Next year sans Kia & Gabby... | The Boneyard

Next year sans Kia & Gabby...

Reaction Score
Watching that lock-down defense by both Kia & Gabby that set the foundation for the USF win, I could not stop my senior mind from pondering who is going to step up next year to take their place.

Are we going to have a double-whammy lock-down defense next season?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watching that lock-down defense by both Kia & Gabby that set the foundation for the USF win, I could not stop my senior mind from pondering who is going to step up next year to take their place.

I really don’t want to contemplate that question just yet. Suffice it to say that Gabby & Kia may be the two best defensive players on one team anywhere in the country.

Reaction Score
Watching the defense yesterday, you are absolutely correct about Gabby and Kia as well as the rest of the team. I would also say that the bench played well defensively and offensively yesterday, at least the best that I have seen. I think that history shows that the young folks will evolve and become superior defensive players. Nice to see the baskets falling for these folks which will bolster confidence. It would be nice to see that team defense becomes even better right through the championship game.

Reaction Score
As good as it gets? This was the most nearly "perfect" game I've ever watched UConn play. No team in the nation could have withstood the Husky onslaught. A game well worth watching over and over just for the marvel quality.
Post-game notes: After the game Kiti Laska discovered something in her uni, which turned out to be Kia Nurse. They were surgically separated.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I really don't think that is going to be a problem. Crystal and Napheesa both played superb defense (Pheesa had 4 blocks). Also we can see Z getting better every game. By the end of the year her game is going to be awesome and possibly fearful to the opposition.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As good as it gets? This was the most nearly "perfect" game I've ever watched UConn play. No team in the nation could have withstood the Husky onslaught. A game well worth watching over and over just for the marvel quality.
Post-game notes: After the game Kiti Laska discovered something in her uni, which turned out to be Kia Nurse. They were surgically separated.

I just did.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I was thinking the exact same thing throughout the game. They are both "heart and soul" type players and lock-down defenders. I don't see next year's team having anything like them. Of course Geno and crew will adjust and that team will be awesome anyway.

Confession: The sadness of knowing another group (duo) of seniors is approaching the home stretch has started. I've got to learn to be stronger, I guess. Would love to see them run the table and go out with only two losses a la Saniya and TLaw. Like those two, they'll be able to say they never lost a game in regulation. And in this case only one in which they started.

Reaction Score
Watching the defense yesterday, you are absolutely correct about Gabby and Kia as well as the rest of the team. I would also say that the bench played well defensively and offensively yesterday, at least the best that I have seen. I think that history shows that the young folks will evolve and become superior defensive players. Nice to see the baskets falling for these folks which will bolster confidence. It would be nice to see that team defense becomes even better right through the championship game.

Nice to see us outscore the opposition in all four quarters, including the final, which had mostly bench players. Everyone from the bench got at least one positive mark on the stat sheet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Watching that lock-down defense by both Kia & Gabby that set the foundation for the USF win, I could not stop my senior mind from pondering who is going to step up next year to take their place. Are we going to have a double-whammy lock-down defense next season?
I hear there will be a couple kids on the roster from Georgia that know a little bit about playing defense.

Reaction Score
I really don’t want to contemplate that question just yet. Suffice it to say that Gabby & Kia may be the two best defensive players on one team anywhere in the country.
They are irreplaceable. Toughest defender ( Kia ) and most athletic defender ( Gabby ). But we have continued to thrive after losing to graduation the best player in college BB ( Stewie), the best point guard ( Moriah ) and another " best" ( Morgan ). As others have said; young players will " step up," and the coaches will adjust the defense to the strengths that remain on the court Our defense has always been the best, and it will remain so. Somehow.

Reaction Score
So we get Z ,a 6'6" shot blocking machine and a massive wing span to disrupt passing lanes, in exchange for losing maybe the greatest athlete to play at UCONN. We won't be as quick but we will be much longer. Seems like a push.
We also get another gifted athlete in MW to replace Kia. As others have pointed out her defensive game should grow in her soph year but probably not to the level attained by the masterful Kia until later in her UCONN career. IMO, Kia sets the tone on the defensive end and that leadership will be missed but MW has a chance to be very bit as good and possibly better if she puts the work in.
Overall....zero worries on the defense for next year.

Reaction Score
Kia and Gabby are two tough cookies that will be greatly missed next season..................Coombs can and I think will be a lock down defender and just think of the possibilities when an agile 6'4" forward/center is added to the defensive mix................it's not going to be fun at all for the opposition..............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom