sr year of HS he was a pancake machine. Hemingway needs to add more weight...if he can get to 295 he will be better. He was over powered when he played this season.

Reaction Score

Offense
Tackle:
Jimmy Bennett

Defense
End:

I thought Greene played well in the latter half of the year and I also think people are going to realize how good Stephen was. He may get drafted.

Reaction Score
Jimmy you may see Gifford stay at RT if they sign a JUCO T or Levy makes a push in Spring ball...don't rule out Hopkins either. I live in Westchester Cnty and his Jr and Sr year of HS he was a pancake machine. Hemingway needs to add more weight...if he can get to 295 he will be better. He was over powered when he played this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if any of those happened. The thing that worries me about Hemingway is not his size or strength. It's his speed and his feet. If he gains weight he may get slower.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if any of those happened. The thing that worries me about Hemingway is not his size or strength. It's his speed and his feet. If he gains weight he may get slower.
Good point...hopefully who ever gets the HC job takes one look at the film from this yr and doesn't even attempt to put in a GDL like zone blocking scheme...it was evident that the aggressive man blocking scheme fits our OL personnel VERY well. I thought the younger guys who played this year after GDL was fired did a good job.

Reaction Score

That's the real concern. He absolutely needs to be bigger to play right tackle, but his footwork and mobility seemed so bad this year that it's hart to imagine that he could be effective at 295 lbs. It could be that he just looked slow because he was confused by the craptastic scheme. Let's hope that was the case . . .

Reaction Score

LT - Gifford, Levy
LG - Samra, Rugg
RG - Cruz, Schafenacker

You are 100% right about your 100% scared to death. Although with our MAIN MAN FOLEY back at OL Coach, i will remain calm. What he did from game 5-12 is nothing short of miraculous. Casey wasn't so much as breathed on that last game.

If I were to guess based on this years results, It would look like this:

LT Levy/Hopkins - This is the big question. I think Gifford will stay on the Right side given his apparent success there. Can one of the young guys step up and be a stabilizing force? If the answer is NO, I think they switch Gifford and perhaps give Hemingway another shot at RT.
RG Samra - He has waited his turn behind Greene
C Mateas - has really played well the past few weeks.
RG Cruz - Here's hoping he is healthy
RT - Gifford - Has shown glimpses of strong pass-pro. I really want to dig into some film of the game and focus on his contribution

Again, very encouraged by teh last 3/4 weeks, thank god for foley, hopefully the young talent ascends in the off-season and develops some nastiness.

Reaction Score
The three step passing attack and Casey's smarts cured a lot of ills on the offensive line. Gifford seems to have a bright future.

High hopes for Schafenacker and Omsby (man child), and the return of Foley.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Names on offense I'm comfortable with hearing: Mateas, Cruz, Gifford, Samra. All have played significant minutes and have shown the ability to play at this level.

Names I could be talked in to liking: Hopkins, Rugg, Bokeloh, Schafenaker, Levy. Raw or untested but still growing and developing.

Names I worry about hearing: Hemingway, Paull, Nwokeji. Not confident in future growth and present performance level hasn't gotten them playing time or playing time they've gotten has shown them to be not ready.

Reaction Score

Offense
Tackle:
Jimmy Bennett

Defense
End:

Funny that Kevin Friend # 77 was not mentioned as not being here next year since he was hardly here when he was here. The master of the look out block. Jimmy Bennett did the most he could on two bad knees. The O line has to be looking up with GDL not around to screw it up especially if Coach Foley is part of the new staff. Here's hoping.

Reaction Score
A QB that makes pre snap reads, steps up in the pocket and gets rid of the ball on time; coupled with a running back crew that can make the 1st guy miss/power run will give the OL a fighting chance. They only need them to be ok, anything better than that is gravy. There is a reason not so many wiff's blocking the last 3 or 4 games. See a guy, hit a guy 'cause the QB/RB will be making quick plays and defense won't be so prepared for same ol' sam ol'.
UConn now has a QB who is capable (not saying will always do it) of 300 plus yards passing and receivers who can catch; this without a go to TE or running back out of backfield. Drew Brees throws more than 60% of his passes to NON WR so UConn seems to have some pass receiving options to get better. All this will put defenses on their heals. Amazing what good QB play does for your OL.

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on Kyle Schafenacker @ guard. I believe he will be RS Frosh. He looks like he has bulked up considerably.

He was dropped from the depth chart around the Louisville game, so he's going to redshirt.

Great rep coming out of HS, and in the camps and practice, the thought was that he was ready as a freshmen. Expecting big things from him.

Reaction Score
He was dropped from the depth chart around the Louisville game, so he's going to redshirt.

Great rep coming out of HS, and in the camps and practice, the thought was that he was ready as a freshmen. Expecting big things from him.

Ya lost me on the first part --- he red-shirted this year no?

Reaction Score
DL is interesting next year. Two years ago we had several dynamic, speedy edge rushers(trevardo/Joseph/Sio). This year we CLEARLY struggled to generate any pressure from our front 4 as we had several big, strong, plodding DE's(Willman/Joseph*post*injury/McBride/Pruitt). At the same time, we have some real athleticism at the position with young guys Jalen Stevens, Stapleton, and Ormsby.

here's how I think it shapes up:

SDE: Reuben Frank, BJ McBryde
- with a year under his belt I think we feel the wrath of Reuben next year. Kid is big, strong, aggressive.
WDE: Ormsby, Stevens - Loved his tape coming into the program, and I think he brings big rangy athleticism to the field
DT1: Campenni, Knappe - Strong as an OX at the point of attack
DT2: Pruitt, Myers - Pruitt and Myers both flashed some pass-rushing skills on the interior. Would not be shocked to see both playing major snaps.

Reaction Score
I would expect Hemingay to get leap frogged by either Levy or Hopkins. He simply is too light to make an impact at this level. I think his slowness is driven more by indecisiveness than athleticism, but he has not added weight since he has been here. Why would we think he can add 20 lbs now?

Frankly, I hope the new staff is open to some experimentation. If Hemingway can't get bigger, is he an option for DLine (assuming we stay in 4-3)? I'm not convinced Knappe can be successful as a 6'8" DT - can he play DE or OT? Hell, if he can raise his arms on passes he'll create a distraction in the lanes. Can we get Norris back on D-Line and develop the young TEs who rode the pines his year? I'd look out for Jalen Stevens, the true frosh from So. Carolina who I think we'll add a speed rush element a la Trevardo.

But frankly, until we know the staff, schemes and which kids are coming/going, everything is a crap shoot.

Reaction Score
I thought Greene played well in the latter half of the year and I also think people are going to realize how good Stephen was. He may get drafted.

Stephen was a monster. His loss is a big blow to the defense as he often took up two blockers without getting moved. His lack of pass rush skills limits his draft position, but he very likely gets drafted, and very likely becomes a significant contributor to an NFL team as a NT.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have a sneaky suspicion that the new coach looks at the roster, looks at the film of us getting burned wide and switches to a 3-4 defense.

Reaction Score
Knappe would have been moved to OT, as every coach wanted the move. PP was against it so he wasn't moved.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would expect Hemingay to get leap frogged by either Levy or Hopkins. He simply is too light to make an impact at this level. I think his slowness is driven more by indecisiveness than athleticism, but he has not added weight since he has been here. Why would we think he can add 20 lbs now?

Frankly, I hope the new staff is open to some experimentation. If Hemingway can't get bigger, is he an option for DLine (assuming we stay in 4-3)? I'm not convinced Knappe can be successful as a 6'8" DT - can he play DE or OT? Hell, if he can raise his arms on passes he'll create a distraction in the lanes. Can we get Norris back on D-Line and develop the young TEs who rode the pines his year? I'd look out for Jalen Stevens, the true frosh from So. Carolina who I think we'll add a speed rush element a la Trevardo.

But frankly, until we know the staff, schemes and which kids are coming/going, everything is a crap shoot.
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Hemingway adds 15-20 lbs by next summer's camp. I doubt our new HC (whoever he is) will have the same philosophy on offensive linemen adding bulk that PGDL had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom