Next Year's Expectations | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Next Year's Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been "checking" hotel availability in downtown Houston for 4/1/16 t0 4/5/16 for reasonable, cancellable deals. Wasn't crazy about staying at the airport in 2011, but everything else was gone by the time we booked. That drive got to be a bit much, especially after a beer or three at the Gingerman and Flying Saucer...
I applaud you for the knowing that we will be there next year. I know the Houston trip was really cool and especially the after party at the hotel bar with JC in such a relaxed moment knowing this would be his last. I know my brother and I stayed out pretty far also as we were trying to cut the costs down but I wouldn't mind a place closer or at least on that train line. I'm going to check it out also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If it's not enough to look forward to incoming Nationally ranked recruits (Adams, Enoch), or a proven 5 star recruit from last year (D. Ham); then never underestimate the value of veteran play (S. Miller, S. Gibbs, R. Purvis, Brimah, Calhoun, Facey), and least of all, never underestimate the value of proven play (S. Miller, S. Gibbs, RP, D. Ham). Add to this mix, an entire team of players from various schools who were deprived of something they wanted last year more than anything: NCAA postseason and a shot for the Top. No complacency for any of these guys, and an amalgamation of experienced, talented, and proven players joining highly recruited incoming freshman, with an experienced and proven coach at the helm.

I know I'm biased but it's hard to ignore history.
Getting the right players is the first step. there is a lot more that needs to be done. look at some of the great teams, uconn and others that haven't won the NC. After winning multiple NC's I think people forget how much has to go Uconn's way or just how little could derail the dream (think of Brimah against Villanova if he doesn't make that basket).

Reaction Score
Of course people get defensive whenever the almighty JC comes up...you would have to be completely ignorant of our history to see that Calhoun and Ollie both have vastly different comfort levels with taking character risks. I live with someone whose longtime job at the university involved considerable interactions with the AD in general and the MBB program at times, and to sum up what they've told me: Calhoun cared ruthlessly about winning at all costs, much more than he cared about academics or character.

And you know what? We don't have a blue blood program with such a vaunted position in the national CBB hierarchy if Calhoun built the program any other way. So I'm glad he did what he did. There's no conflict between being grateful for the job that Calhoun did and acknowledging that he toed the line often, sometimes crossing it. Ollie has a vastly different mindset that stems from his different background. He will never be the angry, vulgar curmudgeon that we love, but he is a worthy replacement if there ever was one.
STAIRMASTER nailed it. UCONN needed a tough guy, selling a regional NE program into the big time world of hoops.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Of course people get defensive whenever the almighty JC comes up...you would have to be completely ignorant of our history to see that Calhoun and Ollie both have vastly different comfort levels with taking character risks. I live with someone whose longtime job at the university involved considerable interactions with the AD in general and the MBB program at times, and to sum up what they've told me: Calhoun cared ruthlessly about winning at all costs, much more than he cared about academics or character.

And you know what? We don't have a blue blood program with such a vaunted position in the national CBB hierarchy if Calhoun built the program any other way. So I'm glad he did what he did. There's no conflict between being grateful for the job that Calhoun did and acknowledging that he toed the line often, sometimes crossing it. Ollie has a vastly different mindset that stems from his different background. He will never be the angry, vulgar curmudgeon that we love, but he is a worthy replacement if there ever was one.
I think one thing this overlooks, however, is the "Father Flanagan" aspect of Calhoun's character. He saw the good in some of the troubled kids and believed that he could "save" them--if they committed to his brand of hard work and discipline. It didn't always work out, but I don't believe it was for lack of trying on his part.

He and KO have many differences, but I still think our head coach is the toughest guy in the gym.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think one thing this overlooks, however, is the "Father Flanagan" aspect of Calhoun's character. He saw the good in some of the troubled kids and believed that he could "save" them--if they committed to his brand of hard work and discipline. It didn't always work out, but I don't believe it was for lack of trying on his part.

He and KO have many differences, but I still think our head coach is the toughest guy in the gym.

The one thing that's iffy for me is that the "success stories" (Caron Butler sticks out the most) have almost exclusively been the ones who performed well on the court. Part of me thinks that he gave some "love" to go with the "tough" if you were getting it done during games, but that if you weren't doing too hot it would be all nasty screaming Irishman. The key to that kind of approach is balance, and not just with your star players.

Reaction Score
The one thing that's iffy for me is that the "success stories" (Caron Butler sticks out the most) have almost exclusively been the ones who performed well on the court. Part of me thinks that he gave some "love" to go with the "tough" if you were getting it done during games, but that if you weren't doing too hot it would be all nasty screaming Irishman. The key to that kind of approach is balance, and not just with your star players.
Murray Williams. Calhoun basically kicked him off the team (cocaine is a hell of a drug), but always stayed in touch and always did what he could to get Murray jobs, opportunities, and eventually back to school.

He's one of many, I'm sure.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I would count Sticks in that group too. Calhoun cared about the vast majority of them. I think he felt too much that everyone else (school authorities, police authorities) should leave the kids alone and let JC handle it.
On-court demeanor, I much prefer KO. But, as Stair said earlier, we might not ever have gotten here w/o his level of, obsession.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I would count Sticks in that group too. Calhoun cared about the vast majority of them. I think he felt too much that everyone else (school authorities, police authorities) should leave the kids alone and let JC handle it.
On-court demeanor, I much prefer KO. But, as Stair said earlier, we might not ever have gotten here w/o his level of, obsession.

Keep in mind that I don't like having to admit it. I'm not proud of the shenanigans that JC would pull at times, and since most of the Cuse fans I banter with in real life are all close to my age, I'm happy that I don't have to answer for certain stuff. But the game is fixed so that it's the only way to make that big of a jump.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that I don't like having to admit it. I'm not proud of the shenanigans that JC would pull at times, and since most of the Cuse fans I banter with in real life are all close to my age, I'm happy that I don't have to answer for certain stuff. But the game is fixed so that it's the only way to make that big of a jump.
Outside of the accusations surrounding Nate Miles, what are some of shenanigans you speak of? I love KO, but give me a Jim Calhoun in his prime any day of the week.

caw

Reaction Score
Heck the fact Mandeldoves scholarship wasn't straight cancelled is a story in itself.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Mandeldove? That's the shenanigans we're going with?:rolleyes: If it wasn't for Emmert and the NCAA unjustly bending us over retroactively, Mandeldove is a non-story...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Can't answer for others, and I'm a JC fan, but I never liked him grabbing Well rounded guy whose entire life was not basketball. a kid by the front of his shirt and screaming in their face, especially on national TV. The doghouse could get tough. I also thought the he went too far with Miles.

On the other side of the ledger: brilliant basketball mind, great motivator, extremely loyal to players, UCONN, wife & family, fierce competitor able to pull this team into the the top of college by sheer force of will. Don't know if anyone else could have done what he did. Bright guy who had interests beyond bball.

All in all, JC was amazing and we owe him everything. And I like KO's style.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Obviously stuck part of one sentence into another. Too late to edit

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I refuse to make any predictions for next year after my prediction of a three loss season last season....

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Murray Williams. Calhoun basically kicked him off the team (cocaine is a hell of a drug), but always stayed in touch and always did what he could to get Murray jobs, opportunities, and eventually back to school.

He's one of many, I'm sure.
Seems like there are a lot of stories like this. Doug Wiggins was one.
One of the best Calhoun stories was when Travis Knight got drafted by the Bulls, who then renounced his rights, and Calhoun made a number of calls on Knight's behalf, and Knight was quoted something to the effect of, "I never knew he actually liked me," or something.

Reaction Score
Getting the right players is the first step. there is a lot more that needs to be done. look at some of the great teams, uconn and others that haven't won the NC. After winning multiple NC's I think people forget how much has to go Uconn's way or just how little could derail the dream (think of Brimah against Villanova if he doesn't make that basket).
I think you mean Brimah against St. Joes right? That was a crazy play with an element of luck. There's no doubt that to win a NC you need a good team and a small dose of good luck along the way. I'm not saying we're going to win another NC rather now, but rather we'll be in the hunt with an actual shot. But you're right many things still have to go right Along the way.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My scrappy (optimistic) expectations: the AAC ends up the number 1 power bb conference, UConn is the AAC regular season and the AAC tournament champions, 6 AAC teams make the NCAA tournament, everyone is talking about the AAC and ESPN is panicking about the upcoming contract for the conference, 5 teams fold by the end of the first weekend but UConn holds up the conference by winning number 5 (BE, AAC, the acronym doesn't matter) and this precipitates the P5 conferences to start bidding for UConn to join them!!!

My BigErn (lets be real folks) expectations: Rodney steps on the sideline the first pass he receives for a turnover in the first exhibition game and the pitchfork brigade wants to find out if Shaka can be convinced to leave the cattle pastures for the cow pastures. After a few other bumps in the road .............. the AAC ends up the number 1 power bb conference, UConn is the AAC regular season and the AAC tournament champions, 6 AAC teams make the NCAA tournament, everyone is talking about the AAC and ESPN is panicking about the upcoming contract for the conference, 5 teams fold by the end of the first weekend but UConn holds up the conference by winning number 5 (BE, AAC doesn't matter) and this precipitates the P5 conferences to start bidding for UConn to join them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom