Next Up: Tulsa Record Redux | The Boneyard

Next Up: Tulsa Record Redux

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It is what it is, and what is next is Tulsa...

IMG_1522.JPG

Reaction Score
It is what it is, and what is next is Tulsa...

View attachment 19370
It was what it was --and it was a superb first half 77 percent shooting--19 of 20 --when was the last time Uconn shot that well??
Half time score had Uconn up by over 30 points---. This was no 90 point win, darn. Napheseea shot 12-14 ended with 25 point, KLS over 20--Gabby should sit the next few games no triple double--no double double--only 16 points.
I have to admit the second half let a lot to be desired--way too many 3's shot and made by Tonya's troops. But by the standard of 364 of the 365 Div 1 teams that was a pretty good night. (I'm not sure exactly who many Div 1 schools have WBB teams Best take away from the game was---Danger played and shot and attacked---she was a bit rusty on D but she attacked the basket like a veteran Div 1 player. Butler put in nice minutes --she gets a bit better every game. Would have like to have seen Kyla get more PT in front of Mom and Dad. Katie Lou doesn't get much credit for this game--she was only extra special in scoring, rebounding, D. Not up to her superlative games.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Tulsa is in for a world of pain. Not with losses on their record against this kind of competition. No dispespect intended towards the opponents, but this looks to be ugly. Just waiting on that South Carolina showdown.

Thanks to the OP for keeping the mojo going strong. :)

Reaction Score
Katie Lou doesn't get much credit for this game--she was only extra special in scoring, rebounding, D. Not up to her superlative games.

I thought that Katie Lou played as well in the first half as she ever has. It was just different. Didn't stand behind the arc and wave, but attacked inside, over and over again. She needs to do a lot more of that. Not only is she as good in there as anyone else on the team but it even opens up her outside game because they can never be sure she'll stay there. She hasn't had that much practice on that part of her game at this level so she can only get better and better. I've been waiting, hoping to see this.
I seem to remember someone else who came on like this in their sophomore year. In fact I think they were roommates.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
They will come in having won three of their last four. Whatever Tulsa's "best shot" is, UConn is going to receive it. But what else is new? The AAC opponents play UConn like it's their Superbowl or something. Hey wait,

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno and staff will rest Kia for this game, giving her ankle a chance to heal a little. Not likely, I suspect, but worth considering. He could start Molly and still win by 50.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno and staff will rest Kia for this game, giving her ankle a chance to heal a little. Not likely, I suspect, but worth considering. He could start Molly and still win by 50.

Not a bad idea. But if she practices, she'll play. Games are a vaycay compared to Geno's practices.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

It would be really useful experience for Molly. She is going to break out soon and not look back.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Not a bad idea. But if she practices, she'll play. Games are a vaycay compared to Geno's practices.
Yes, I assumed she would not practice as well. 'Course, she's got a long starting streak going, so I doubt it will happen.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yes, I assumed she would not practice as well. 'Course, she's got a long starting streak going, so I doubt it will happen.

True. I was thinking that, and should have said it. But if there is anybody on the team who Geno would trust sans practice, it would be Kia. So, back to your original thought, which was a worthwhile one. My best reply should have been "I dunno what they'll do."

Reaction Score
I thought that Katie Lou played as well in the first half as she ever has. It was just different. Didn't stand behind the arc and wave, but attacked inside, over and over again. She needs to do a lot more of that. Not only is she as good in there as anyone else on the team but it even opens up her outside game because they can never be sure she'll stay there. She hasn't had that much practice on that part of her game at this level so she can only get better and better. I've been waiting, hoping to see this.
I seem to remember someone else who came on like this in their sophomore year. In fact I think they were roommates.

If you follow any of my posting on KLS---you shall see a pattern of my view of her current greatness --and future superlative greatness.
Some think she isn't currently to be spoken in the same comments with DT, May< Stewie---I think right now at this time she belongs in that category--and she can only get better. That's my opinion--won't change. There aren't enough good arguments to change that view.
All the truly great Uconn WBB players had good frosh years, KLS did--not great--good--and came on strong in Soph, stronger as jr's and hold your breath's as Seniors. Each got progressively greater. Should we expect less from KLS, Colllier, Gabby, Danger, Kia//???

KLS had 15 points in the first half---and about 5 (I didn't see the total) in the second half --Collier had 25 Gabby 16--- the rest of the team got abt 33 points. 77 percent first half shooting, 64 for the game--nearly impossible scoring. Not too shabby -- for a not a great second half.

Reaction Score
It would be really useful experience for Molly. She is going to break out soon and not look back.
I would hope you are correct about Molly. The kid is smart, maybe too smart and thinks when she should only react from instinct.
Being a realist and have seen too many I had the same hopes for, not deliver beyond what was first seen--I wonder. The last one I saw bounce around on Defense and have trouble scoring--that i expected big things from--is now in Arizona.
Still I hope, and wait for the break out.

Reaction Score
They will come in having won three of their last four. Whatever Tulsa's "best shot" is, UConn is going to receive it. But what else is new? The AAC opponents play UConn like it's their Superbowl or something. Hey wait,

Poor Tulsa --I like the town--but the team has a long way to go. Seems Uconn just finished destroying any ego they may have left--and now they must accept another drubbing--and there is little they can do.

Reaction Score
It was what it was --and it was a superb first half 77 percent shooting--19 of 20 --when was the last time Uconn shot that well??
Half time score had Uconn up by over 30 points---. This was no 90 point win, darn. Napheseea shot 12-14 ended with 25 point, KLS over 20--Gabby should sit the next few games no triple double--no double double--only 16 points.
I have to admit the second half let a lot to be desired--way too many 3's shot and made by Tonya's troops. But by the standard of 364 of the 365 Div 1 teams that was a pretty good night. (I'm not sure exactly who many Div 1 schools have WBB teams Best take away from the game was---Danger played and shot and attacked---she was a bit rusty on D but she attacked the basket like a veteran Div 1 player. Butler put in nice minutes --she gets a bit better every game. Would have like to have seen Kyla get more PT in front of Mom and Dad. Katie Lou doesn't get much credit for this game--she was only extra special in scoring, rebounding, D. Not up to her superlative games.

The first half was other-worldly, B'way. But that high was, as you suggested, mitigated by "losing" the last half. The Owls had seemingly fled back to the barn, the side of which they couldn't seem to hit with a medicine ball, when all of a sudden every shot lofted skyward seemed to plunk into the net. We've all seen this before, but it irks. That's how spoiled we are: it's no longer about winning but about MOV. That's dumb--but true. Kudos to Temple for persisting.

Reaction Score
Geno mentioned at the end of game interview that the Uconn team was mentally tired from all the games they have played and the minutes they have had to play with the bench. Danger when she plays up to her skill level can be an asset--Butler, with all the negative postings, has given very good minutes. I don't think Molly is ready, even as a fill in, to start. I'd like to see Kia rest and Collier --in 11 days they need to be at their best.

Reaction Score
The first half was other-worldly, B'way. But that high was, as you suggested, mitigated by "losing" the last half. The Owls had seemingly fled back to the barn, the side of which they couldn't seem to hit with a medicine ball, when all of a sudden every shot lofted skyward seemed to plunk into the net. We've all seen this before, but it irks. That's how spoiled we are: it's no longer about winning but about MOV. That's dumb--but true. Kudos to Temple for persisting.

Temple is better that their OOC record. It wasn't the score that was the issue--it was the uncontested 3's.
I agree Temple gave Uconn one heck of a run for there second half money. The MOV that looked like it would be 60 or more suddenly remained in the 30's.

Reaction Score
If you follow any of my posting on KLS---you shall see a pattern of my view of her current greatness --and future superlative greatness.
Some think she isn't currently to be spoken in the same comments with DT, May< Stewie---I think right now at this time she belongs in that category--and she can only get better. That's my opinion--won't change. There aren't enough good arguments to change that view.
All the truly great Uconn WBB players had good frosh years, KLS did--not great--good--and came on strong in Soph, stronger as jr's and hold your breath's as Seniors. Each got progressively greater. Should we expect less from KLS, Colllier, Gabby, Danger, Kia//???

KLS had 15 points in the first half---and about 5 (I didn't see the total) in the second half --Collier had 25 Gabby 16--- the rest of the team got abt 33 points. 77 percent first half shooting, 64 for the game--nearly impossible scoring. Not too shabby -- for a not a great second half.
IMO DT was the best player on her team when she was a soph. Her teammates were the 1-2-4-6 TASS seniors. Who would soph KLS have beaten out to start on that team?

Reaction Score
IMO DT was the best player on her team when she was a soph. Her teammates were the 1-2-4-6 TASS seniors. Who would soph KLS have beaten out to start on that team?
In terms of DT--Geno would agree and had already established DT as the top player---in the OKC NC game--
it was DT who backed down Dales (their top player --years older than DT) and was called on for nearly every important score--the end of that game was a bit iffy---but most of us forgot that because we believed in DT.
Amen---Amen!! I could not have said it better on either player---Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno mentioned at the end of game interview that the Uconn team was mentally tired from all the games they have played and the minutes they have had to play with the bench. Danger when she plays up to her skill level can be an asset--Butler, with all the negative postings, has given very good minutes. I don't think Molly is ready, even as a fill in, to start. I'd like to see Kia rest and Collier --in 11 days they need to be at their best.
Out of curiosity: If (which I consider unlikely in the extreme) Kia sits, why wouldn't Danger start, not Molly? Saniya can easily play the 2 guard and may even be more comfortable there. I would think it more likely that Kia's minutes would be limited, especially if it's an early blow-out, and the extra minutes would be distributed among the bench players, all of whom can certainly use them.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity: If (which I consider unlikely in the extreme) Kia sits, why wouldn't Danger start, not Molly? Saniya can easily play the 2 guard and may even be more comfortable there. I would think it more likely that Kia's minutes would be limited, especially if it's an early blow-out, and the extra minutes would be distributed among the bench players, all of whom can certainly use them.

If you want an argument ---I can't agree with you more. Molly, in my estimation is AT Maybe a year away, if then. I know that sounds nasty--and I only wish Molly showed me more so I could believe she was more ready than I think. She has the skill set--not the confidence set. Klya has the confidence set and not the Div 1 Experience. If Molly is to start--only with a weak team--and Geno will believe Danger's foot issues need more rest time---so he'll not have another choice. Resting Saniya /Kia\\Danger is
closest to being ready--the kid can handle the ball, the point, and can score--her defense is an issue. So to use her Geno has to devise a defense that protects against Dangers weaknesses--her up side is so high she shall start--when?? only Geno knows.
I think, as you do, that Kia's and others shall have their minutes lessened as we approach the NCAA;s --the top 5 all need to have their legs and mental fog recovered. So in every game coming except the USC game the Bench shall earn it's keep.

Reaction Score
I obviously have no special insight into the mind of Geno, but I suspect he wasn't as upset with last night as some people expected him to be because he saw the second half of the Temple game as the "butt kicking" he has said the team needs.

They (all of them, not just the starters) need to be reminded once again that in spite of appearances to the contrary, winning a National Championship is not easy. It will be interesting to see if the message was received and how that translates into their play against Tulsa on Sunday.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Jump start on the prediction thread for this game: Good guys hang another L on Tulsa.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Could have been Tamika.

Asjha, Swin & KLS would have then held down the post duties by committee with Jess & Tamika to spell them. They'd have scored 25 points in the first 10 minutes pretty much every game.

Or, if not a starter, she'd have been a terror as the first off the bench.

Reaction Score
I obviously have no special insight into the mind of Geno, but I suspect he wasn't as upset with last night as some people expected him to be because he saw the second half of the Temple game as the "butt kicking" he has said the team needs.

They (all of them, not just the starters) need to be reminded once again that in spite of appearances to the contrary, winning a National Championship is not easy. It will be interesting to see if the message was received and how that translates into their play against Tulsa on Sunday.

Few of us have a direct line into Geno's thinking. However some, with years of experience watching, listing to his word, and his actions after games get a strong inkling of what Geno has in mind. The after game interview, not presser, was interesting in what he said and what he didn't say. I would have much preferred to have attended his after game practices-
However--Tonya must have glowed for her team's second half--see kids we CAN stay with the top team in the country--it really helps in making believers of her team into her system!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With respect to Kia's ankle injury - The medical staff (trainers) can tape Kia's ankle so tight (and strap on an "air cast"), she won't feel a thing. They can re-wrap it at half time. The tape is for the support, the cast is to keep her from turning the ankle again. I speak from experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom