Next opponent speculation thread. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next opponent speculation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
highly doubt Hurley brings our guys down to Arkansas
yeah thats silly. i thought the idea was not having to fly anywhere...otherwise we'd be on the way to freaking spokane to play gonzaga since theyre up for anything

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really though- is there an update? I can’t believe we are missing on games this week when we didn’t test positive for anything.

Reaction Score
yeah thats silly. i thought the idea was not having to fly anywhere...otherwise we'd be on the way to freaking spokane to play gonzaga since theyre up for anything

This type of thinking is weak. Other top programs like Gonzaga, Nova, Kentucky, etc are up for games anywhere. This is UCONN, we aren't looking to be NIT champs.

You can't be the best if you are shying away from big time games. Big time programs play big time games against high level competition wherever it is necessary. We are UCONN.

#ANYTIMEANYWHERE

Reaction Score
Saint Bonaventure.

They had a solid OOC schedule in Bubbleville canceled: Vermont, Stephen F. Austin, Towson...

As of now, their season starts Saturday against St. Francis (PA) and they have Akron, Hofstra and Buffalo as their OOC games before A-10 games.

As one of the better A-10 teams with legitimate tournament aspirations, they would need a win again a team like UConn to enhance their at-large resume.

On the flip side, the Bonnies are a top-75 junior-laden team who would pose a good challenge for UConn. Osun Osunniyi is solid post player (10.8 ppg, 57.6 fg%) and a defensive force in the paint (2.5 bpg) while the Bonnies return four junior guards/wings who averaged double-digits last season.

Siena

Iona is getting all the hype, but Siena is the best team in the MAAC. They haven't played yet and start their season with conference play at Fairfield Friday and Saturday. Play in Storrs on Wednesday, hang Thursday and then play Friday and Saturday.

Jaden Pickett is the star Siena and the best player in the MAAC. The 6'4 205 lead guard averaged 15.1p, 4.6r, 6.0a, 1.1b, 1.0s and hit 37% of 3P last season and he has legit NBA potential. He'd be a good prep for playing against a David Duke of Providence or a Nate Johnson/Paul Scruggs of Xavier. He pairs up with 6'7 215 forward Manny Camper who is a double-double machine who is also capable from deep.

Siena bolstered their frontcourt over the summer by signing URI transfer Dana Tate and Detroit transfer Harrison Curry, as well as backup guard Nick Hopkins from Belmont.

Not as big of a game as Bonaventure, but still a solid top-150 team with good depth to tune up with before heading into Big East play.

The Times Union (Albany NY paper) reported Dana Tate was no longer with the Siena Basketball Team. The head coach wishes him luck. No details provided.

Reaction Score
no. it' not a matter of shying away from big games it's shying away from flying across the country. we haven't even left the state to play yet. we cant unnecessarily risk an infection the week before conference play starts. driving to philly for a double header would be best case scenario
I don't understand this. Why are other teams doing it then? We literally just watched Nova play Texas in Texas. As others said, other major teams are traveling across the country to play. Why are we different? I really don't get this mentality. Just take precautions and travel and play a freaking game that is much needed!
If we have a plan already in place for a game fine, but I swear if we go this week without a game I'm not going to be happy and/or understand why.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this
if we had been able to play Vandy, USC, NC State and one other high major next week without leaving CT we would be viewed as the smartest program in the country.

it's not our fault the Vandy and NC State and Richmond games fell through, we did everything we were supposed to and were simply unlucky. There's no need to drastically change our approach at this late stage. i'm optimistic we can get schedule a high major game or two this week that's within driving distance

Reaction Score
if we had been able to play Vandy, USC, NC State and one other high major next week without leaving CT we would be viewed as the smartest program in the country.

it's not our fault the Vandy and NC State and Richmond games fell through, we did everything we were supposed to and were simply unlucky. There's no need to drastically change our approach at this late stage. i'm optimistic we can get schedule a high major game or two this week that's within driving distance
We basically went over the options available locally and it's either URI, which is highly unlikely, or a trip to PA. That's about it for high majors. So, we are left with few options if we don't travel or someone travels to us from further away.

Reaction Score
either URI, which is highly unlikely, or a trip to PA. That's about it for high majors.
ok either option is preferable to flying half way across the country to play a midde of the pack SEC school

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't understand this. Why are other teams doing it then? We literally just watched Nova play Texas in Texas. As others said, other major teams are traveling across the country to play. Why are we different? I really don't get this mentality. Just take precautions and travel and play a freaking game that is much needed!
If we have a plan already in place for a game fine, but I swear if we go this week without a game I'm not going to be happy and/or understand why.
Other teams are doing it and are having games cancelled left and right for positive tests

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Home and home with Arkansas? We could agree to travel next year.

Reaction Score
Home and home with Arkansas? We could agree to travel next year.
cant see them agreeing to that unless we offered them 2 home games, or at least another neutral within driving distance for them e.g. kansas city or okc

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yeah I mean Nova travelled to TX to play a top 25 Texas team as a part of the big east big 12 challenge and literally showed up right before the game to avoid exposure.
I’m not so sure Jay Wright would opt-in to a last minute game against Arkansas under our current circumstances.

Reaction Score

What games have been arranged at the last minute that involve travel- especially coming into or out of states with significant safety protocols- that don’t involve some kind of previously established matchup or multi-team event (meaning the facilities, including hotel and testing/processing facilities to meet timelines are already arranged and reserved)? It’s not a matter of “taking precautions,” it’s a matter of being able to adhere to the guidelines. It’s not a “mentality,” it’s a frustrating reality.

ETA: Health officials couldn’t reach consensus, so that’s why the Richmond game couldn’t be scheduled, and this is how the multiple levels of testing requirements led to the NC State game being canceled:

“In accordance with the Connecticut Travel Advisory, all members of the NC State program provided a negative test result prior to travel. All members received a PCR test immediately upon arrival at Mohegan Sun and again received negative results prior to their matchup against UMass Lowell on December 3. In accordance with NCAA protocols, the team tested again today, 24 hours prior to their matchup with UConn scheduled for December 5. Upon determination of the positive test result, tomorrow’s game has been canceled and tracing protocols have been enacted.”

And that’s not even mentioning the lost Vanderbilt game when those guys couldn’t even get out of Tennessee safely. I get it, no one cares about the reasoning. We’re sick of it all, but it’s what we’re facing.

Eric needs a raise after this season!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What games have been arranged at the last minute that involve travel- especially coming into or out of states with significant safety protocols- that don’t involve some kind of previously established matchup or multi-team event (meaning the facilities, including hotel and testing/processing facilities to meet timelines are already arranged and reserved)? It’s not a matter of “taking precautions,” it’s a matter of being able to adhere to the guidelines. It’s not a “mentality,” it’s a frustrating reality.

ETA: Health officials couldn’t reach consensus, so that’s why the Richmond game couldn’t be scheduled, and this is how the multiple levels of testing requirements led to the NC State game being canceled:

“In accordance with the Connecticut Travel Advisory, all members of the NC State program provided a negative test result prior to travel. All members received a PCR test immediately upon arrival at Mohegan Sun and again received negative results prior to their matchup against UMass Lowell on December 3. In accordance with NCAA protocols, the team tested again today, 24 hours prior to their matchup with UConn scheduled for December 5. Upon determination of the positive test result, tomorrow’s game has been canceled and tracing protocols have been enacted.”

Also, Eric needs a raise after this season!
Really appreciate everything you post NJHoops. It must get old constantly explaining reality to idiots.

Reaction Score
You can't just "hop on a plane" safely - the safest way for the team to travel is by charter. Getting a charter flight at the last minute is not only incredibly expensive, but it comes with inherent health risks too. Most of these games teams flew across the country before were pre-planned and schedules were booked in advance to ensure best possible safety precautions. It's really an apples/oranges comparison. Also, teams flying here would have to have their health protocols reviewed by the state in order to bypass the travel requirements. So it's not like Arkansas can just hop on a plane and come here without quarantine requirements, especially since they'd likely have to stay overnight.

Reaction Score
While obviously I agree our priority should be to get a game in before next Friday, does anyone also agree that a full week of practices might be beneficial ?

Reaction Score
While obviously I agree our priority should be to get a game in before next Friday, does anyone also agree that a full week of practices might be beneficial ?

We're talking about practice? Practice? Not the game.

Reaction Score
Depaul is back on Covid pause tonight. No game is a guarantee including this Friday vs St Johns. Not sure we can afford to wait a week between games when there is no telling if that next game will actually happen.

It doesn't gotta be Arkansas, but it's gotta be someone...anyone...

Reaction Score
Depaul is back on Covid pause tonight. No game is a guarantee including this Friday vs St Johns. Not sure we can afford to wait a week between games when there is no telling if that next game will actually happen.

It doesn't gotta be Arkansas, but it's gotta be someone...anyone...
If their pause is 2 weeks, we’d be their 1st game.

Reaction Score
I think if this team played intramurals they might even rival the Cash Money dynasty from the late 90s and early 00s.

Toolzie, Cash money , there is a blast from the past! , Was roommates and good friends with 3 of their players during my years in Storrs , They were a dynasty !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom