Next Years Line-up - Minutes / Points Scored / Rebounds | The Boneyard

Next Years Line-up - Minutes / Points Scored / Rebounds

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This exercise which I like to do only to try and figure who is going to be on the floor and for how long and how in the world will Geno and his staff divvy up the minutes. On the onset...it is important to note that with this team and the talent that is on this team...there just isn't enough minutes to go around. If there are a total of 200 minutes (5 x 40 minutes) to go around...14 talented players makes it necessary to limit players minutes in order to get the rest of the players some playing time and experience. So, I expect that there will be some disagreement in how I divvied up the minutes but it is only an exercise so here goes.

1. Aaliyah Edwards, 6'3", So, Forward - 20 minutes; 12 points; 6 RBs...
2. Saylor Poffenberger, 6'2", Fr, Guard - 5 minutes; 3 points; 1 RB...
3. Paige Bueckers, 5'11", So, Guard - 23 minutes; 17 points; 4 RBs...
4. Nika Muhl, 5'10, So, Guard - 18.5 minutes; 5 points; 2 RBs...
5. Mir McLean, 5'11", So, Forward - 8 minutes; 4.5 points; 2.5 RBs...
6. Christyn Williams, 5'11", Sr. Guard - 20 minutes; 12.5 points; 3.5 RBs...
7. Dorka Juhaz, 6'5", F, Forward - 13 minutes; 8 points; 6 RBs...
8. Olivia Nelson-Ododa, 6'5", Sr., Forward - 17 minutes; 9.5 points; 6 RBs...
9. Evina Westbrook, 6'0", R-Sr., Guard - 20 minutes; 9 points; 4.5 RBs...
10. Piath Gabriel, 6'5", So., Forward - 3.5 minutes; 2 points; 2 RBs...
11. Caroline Ducharme, 6'2", Fr., Guard - 6 minutes; 5 points; 1 RB...
12. Azzi Fudd, 5'11", Fr., Guard - 22 minutes; 16 points; 2 RBs...
13. Amari DeBerry, 6'5", Fr., Forward - 10 minutes; 4.5 points; 5 RBs...
14. Aubrey Griffin, 6'1", Jr., Forward - 14 minutes; 6.5 points; 6 RBs...

Almost useless exercise...because I will probably be completely wrong...but, I did learn one thing through this effort. I am glad I am not the coach of these players...I have no idea how Geno and his staff will juggle around the minutes for this very talented and deep team

Reaction Score
I don't like the above at all. At all. I'm sure we'll all talk about it a lot more in September/October/November. For now just singling out Paige and also singling out CWill (if she plays well)- there is no-way-no-how imo they are only getting 23/20 respectively.

Reaction Score
This is not the consensus. But I will throw out predictions:

30+ minutes / 17+ points per game
Paige ( 30 min / 17 ppg)
Christyn (30 min / 18 ppg)

25+ minutes / 12+ points per game
Azzi ( 27 min / 14 ppg)
Aaliyah (28 min / 13 ppg)

18+ minutes / 5+ points per game
Dorka (19 min / 7 ppg)
Evina (22 min / 7 ppg)
Olivia (22 min / 8 ppg)

9+ minutes / 4+ points per game
Nika (10 min / 4 ppg)
Aubrey (9 min / 6 ppg)

As much as Geno talked about the energy that Nika brings to the team when she is in the game, I can't see her goes from a starter to only playing 10 min a game next year and I am expecting Nika to be even better next year.

Reaction Score
As much as Geno talked about the energy that Nika brings to the team when she is in the game, I can't see her goes from a starter to only playing 10 min a game next year and I am expecting Nika to be even better next year.

I've already thrown out the predictions.

Reaction Score
Saylor 5 minutes and Caroline 6 minutes with Mir getting 8 minutes. No way.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
A lot of criticism which is what I expected, but someone had to get the conversation going. 14 talented players…how are they going to get meaningful minutes without decreasing minutes from last year’s starters? How is Geno going to give these new players the game experience that they will need at this level of play? I would love to see someone else’s idea on how this will be accomplished…

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I agree with the 114 points per game being too much but not every player will play every game. A player could average 5 points playing 20 games while another averages 17 playing every game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I don't like the above at all. At all. I'm sure we'll all talk about it a lot more in September/October/November. For now just singling out Paige and also singling out CWill (if she plays well)- there is no-way-no-how imo they are only getting 23/20 respectively.
Why wait until September or October...will you know more then, than what you know now? Isn't the summer dowjones

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
A lot of criticism which is what I expected, but someone had to get the conversation going. 14 talented players…how are they going to get meaningful minutes without decreasing minutes from last year’s starters? How is Geno going to give these new players the game experience that they will need at this level of play? I would love to see someone else’s idea on how this will be accomplished…
Maybe thats a question for Carnac, he knows the future.

Reaction Score
Why wait until September or October...will you know more then, than what you know now? Isn't the summer dowjones

Actually I think it will. For example, I believe recently Chris Dailey made some brief comments of the freshmen and she had mentioned Saylor seems to have been re-injured a bit and she mentioned she was a bit behind. I didn’t know she was hurt. It didn't seem serious but still. These tidbits can give a better idea. I still have no idea so kudos to you.

I do like these discussions as you mentioned to see what others think. You can see how many are down on a starter maybe. Or you can see others want a deep bench. It's interesting to see if those that want a deep bench will reduce the stars minutes or will the secondary players. I prefer you play your stars more than push the bench. I guess a question can be – “how many stars do we have?” I agree with you though about less minutes for some of the frosh though I think someone else didn't.
And I find it interesting you’re only giving Dorka 13. On the other thread some others have her starting.

But can I ask why do you want to penalize Paige so much for being great? The really super elite huskies of the past never got very far below 30 minutes once they established themselves is my guess. Regardless, shouldn't every core player learn how to play with Paige as much as possible so when they are in tough games they've had a decent amount of experience doing so?

Reaction Score
There is pretty much zero chance that Paige will only average 23 min per game.

Hey, I want her to play 40. But if Geno ever will have any leverage on her it's this season. There will be 300 minutes of talent and 200 to share. So if Geno asks Bueckers to do something and she does something else (that goes wrong) then she could sit a half. Last season he couldn't sit her. This could be the year they have a clash of wills. Could be fun to watch.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Actually I think it will. For example, I believe recently Chris Dailey made some brief comments of the freshmen and she had mentioned Saylor seems to have been re-injured a bit and she mentioned she was a bit behind. I didn’t know she was hurt. It didn't seem serious but still. These tidbits can give a better idea. I still have no idea so kudos to you.

I do like these discussions as you mentioned to see what others think. You can see how many are down on a starter maybe. Or you can see others want a deep bench. It's interesting to see if those that want a deep bench will reduce the stars minutes or will the secondary players. I prefer you play your stars more than push the bench. I guess a question can be – “how many stars do we have?” I agree with you though about less minutes for some of the frosh though I think someone else didn't.
And I find it interesting you’re only giving Dorka 13. On the other thread some others have her starting.

But can I ask why do you want to penalize Paige so much for being great? The really super elite huskies of the past never got very far below 30 minutes once they established themselves is my guess. Regardless, shouldn't every core player learn how to play with Paige as much as possible so when they are in tough games they've had a decent amount of experience doing so?

For the sake of this discussion it could be germane to mention that in the 2001-2002 season UConn had 11 players (2 redshirted...leaving 9 players)...Sue Bird got 29 minutes; Swin Cash got 27 minutes; Asjha Jones got 24 minutes; DT got 28 minutes; Tamika Williams had her minutes managed because of injuries; Jessica Moore and Ashley Battle were Red Shirted as freshmen. The rest of the team (Ashley Valley, Morgan Valley, Maria Conlon, Stacey Marron), wasn't anywhere as deep compared to this year's squad.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do we know who the starters will be? I’d really like to get everyone’s opinion on that.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Just my opinion: To start the season: Paige Beuckers, Evina Westbrook, Aaliyah Edwards, Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams

After the holidays...there will be some tweeking with Nika Muhl, Azzi Fudd and Dorka Juhasz being inserted into the starting line-up from time to time (Azzi Fudd for Evina Westbrook; Nika Muhl for Christyn Williams and Dorka Juhasz for Oliva Nelson-Ododa). By the end of the season...I believe it will be Paige Beuckers, Azzi Fudd, Aaliyah Edwards, Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams. Evina, Dorka and Nika will all get a boat load of minutes too.

Reaction Score
For the sake of this discussion it could be germane to mention that in the 2001-2002 season UConn had 11 players (2 redshirted...leaving 9 players)...Sue Bird got 29 minutes; Swin Cash got 27 minutes; Asjha Jones got 24 minutes; DT got 28 minutes; Tamika Williams had her minutes managed because of injuries; Jessica Moore and Ashley Battle were Red Shirted as freshmen. The rest of the team (Ashley Valley, Morgan Valley, Maria Conlon, Stacey Marron), wasn't anywhere as deep compared to this year's squad.

Why does it matter which team was deeper? You brought up the discussion of minutes. The point I've made for this year and many years is to play your best. This isn't grammar school where everyone has to play. Read on here as well when UCONN loses or they play lousy - there is little cheering for good effort. So when these threads come up regarding minutes- the question shouldn't be how much of a deep bench we have. It's what gives us the best chance to win. And - do we have elite players that deserve big minutes just as for example Sue Bird got. And DT got and Maya got and Stewie got etc.? The question I asked was about our superstar's minutes- it was specifically about Paige. She is one one of the players on the list to discuss. And unless Geno wants to bring her along slowly because of the ankle or she has some other injury - the superstar is going to get more than 23 minutes.

Geno has made a promise to try to win championships. While he hasn't won one in a while- playing your best players is the best way to win championships. All the kids that come here- they talk about wanting to win championships. Why should Paige be punished for being the best in wcbb yet only give her 23 minutes? Why shouldn't the better players on this team have a better shot (i.e. more minutes) to play with her also in order to achieve that goal (by getting those necessary important minutes in which they learn how to work together with her to better execute as a team?) ? Geno made a promise to his teams; And playing the best players is a way to achieve that promise.

That's why I asked why only give her 23? If you are saying it's because the other players are good enough - well that's why my 1st post was no-way-no-how Geno is going to let that happen and only give her 23 imo. The team will be better and better prepared vs the elite teams if you give her closer to 30 just as Geno seems to have done for the many years prior.

Reaction Score
No criticism here. All opinions have at least some merit :) Folks try to "smooth" out the minutes among all the players, but I'm strongly of the opinion that not every player will play every game, and 2 or 3 players will only see the last 2 or 3 minutes of the 4th quarter. There is no reason for a coach to give 8 or 10 minutes to a player every game if that player is not going to be a significant piece in a critical game. I don't necessarily like it, but that's the way it's going to be.

Reaction Score
I agree with the 114 points per game being too much but not every player will play every game. A player could average 5 points playing 20 games while another averages 17 playing every game.
For the same reason the minutes per game will not add up to 200 (40x5). In games that are in doubt I suspect the norm will be 4 players with DNP Coach's Decision. That is assuming Geno uses a full second unit and a rotation of 10 in competitive games. If anything it is probably more likely he uses less than more than 10. Also the minutes per game are affected by injuries, with players down the rotation getting more minutes per game until that player returns.

What really matters is how many minutes players get against ranked teams. If Geno is not willing to play you in those contests, then you are unlikely to have any impact on the team's ultimate record, because those are the only games where the outcome is in doubt. The rotation for expected easy wins might be one or two bigger than that, and if you can't crack the top ten, the last four will probably only see mop up minutes in the fourth quarter of blowouts. That will be difficult because there is lots of talent even on the third string, but it is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom