Next Years AA and NPOY Candidates | The Boneyard

Next Years AA and NPOY Candidates

Reaction Score
As we know this year Katie Lou, Napheesa, and Gabby were selected for the WBCA AA first team. Gabby also was selected as the Defensive POY. Katie Lou and Napheesa were selected first team AA's by the AP with gabby on the second team. With the addition of Azura into the lineup for next year and her potential as a NPOY and AA candidate could we end up with too many AA candidates? Is there a limit of three for any one team and if so who would be the player left off the AA team?

Reaction Score
Ah, a variation on the weekly question of who starts.

I'm going to get rained on with dislikes here, and I'm a huge, huge Lou fan, but after going 10-10 in 3s, she just didn't play like an All-American. Not saying anyone should have been bumped up ahead of her, just that she just "good" but never great after that. She is a very good player, whose defensive strengths and liabilities are clear; not a good rebounder for her size; a very good, but not great ballhandler; generally a very smart player. Potential to dominate offensively, but gets worn down. If the AA vote had been taken after the season, Gabby and Pheesa would still have been there. But Lou? I bet 2nd or 3rd team, based on the complete body of work. Next year, if Geno can keep her to around 22 minutes/game, maybe we'll see the Lou we all know is there. Looking forward to that, but the jury's still out.

So, I'd say that Lou clearly has the potential to be first team AA again, but also the potential not to be, depending on circumstances. I do think UConn has the potential to max out with 3 players 1st team and (at least) 2 players on 2nd or 3rd team. Hell, the top 7 could be get some mention.

Reaction Score
Ah, a variation on the weekly question of who starts.

I'm going to get rained on with dislikes here, and I'm a huge, huge Lou fan, but after going 10-10 in 3s, she just didn't play like an All-American.

I started typing my "Why is Lou the UConn AA most likely to have her banner revoked by her own fan-base?" diatribe (which is not directed at you @bags27, but rather has been building over the course of the last 3 months), but realized that I would mainly just solidify my perceived persona as a Lou homer, rather than address the issue here that I find frustrating (as well as it would be a little overly dramatic :eek:).

Disclaimer: I understand I am voluntarily choosing to read and respond to posts on this board, because I greatly enjoy this program and the insights of everyone here, but...

I cringe every time I read a post on the board that calls for some sort of intra-team individual comparison. What's the value in comparing the performances of Gabby vs. Pheesa vs. Lou vs. Kia vs. Azura etc. etc. etc.? They're all playing for the same purpose - and exactly none of it has to do with individual honors! I realize you could file this under a very specific "UConn Problems" category, since it indicates the embarrassment of riches with regards to talent, but also seems non-contributory. Maybe it's our job as fans to entertain ourselves through speculation during the too-long offseason, I just find myself hopeful/glad that none of the team actually reads this stuff.
As Teddy Roosevelt is credited with saying:

"[Intra-team] Comparison is the thief of joy." :)

Reaction Score
I started typing my "Why is Lou the UConn AA most likely to have her banner revoked by her own fan-base?" diatribe (which is not directed at you @bags27, but rather has been building over the course of the last 3 months), but realized that I would mainly just solidify my perceived persona as a Lou homer, rather than address the issue here that I find frustrating (as well as it would be a little overly dramatic :eek:).

Disclaimer: I understand I am voluntarily choosing to read and respond to posts on this board, because I greatly enjoy this program and the insights of everyone here, but...

I cringe every time I read a post on the board that calls for some sort of intra-team individual comparison. What's the value in comparing the performances of Gabby vs. Pheesa vs. Lou vs. Kia vs. Azura etc. etc. etc.? They're all playing for the same purpose - and exactly none of it has to do with individual honors! I realize you could file this under a very specific "UConn Problems" category, since it indicates the embarrassment of riches with regards to talent, but also seems non-contributory. Maybe it's our job as fans to entertain ourselves through speculation during the too-long offseason, I just find myself hopeful/glad that none of the team actually reads this stuff.
As Teddy Roosevelt is credited with saying:

"[Intra-team] Comparison is the thief of joy." :)
I honestly don't follow your line of reasoning here. I'm not comparing Lou to her teammates at all. I'm evaluating her performance against other teams and trying to posit whether she is worthy of an honor bestowed outside of team considerations. Happy to be corrected if I've misread your post. I do like your quotation--whoever said it--and I, too, sometimes feel like a Lou homer!

Reaction Score
Sorry, @bags27, I should have structured my post more clearly - my fault. My comment that included your name was simply to point out that over the course of many threads and polls by many posters over the last few weeks - not just your comment, I've never seen an already-awarded UConn AA come under so much analysis of whether they were deserving at the time (other BY posts made previously) or are deserving moving forward. Of course Lou will have to prove herself over again next year in order to obtain first-team status, since every season is a clean slate (although I think pre-season AA teams may prove this isn't necessarily the case). Pheesa and Gabby must do the same.

My post-disclaimer comments (not directed at you in any way, though I see I didn't clarify that) were more about the nature of this original thread, which I think points to a uniquely UConn issue. I'm probably misplacing my sentiments, I just don't enjoy the general process of speculating on the force-ranking of the players within the team in competing for limited spots on an AA team that probably more of them could make if it weren't for the rules/perceptions voters have regarding number of players from one team. Like I said, "UConn Problems."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As we know this year Katie Lou, Napheesa, and Gabby were selected for the WBCA AA first team. Gabby also was selected as the Defensive POY. Katie Lou and Napheesa were selected first team AA's by the AP with gabby on the second team. With the addition of Azura into the lineup for next year and her potential as a NPOY and AA candidate could we end up with too many AA candidates? Is there a limit of three for any one team and if so who would be the player left off the AA team?

Just leave room for Kalani Brown. I don't see all of the players making AA, but it sure is a good problem to have. We could have an all-UCONN team and then an AA team, have them play and see who wins. My money would be on the all-UCONN team.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am not eliminating anyone, as a matter of fact I am adding two.
Gabby
Napheesa
Lou
Azura
Megan A.K.A. Megatron

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here's my prediction:
1st Team:
A'ja Wilson
Gabby Williams
KLS
Kelsey Mitchell
Kalani Brown

2nd Team:
Napheesa Collier
Azure Stevens
Arike Ogunbowale
Jordin Canada
Brooke McCarty

3rd:
Brittany McPhee
Sabrina Ionescu
Diamond Deshields
Lexie Brown
Asia Durr

Before everyone jumps on me for putting Collier on 2nd team, do keep in mind her stats (or KLS's or Williams) will likely be greatly reduced due to a wider spread of offensive talent in the lineup. Collier is fantastic, but I think will be the most victimized statistically by Stevens' presence in regards to rebounds and shot attempts. Also, never before has a team had 3 players on the top AP team, and if it was going to happen in any year, it was this season. Nor has a team ever had 4 players on the top 2 teams, but I'm predicting that could happen.

Reaction Score
Here's my prediction:
1st Team:
A'ja Wilson
Gabby Williams
KLS
Kelsey Mitchell
Kalani Brown

2nd Team:
Napheesa Collier
Azure Stevens
Arike Ogunbowale
Jordin Canada
Brooke McCarty

3rd:
Brittany McPhee
Sabrina Ionescu
Diamond Deshields
Lexie Brown
Asia Durr

Before everyone jumps on me for putting Collier on 2nd team, do keep in mind her stats (or KLS's or Williams) will likely be greatly reduced due to a wider spread of offensive talent in the lineup. Collier is fantastic, but I think will be the most victimized statistically by Stevens' presence in regards to rebounds and shot attempts. Also, never before has a team had 3 players on the top AP team, and if it was going to happen in any year, it was this season. Nor has a team ever had 4 players on the top 2 teams, but I'm predicting that could happen.
I have considered your opinion and now it's time to jump. I feel that instead of being victimized in any way by Z's presence, Collier's overall production on offense and defense will explode to incredible heights this comming season and she will become another of Uconns greatest. This will mainly be due to Z's presense in the post and Gabby's help there also. Collier was required to be a post presense along with Gabby because of their incredible skills and physicality under the rim. No one else on the team had this ability. Now Collier will be able to roam all over the floor and create havoc.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have considered your opinion and now it's time to jump. I feel that instead of being victimized in any way by Z's presence, Collier's overall production on offense and defense will explode to incredible heights this comming season and she will become another of Uconns greatest. This will mainly be due to Z's presense in the post and Gabby's help there also. Collier was required to be a post presense along with Gabby because of their incredible skills and physicality under the rim. No one else on the team had this ability. Now Collier will be able to roam all over the floor and create havoc.

Collier was able to roam all over the floor. Her inside out ability is one of her best assets. She took a ton of shots from 13-20 feet. I never felt that she was limited in her role.

And I just don't see how Collier can be much more productive offensively. This year she averaged more PPG than Taurasi/Stewart ever did in college and shot almost 70% from the floor with a great number of shots being hit outside of the paint. She'll continue to improve and make her game rounded, but a lot of the looks she got will go to Stevens and I think her per game averages will drop as a result.

I also think Williams will get more credit next year,which she deserves. Voters have never put 3 players from the same school on 1st Team and I don't see that changing next year when the offense will be even more spread out with Walker and Stevens in the mix.

Reaction Score
bags27, you're not a huge, huge Lou fan if you're just criticizing her. Did you mention that Napheesa missed two layups against Mississippi St., that Saniya took the last shot too early in the shot clock, did you mention the eight missed free throws, Gabby's five turnovers, Kia's 6 points in 35 minutes, which included 1 assist and 3 turnovers, Gabby and Napheesa's foul trouble? Did you mention Lou shot 50 % from 2, from 3 and overall, did you mention she got hit in the throat and still managed to hit 2 free throws that gave UConn a chance to win? No, of course not. They didn't lose because of any one individual player; they lost as a team. Also, I'm tired of all the criticism heaped on Katie Lou. Who else threw up through an entire game - Shea's words - and still managed to lead the team in scoring? Who else got hit in the face, got a black eye and still kept playing? Who else keeps getting hit in the face, knocked down, pushed, shoved and still keeps playing? Katie Lou knows it makes no sense to fight Gabby and Napheesa for rebounds. There have been a number of times when she was there for the rebound, but smartly Katie Lou chose not to fight her teammate for the rebound. When you can do it better, then you can criticize Lou, bags27.

Reaction Score
KLS will need to get much stronger over the summer. A little muscle on her "tough" skin and bones will help her through the struggle of contact. Then maybe she can actually survive the WNBA? That is a real contact sport.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Here's my prediction:
1st Team:
A'ja Wilson
Gabby Williams
KLS
Kelsey Mitchell
Kalani Brown

2nd Team:
Napheesa Collier
Azure Stevens
Arike Ogunbowale
Jordin Canada
Brooke McCarty

3rd:
Brittany McPhee
Sabrina Ionescu
Diamond Deshields
Lexie Brown
Asia Durr

Good call bballnut and good explanations. I from my biased point of view would like to see Canada over Mitchell on first team as I am hoping we can put things together next year having underachieved a little to this point. I would also put Billings on third over McPhee, she benefitted the most from Stanford seniors, and I think Smith could be their best player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby may knock either Pheesa or Lou down to second team. Or the unthinkable could happen ... Five Huskies on first team. :D

Reaction Score
Gabby should have been first team all along. When Rebecca, Doris and Kara all agree that Gabby should have been first team, and Jay Bilas says she's the most complete player in college basketball, the voters didn't do their job. Not everything Gabby does shows up in the box score, and since Katie Lou is my favorite player, there is no favoritism towards Gabby.

Reaction Score
IF Tennessee has a good eyar I could see MR, DD, and Nared on this list. Nared is a tremendous player and often overlooked b/c of TN's record and other star players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom