Next Year | The Boneyard

Next Year

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As much as we've tried to not speculate about the teams potential for next year, we always can't keep from getting the thought out of our minds. We have to concentrate on this year, because we have a very good chance of winning the NC with the very talented players we have now. We talk about our freshmen, our juniors, the progress or regression of each player, who is playing well, and who is not. That is our team, a team that we love as is. This is the team that hopefully will give us, as loyal fans, a moment of joy which will carry us through the summer months before we start over again next year. Well, it's hard not to think about next year after reading Alexas piece in the Hartford Courant. If you haven't seen it yet, its about Azzi, and her admiration of her good friend Paige. She is looking forward to playing with her because she is a great teammate, about how she and her family watch UCONN games together, how she trades texts with fellow recruit Caroline Ducharme during UCONN games. They are already in the family and can't wait for their turn. For us, we already know how much fun it will be for us as fans. I'll tell you one thing, as much as Paige drives Geno crazy, next year he will go nuts having to deal with the two of them (plus Nika). BUT, as I said, that is next year. Stay focused, we have a lot of work to do, and you know what? I think we all will have a very enjoyable summer.

Reaction Score
As much as we've tried to not speculate about the teams potential for next year, we always can't keep from getting the thought out of our minds. We have to concentrate on this year, because we have a very good chance of winning the NC with the very talented players we have now. We talk about our freshmen, our juniors, the progress or regression of each player, who is playing well, and who is not. That is our team, a team that we love as is. This is the team that hopefully will give us, as loyal fans, a moment of joy which will carry us through the summer months before we start over again next year. Well, it's hard not to think about next year after reading Alexas piece in the Hartford Courant. If you haven't seen it yet, its about Azzi, and her admiration of her good friend Paige. She is looking forward to playing with her because she is a great teammate, about how she and her family watch UCONN games together, how she trades texts with fellow recruit Caroline Ducharme during UCONN games. They are already in the family and can't wait for their turn. For us, we already know how much fun it will be for us as fans. I'll tell you one thing, as much as Paige drives Geno crazy, next year he will go nuts having to deal with the two of them (plus Nika). BUT, as I said, that is next year. Stay focused, we have a lot of work to do, and you know what? I think we all will have a very enjoyable summer.
It hard to contain the excitement, right?!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here is the referenced article link. Some interesting things I do not think we knew

I apologize to Alexa. I know she had talked to Azzi but it seemed she did noy get any info but this article has alot.

Azzi Fudd made the 500-mile trek from northern Virginia to Knoxville, Tenn., last month to watch UConn take on Tennessee — a matchup that, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, featured a shell of a big-game atmosphere that a top-25 showdown between storied rivals deserves.

“I still can’t really wrap my head around the fact that she’s in college and she’s at UConn,” Fudd said, “but all of the stuff that she’s doing doesn’t surprise me at all. The crazy shots that she’s made? Those are just typical Paige moments and Paige plays.”

“She has always done a really good job, and she’s doing a really good job now, of just brushing off and putting [her success] on her teammates,” Fudd said. “I think that’s also another reason why I’m excited to play with her. She’s such a team player. It’s just fun being her teammate.”

and an assessment of the team

“I think it’s amazing, watching them from the start of the season to now, how much they’ve improved as a team, but also as individual players,” Fudd said. “Watching them gets me so excited, seeing how good they are and how much I can’t wait to play with all of the girls.

Also Azzi talking about trying to feel 100% on the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the addition of Azzi will make a very big difference next year. One of the issues that is holding UConn back a little this year is the presence of only one "can't let them have an open shot" player. Paige. I'm not saying that no one else on the team is a good shooter, I'm saying that we only have one shooter that the other team's must focus on. Next year we will have two 50% from 3-point shooters. An opposing team won't be able to drop off either Paige or Azzi. That is going to stretch defenses and leave lots of room for the other players, both in the paint and on the 3-point line. This is going to a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm not wishing away this season, it's a heckuva lot of fun. But next year (knock on wood) is going to be something else.

Feel The Bern Desk GIF by Bernie Sanders

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
and just the internal competition will make everyone better.
That is one of the reasons I believe Piath will improve faster than many people think. Practicing everyday against two players as tall as she is and in some cases more experienced. She will go against Ono, Amari and Edwards. That should help all of them to improve their skills on a regular basis.

Reaction Score

I see a very strong front court coming together as well. Prospects Nation has DeBerry as the #1 post player in the nation in this senior class. So if UConn is able to combine either at one time, or subbing for one or the other, Edwards (a can't miss AA soon), ONO, DeBerry, plus- who knows?- an improved and productive Gabriel, then that opens up unlimited opportunities for the guards to run wild!!! Can you imagine what Azzi and Paige could do with effective blocks and offensive rebounds? Can you imagine what they will do with quick outlet passes from under the bucket? They'll have the defense back on their heals and struggling to get back to defend possession after possession.

And what happens if Ducharme and Poffenbarger develop into legitimate 3-point threats, along with Muhl? And looking at their heights, Poffenbarger and Griffin are both over 6'. So they pose inside threats of their own. And one year later, there's Ice- also the #1 ranked (Prospects Nation) post player in the nation.

This two-year recruiting haul has the potential to rival the talent from two decades ago. Could be an instant classic!

Reaction Score
Hopefully Azzi will come in shooting lights out next season, after seeing Williams shoot 2-12 from deep, and Nika shooting 1-5 from deep those shots could go to Fudd, and if Azzi isn’t a player who you can leave alone out there then the team should be really dangerous next year and it’ll be hard to keep Azzi off the court. If Azzi does come out knocking down the long ball consistently the nickname Auto Fudd can be given to her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom