Next move is? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next move is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Give up on football? Uh - no.

An ideal situation right now, is a b-ball split with us remaining in the B-ball league, and retaining the big east tourney in MSG proceeds, and then exploring the options of going forward with scheduling and media rights in football as an independant, and filling our football schedule with the regional schools, that will generate interest, viewership and ticket sales.
And no hope for a bowl game. Sounds peachy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

3 home games a year doesn't sound like a recipe for success?
They can't schedule a single OOC game for 14 inside a conf.

They are going to schedule 12?

Reaction Score
I would go independent or beghard to the B10 w/ a basketball only (georgetown?) for olympic sports only (assuming a full invite is not coming)and indy in football. I would do whatever it takes to make the ACC's bet that we will be around as their safety school a bad bet - and give another conference the benefit of our NY geography. If indy, I would try to make a deal w/ the B10 network to show some FB games and/or SNY to show our games. I agree w/ what has been said that going indy in FB sends the message we are not willing to be in a 2nd fiddle FB conference. Everything in this process is about perception.

Reaction Score
All you guys who want to NOW go with the basketball league realize that Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville ain't going to be there any more, right? The remainder is decidely mid-majorish. Georgetown is far and away the class, followed by Marquette, I guess. And of course the "Big 4" St Johns, Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence. God help us.

Reaction Score
If the ACC found us undesirable I can't see the B1G having ANY interest at all

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Don't be so sure. Rutgers and Maryland are "desirable"? Big 10 is all about TV sets on cable right now. I see it as a likely move, actually. I just hope, selfishly, that they don't take UVA, but rather look to somebody like Missouri (who they passed over, and who sees now that they don't fit in the SEC), or maybe Kansas.

Reaction Score

There's no reason why we couldn't negotiate a bowl game contract. Independants have had bowl game relationships for decades. Unless the entire university finances are a charade, the University of Connecticut is a financially viable institution that isn't anywhere near where the likes of Rutgers and Maryland were before the Big 10 came in with their money, and the revenue streams from athletics related to the Big East conference, aren't a bank breaker for the school.

The question is - are we better off long term by signing a media deal for football with this new conference, or by striking out in football on our own. It does behoove the athletic deaprtment to remain aligned with teh same catholic backbone of the basketball conference, that we joined in 1979 in basketball, and non-revenue sports.

Personally, I think that Susan Herbst, and the UConn BOT, are probably the only people right now that are going to determine whether or not the Big East survives, or dissolves.

It's sad that it's come to this. Could have been avoided so many, many times, and the Big East - with a visionary leader, could be pulling the strings right now, that the Big 10 conference is capable of pulling.

Coulda shoulda - hindsight 20/20.

We gotta move forward. And with that - I"m done talking about this - out of my control.

We've got a football game to play Saturday, and as has been the case all season long, we are NOT overmatched, and I expect our Huskies to go out there and roll those cincy players in the frozen dirt, and get us to a post season game.

THey better all be focused on their jobs this week, every minute, every day.

This confernece alignment crap is nothing new to UConn.

Reaction Score
Did I miss Rutgers' ACC invitation?
Context. The original question: why would B1G want UConn after the ACC didn't want them?

My response implied that what the ACC and B1G find desirable has been proven to be different by RU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom